[WIP v1.00] Dark Forces

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: [WIP v1.00] Dark Forces

Post by Enjay »

This is working out pretty nicely. The incidental sounds (pickups and so on) in some ways conveyed more of the DF feeling than even the weapons do. The concussion rifle definitely needs to be looked at though. With a single shot in each room each it was able to clear the two rooms that were full of stormtroopers (normally imps) and all the trandoshans (normally barons) standing facing the dark trooper (cyberdemon).
Lars

Post by Lars »

Looks verry good!
I think the projectiles should be bright though
Ral22
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Ral22 »

Have all of the enemies (supposedly) been replaced? I'm still encountering Revenants and Lost Souls. Also, count me as another to point out the imbalance of the Concussion Rifle and the enemy who uses them.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it. I made a little music wad using Shadows of the Empire's music, and it fits beautifully.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Ral22 wrote:Have all of the enemies (supposedly) been replaced? I'm still encountering Revenants and Lost Souls.
They are a WIP in replacing all Doom monsters, there is less Doom monsters now than there was before. :mrgreen:
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Valhalla, some of the suggestions were noted - the explosive damage for some weapons were tweaked to coincide more with the values in the game. And I doubt I'll nerf the HOTH Trooper any.. just kill him ASAP whenever you can. All I can think of is to lower his health a tad. I'm also tweaking all the explosions to have a radius that I think is more appropriate, judging from how far you can get damaged from splash damage in the game.

I'll also have to work on giving more Kyle sounds to the player, so stay tuned.

And the next version will have to wait for A_RaySpray to possible be implemented if you guys want a fixed Concussion Rifle, because the source is adding damage to the blasts already being spawned, hence why it's so incredibly overpowered.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I strongly suggest you nerf the Hoth Trooper, he spawns often, and in groups, plus the projectiles are difficult to avoid. If you fight a group of them at even awareness, I guarantee you they are going to tear you up from full HP/Shields to almost none.
armymen12002003
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

good mod been playing this with the darkest hour wads
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Good stuff. My bro played DF
The Good:
-Mostly faithful to the original DF, and it's pretty fun, and it'll be even better when the enemies are finished being added.
The Bad:
-Blaster Rifle is just a little too accurate.
-Hoth Troopers fire too fast-Their repeater fires faster than yours (I'm sorry, but that's cheating. Chaingunners never fired faster then you did)!
-DF damage values were completely static, as it turns out, but they came with a nasty little thing: The damage decreased over distance (so, you can't snipe in DF.), so you did full damage in short-medium range, and then it went slightly down.
-Revives should replace Megasphere.
-Berserk needs a proper replacement.
-I need a fist, just to punch stuff for the hell of it.
-I believe you started DF with 100 Shields to start, IIRC.
-You couldn't pick up a shield recharge if you were at 200 shields. You could here.
-I think armor bonuses being replaces by the 20-shield battery is slightly unbalanced (either the map is a joke because so much armor, or the map is ridiculous hard because there's none), So I'd recommend:
^ Armor bonuses have a 25% to drop a shield recharge.
^ Green Armor spawns 5 of them around the spawn spot of the armor
^ Blue Armor spawns 10 in similar fashion.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

The Blaster is exactly the same as DF, except the ROF is slightly slower.

The fists are already there, not sure why people can't use them...

You did start with 100 shields, but I think on hard mode it carries on whatever you gained from previous levels, even if your shields were depleted.

The only thing you can snipe with in DF was the Bryar Pistol, it killed Storm Troopers in 2 hits no matter the range.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Sorry, my giant comment was using the wrong version, lol.
Anyways, my complaints as of now:
-Armor is too wildly placed, since I only get 20 armor off a blue armor, but 20 off an armor bonus. As I said earlier, I'd make the Green and Blue armors spawn multiple shield recharges (each worth 20).
-I believe medikits in DF only gave 20 health, IIRC.
-IMO, trandoshans should replace Archviles, barons replaced with phase1 dark troopers (as well as the mancubi), as the phase 2 was basically a you-only-saw-this-once-in-a-level monster (with the exception of Arc Hammer, which SPAMMED them)
The Good
-Hoth troopers no longer OP, yay
-More enemies, yay (implement Mohc as the Spider Mastermind, though, if you can)!
-FISTS FTW!
-More Ammo yay!
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Untitled wrote:Sorry, my giant comment was using the wrong version, lol.
Anyways, my complaints as of now:
-Armor is too wildly placed, since I only get 20 armor off a blue armor, but 20 off an armor bonus. As I said earlier, I'd make the Green and Blue armors spawn multiple shield recharges (each worth 20).
-I believe medikits in DF only gave 20 health, IIRC.
-IMO, trandoshans should replace Archviles, barons replaced with phase1 dark troopers (as well as the mancubi), as the phase 2 was basically a you-only-saw-this-once-in-a-level monster (with the exception of Arc Hammer, which SPAMMED them)
The Good
-Hoth troopers no longer OP, yay
-More enemies, yay (implement Mohc as the Spider Mastermind, though, if you can)!
-FISTS FTW!
-More Ammo yay!
Have a look at my wall of text a page or 2 back, it's got a monster list and other suggestions you may like. :-)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

puttin' a bookmark.
nothing to everyone, but it's really worth to do this.
i'm waiting for your decorated boss fight on the moon! :D

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”