Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
-Ghost-

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.8 Beta]

Post by -Ghost- »

If you get rid of Proficiency, maybe you could replace it with an Engineering skill or something? It could make armor/shields more effective the more points you put in, rather than the flat out damage reduction of defense.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Ribo Zurai wrote:For some reason I can't walk/run anymore.
Probably because of the new max Speed slider in the options. Set that to whatever you want.
karmakazi

Post by karmakazi »

the current health/armor and maximum health/armor are reversed.
Spoiler:
edit: included is a photo of the stat screen to and anomalous status readout.
Last edited by karmakazi on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

Kyle873 wrote:
Probably because of the new max Speed slider in the options. Set that to whatever you want.
Those options are stuck in 0.0 and Unknown, and I've resetted GZDoom at least thrice and they don't change.

EDIT: Found a way to make it work. Add the CVARs and their values in ZDoom.ini.

Code: Select all

drpg_maxspeed=300
That can also fix the Unknown in the other options, all you need to do is add their CVARs to the ini file and give them values.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

karmakazi wrote:the current health/armor and maximum health/armor are reversed.
Spoiler:
edit: included is a photo of the stat screen to and anomalous status readout.
Crap. Forgot to change some areas of the HUD when I rearranged a few variables.
Ribo Zurai wrote:
Kyle873 wrote:
Those options are stuck in 0.0 and Unknown, and I've resetted GZDoom at least thrice and they don't change.

drpg_maxspeed=300
That can also fix the Unknown in the other options, all you need to do is add their CVARs to the ini file and give them values.
So you're saying that you had to do this even after you tried restoring to defaults in the Doom RPG Options menu?
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

Kyle873 wrote:So you're saying that you had to do this even after you tried restoring to defaults in the Doom RPG Options menu?
Yes, the newest menu options such as the X/Y Position of the Skill Text and the Max Speed are always zero or unknown.
AtomicBlizzard

Post by AtomicBlizzard »

This might feel a bit out-of-place, but is there a way to add more weapons to the shop? At least in a bonus pk3 file or something? I would like to see that in a near future.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Big problem. The moment I started a new game with this mod, all of my movement controls were disabled. I could turn in place, jump, crouch, and fire. But I couldn't move forward, back, or strafe left or right. I tried remapping them and everything, but I was still frozen in place. I removed the doomrpg.pk3 file from my GZDoom launcher and ran the game normally, and it worked fine. I don't know what went wrong.
E.C.S

Post by E.C.S »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:Big problem. The moment I started a new game with this mod, all of my movement controls were disabled. I could turn in place, jump, crouch, and fire. But I couldn't move forward, back, or strafe left or right. I tried remapping them and everything, but I was still frozen in place. I removed the doomrpg.pk3 file from my GZDoom launcher and ran the game normally, and it worked fine. I don't know what went wrong.
Just a little tip: Read the last pages before posting a problem. In this case you will realize how to fix that problem reading this post:
Ribo Zurai wrote:Those options are stuck in 0.0 and Unknown, and I've resetted GZDoom at least thrice and they don't change.

drpg_maxspeed=300
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

OK thanks, I'll try that. I had searched the thread for movement issues, but I didn't know that particular post was referring to the same problem.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

I'm still looking into a good way to fix the CVARs. Sorry about the issues, I'm working on it.
karmakazi

Post by karmakazi »

Kyle873 wrote:I'm still looking into a good way to fix the CVARs. Sorry about the issues, I'm working on it.
Sorry nothing. Thanks for the awesome mod. When I post bugs, its only an effort to help, not to complain.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Now that I can actually playtest it (sorry for posting a redundant complaint before) I have some comments and suggestions.

The difficulty balance seems just right. Unfair is ironically more fair than the Nightmare setting of classic Doom, since you're progressively getting stronger anyway, and the fast or respawning monsters are optional via the ZDoom menu anyway. It's a good challenge without being frustrating. I like the use of the aesthetic mod features; that particular mod, like D64Stuff, is one of my favorite sprite update mods. The risk / reward model is very well designed, as it gives new incentive for a completionist style of gameplay. I also have to say that this mod greatly increases the replay value of classic Doom games.

A few suggestions:

* The skill and stat menus need an undo / cancel option (unless I missed it) similar to other RPG mods. This would let you see the effects of point investments before actually spending skill points.
* I'm not sure having a pull-down shop that you can summon any time you want makes a lot of sense. Maybe it should go at the end of every mission instead? Speaking of the shop, the selling option doesn't seem to be implemented. (Edit: I was apparently doing it wrong, you can definitely use the Super Shotgun in Doom 1.)
* Documentation. The ZIP file should include a readme, which could simply include content from the OP, as well as list which features still need to be implemented as of the current version. I've repeatedly run into the issue of spending skill points or money on things I can't use because they're not implemented, like spell abilities and frag grenades.
* I've noticed it's possible to pick up, and therefore waste, items that you don't need. For example, it's possible to pick up medkits despite being at full health, or energy orbs despite being at full energy.
Vigilante

Post by Vigilante »

The skill and stat menus need an undo
IMO it only looks useful because of balance issue. If things were more balanced, Having one point "too much" in a skill / stat should never be a hindrance.
"Shop anywhere" is useful for example on Plutonia, I've started a game on "hard" and depending on luck, sometimes there's just not enough ammo in the map to kill the boosted monsters. Buying ammo becomes vital to press forward. If it does not seem to make sense, you can imagine they warp items to you by using the teleport technology.
By the way the prices seem weird, some "boxes of 5" are more expensive than 5 x single ammo. It should be the other way round.
Wasted items: Are you sure they're not stored in the "Heretic inventory" ? Default keys [ ] to navigate and and Enter to use.

To Kyle873: Would it be possible to change difficulty in the course of the game, for example when leaving the Outpost ? Player would normally start in the lowest difficulty, where the monsters drop ONLY the first row of accesories / shieldparts. From the outpost, when the player thinks he has enough equipment and stats to face stronger monsters, he can pick one difficulty higher, where items from rows 1 and 2 can drop, but all monsters are thougher, and hit harder. The nice thing is that the player balances himself.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Vigilante wrote:To Kyle873: Would it be possible to change difficulty in the course of the game, for example when leaving the Outpost ? Player would normally start in the lowest difficulty, where the monsters drop ONLY the first row of accesories / shieldparts. From the outpost, when the player thinks he has enough equipment and stats to face stronger monsters, he can pick one difficulty higher, where items from rows 1 and 2 can drop, but all monsters are thougher, and hit harder. The nice thing is that the player balances himself.
You cannot change the skill of the game while in-game.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”