Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
-Ghost-

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.8 Beta]

Post by -Ghost- »

I think the orange timestop enemies might need to be a little more scarce. In a big monster crowd it's pretty easy to chain 2-3 of them together and wipe out a few rooms at no risk. I've been playing this with those Brutalized Doom 2 hardcore maps.
karmakazi

Post by karmakazi »

-Ghost- wrote:I think the orange timestop enemies might need to be a little more scarce. In a big monster crowd it's pretty easy to chain 2-3 of them together and wipe out a few rooms at no risk. I've been playing this with those Brutalized Doom 2 hardcore maps.
When you say Brutalized do you mean optimized for BD, or is it just a way of saying that the maps have a lot of enemies in them? Also if you look starting on line 121 in actors/randomizers you can alter the unique monster spawn rates in a way you find more satisfying.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

karmakazi wrote:
-Ghost- wrote:I think the orange timestop enemies might need to be a little more scarce. In a big monster crowd it's pretty easy to chain 2-3 of them together and wipe out a few rooms at no risk. I've been playing this with those Brutalized Doom 2 hardcore maps.
When you say Brutalized do you mean optimized for BD, or is it just a way of saying that the maps have a lot of enemies in them? Also if you look starting on line 121 in actors/randomizers you can alter the unique monster spawn rates in a way you find more satisfying.
I'm going to change the rates up a bit anyway, I acually agree with what he said, I've just had it happen myself, got +60 Temestop :P
karmakazi

Post by karmakazi »

Kyle873 wrote:
karmakazi wrote:
I'm going to change the rates up a bit anyway, I acually agree with what he said, I've just had it happen myself, got +60 Temestop :P
This does not happen frequently in the original IWADS, in my experience. I was going to look into maybe making it into an aura (or at least try) as well as making the auras toggleable with a set ep per second burn rate.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

karmakazi wrote:
I meant these maps by Mr. Chris (http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32929). They definitely have a lot more enemies in them, but can fun with other mods as well, not just Brutal Doom.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

-Ghost- wrote:
karmakazi wrote:
I meant these maps by Mr. Chris (http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32929). They definitely have a lot more enemies in them, but can fun with other mods as well, not just Brutal Doom.
Yeah, they are considered the hardcore maps that are designed to be harder but still beatable original level edits.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Update

Fixed a few more bugs, lowered the Purple/Yellow rates, and added a new ability. You can "Overdrive" a skill, which means to use it even if you don't have the appropriate EP available. However, this will bring your EP into negative values, which will give you a burnout penalty while negative. Your EP must regenerate up to 0 before you can use any skills again.

To use a skill in Overdrive, hold Run (Shift default) and press the Skill key.
karmakazi

Post by karmakazi »

Kyle873 wrote:Update

Fixed a few more bugs, lowered the Purple/Yellow rates, and added a new ability. You can "Overdrive" a skill, which means to use it even if you don't have the appropriate EP available. However, this will bring your EP into negative values, which will give you a burnout penalty while negative. Your EP must regenerate up to 0 before you can use any skills again.

To use a skill in Overdrive, hold Run (Shift default) and press the Skill key.
Nice! Had an idea I'm kind of at sea about, adding colored halos around the heads of the unique monsters.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Kyle873 wrote:Update
You can now see how many of an item you have in your inventory in the shop menu.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

On the subject of shop, will there be any additions to it? All it currently does is allow you to buy weapons and that's it...
karmakazi

Post by karmakazi »

Valherran wrote:On the subject of shop, will there be any additions to it? All it currently does is allow you to buy weapons and that's it...
You can navigate with strafe left or right into different menus.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Valherran wrote:On the subject of shop, will there be any additions to it? All it currently does is allow you to buy weapons and that's it...
Turn on "Shop Anywhere" in the options to be able to change shop pages.
galactus

Post by galactus »

This mod is very fun, but it's much too easy in my opinion, even the very hard wads are extremely easy if you're on a high level.In my opinion you should add some custom monsters.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

It appears that sometimes the Skill/Stat Coins' idle noise will stay on the spot even after you pick the coin up.
Vigilante

Post by Vigilante »

I played latest version for the first 24 maps of plutonia 2 on intermediate difficulty, ended up level 47, something like 3 hours of play in two sittings.
The combo bonus is so important (especially when the "chain" includes boss monsters) that the game quickly resolves into finding how to abuse it.
From earlier this year I had already seen how buying a "rune of plenty" is a cheap and guaranteed huge combo in big maps if you have a non-empty BFG. But very awkward to use the buy menu each time, so I didn't try this time.
First thing I learnt was improving STR until a single DB shot can kill most Doom2 monsters (from caco to hell knight), then make sure each shot kills one of them - or kills a zombi and wounds a larger demon.
Second was using the white aura, which ends up the only worthwhile one. I made the huge mistake of increasing it to level 2 (double the cost for no significant benefit), but still, around level 30 I started maximizing STR and ENERGY, and I could re-cast the aura when it was nearly empty, continuing a combo for many minutes (watch aura counter from time to time, count remaining seconds in my head) Combo counter doesn't reset on map start, so if you cast aura immediatley you can continue the chain! My biggest chain was in the 500s before I actually ran out of energy, and I gained 3 levels at a time.
I feel I've done everything I wanted to try with the combo system, and now it annoys me more than anything...
If I have a sugestion for a variant that I find much less a hassle, it would be a "bloodlust" skill/effect that scales player's (damage/speed/thoughness/whatever) according to a counter that increases whenever a blood splat appears (usually caused by player, but infighting and player wounds may count, why not?), and constantly reduces over time. : This "frenzy level" would increase when player is in active fighting, and slowly reduce to nothingness in a lull. Every single bullet would 'count', and the timing would be less "all-or-nothing" than the current combo game - where zombies and imps are the only ones that count until you reach unbalanced parts.

Generally, I find it a pity that you have put many new complex game elements, and yet I find not so many things to play with...
- Armors fill up the inventory over time : you only ever need the best one, but the game doesn't give you an option to clean (sell?) the rest.
- Health also fills up the inventory, though this might be a balance issue. Still, the total amount of items makes it impossible to select a "contextual use" item during fight: invuln when you're dying, radsuit if you accidentally fall in lava.
- exp gives points that you can put in a stat that gives your more exp... how does it make the game better than if it didn't exist :/ ?
- increasable player run speed : I put zero points, and was annoyed with the permanent rainbow bonus : faster player is harder to control precisely (shooting near pillars etc.) so this stat breaks the RPG rule 'bigger should be better, not worse'
- The cost of most/all auras too, as well as heal skill (higher level shouldn't have same or worse "effect divided by cost")
- increasing the damage by a huge factor makes ammo plentiful for bullets/shotgun. Soon, maps have many times what you need to kill all the monsters they contain. Cells have lesser effect due to bfg overkill, rockets I'm not sure because I killed myself a few times (self-damage scales?) and used them less. The game effects that speeds up the player animation doesn't have this problem, because you eat the same ammo to do the same damage.

What you've started with shields is interesting, though I didn't find an other shield until level 30. How about having some vary player speed (slow down but better defense) and mass (makes player less vulnerable to pushing, very useful on some tricky platforms where a fireball can push you to death : these give options that are interesting for specific places or maps. If you had one that protects from self-damage that would be nice too :) rocket-jumper armor.

About health and armor, a simplification would be to make the pickups fill two counters on the player, medic supplies and armor materials, if the player is already at full health and fully repaired armor when he picks them. Then either a player command or automatic gradual effect would draw from these counters to perform healing and repair - how fast or efficiently could depend on skill.

The runes are nice though I don't understand all of them (Time stop oO), THEY are what the upgradable skills should be, selected and launched through the standard inventory system which is more handy than the skill menu...

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”