Doom 64 Wad Project [GZDoom] Version 1.0 released!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Unholypimpin

Doom 64 Wad Project [GZDoom] Version 1.0 released!

Post by Unholypimpin »

Hello everyone, I would like to introduce a new project I am working on. It is a Doom 64 project that will have brand new maps and some new enemies and weapons. My hopes in the future of this project(when i get better at blender) will be to make sprites for all the missing enemies in doom64.
Those missing enemies if you dont know were the chaingunner, revenant, Archvile and spider-mastermind.

THIS PROJECT IS FOR GZDOOM, even though one could play in zdoom but it wouldn't have dynamic lights.

THIS PROJECT IS 60% COMPLETE

INTRO/TITLEMAP

MAPS SO FAR
======================
-Entry Point - 100%
-Water Facility - 100%
-U.A.C. Factor - 100%
-Chemical Factory - 100%
-Storage Depot - 100%
-Supply Yard - 100%
-BlackOut - 20%
-Down Town - 0%
-The Pillar - 0%
-Callisto Spaceport - 5%
======================

Atm there are two new weapons, The Firestorm and rifle. The firestorm is like the plasma rifle but its ammo cuts through enemies in a line and its rate of fire and accuracy arnt as good either. The rifle has pinpoint accuracy(good for sniping) and can kill multiple weaker enemies in 1 shot. Rifle rounds are kind of rare so you wouldn't want to use them for every encounter.

There are 2 maps done and the third is well on its way. Hopefully Ill have a playable alpha test in the next two days(if I dont get lazy).

Here are some screenshots of the project so far.
Spoiler:
The maps will have everything you would expect from doom64, like dynamic lighting, 3d floors, colored rooms and changing sectors.

Atm i'm not looking for mappers, but once i got all the resources done if anyone wishes to submit a map for this project then they can do so.

If you wish to contribute in a different way, like graphics or sounds then let me know.

Version 1.0 of the wad has been released!! This version has 3 maps. here is the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydvsdf7atu7za ... 7.wad?dl=0
Last edited by Unholypimpin on Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 13 times in total.
PFL

Re: Doom 64 Wad Project [GZDoom]

Post by PFL »

:thumb: Oh full yes.

Doom 64 is my favorite. Played it hundreds of times. Let me play through it when you want some feedback; I deliver :-)

Don't forget the ambiant sound as it is a major part of the fun in Doom 64. I would consider asking Aubrey Hodges if he feels for sharing some ambiant audio files for it (for prosperity). http://www.aubreyhodges.com/

THIS PROJECT IS 3% COMPLETE :cry:
Average

Post by Average »

Have you considered doing this project in Doom64 EX, at all? I reckon that port could really benefit from something like this. Actually, it could benefit from any kind of mapper attention... :P
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Except with all due respect I'd rather see it on a port that could potentially allow for stable netplay.

Looking good so far, curious on how the revenant would look in doom64 :p
Pedro vc

Post by Pedro vc »

This wad contains a mastermind sprite that may fit in the doom 64 theme
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

I actually have a placeholder sprite set for the spidermastermind. Hes an arachnotron with an metal face mask and spikes on his legs. The revenant will look similar to how it already is but with a more alien like skeletal structure(maybe archvile bones?) With two hellish cannons on his shoulders and horns on his head.

I actually dont know anything about Doom64 EX, but i thought it would be easier to just use the gzdoom port so that people could play online. Though idk if any of the online ports can support the more recent decorate.
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

Try using TEXTURES with GLDEFs to simulate Doom64 lighting if you're dead set on using GZDoom, it'd add a lot of "authentic value" to your maps. But really, this kind of project might be better suited to Doom64EX since using that port doesn't rely on you using illegal sprite rips.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

darkhaven3 wrote:Try using TEXTURES with GLDEFs to simulate Doom64 lighting if you're dead set on using GZDoom, it'd add a lot of "authentic value" to your maps. But really, this kind of project might be better suited to Doom64EX since using that port doesn't rely on you using illegal sprite rips.
It'd also look a heck of a lot better. Doom64 textures without Doom64's lighting system are just a mush of beige.
Marnetmar

Post by Marnetmar »

AlwaysDoomed wrote:I actually have a placeholder sprite set for the spidermastermind. Hes an arachnotron with an metal face mask and spikes on his legs. The revenant will look similar to how it already is but with a more alien like skeletal structure(maybe archvile bones?) With two hellish cannons on his shoulders and horns on his head.

I actually dont know anything about Doom64 EX, but i thought it would be easier to just use the gzdoom port so that people could play online. Though idk if any of the online ports can support the more recent decorate.
Does the revenant actually fit in with the rest of the Doom 64 monsters?
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

A revenant with a sprite edit and darker colors might actually work in doom64. @darkhaven3 , esselfortium This wad isn't suppose to be 100% accurate to doom64, but then again doom64 used alot of different color lighting to change the color of many monsters and textures.
Kaal979

Post by Kaal979 »

Yes - it looks quite goos alongside the others
not last thanked to its already cartoony style!
I darkened him and also made abit bigger
though im not sure if this cant be made better since
many monsters in my file have invisible collosions!
Anyhow id appreciate if you liked my work for yours:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34263
Maybe in case you could help me with the collosions?

P.S.: Im btw experienced
in recolouring of any kind.
Last edited by Kaal979 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

AlwaysDoomed wrote:A revenant with a sprite edit and darker colors might actually work in doom64. @darkhaven3 , esselfortium This wad isn't suppose to be 100% accurate to doom64, but then again doom64 used alot of different color lighting to change the color of many monsters and textures.
It's not really an issue of accuracy. The Doom64 textures are bland and monotonous without the lighting system they were designed for, or at least something reasonably approximating it.
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

I should go plug in my N64 and play doom64 to see how they actually look again.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

nice i love where this is goin ill be watchin this
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

I'm hoping to release the 3 map demo by tonight or tomorrow.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”