Soulcrusher 1.3 (Officially a cacowards runner-up!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Alterworldruler

Re: Soulcrusher - Final version is out!

Post by Alterworldruler »

That's a bunch of unexpected bugs, guess the secret weapon is so strong it's game-breaking hahaha. I will need to make it less ridicoulous ;)

Edit: I just killed the map 7 boss with the gun and it didn't break outside the boss health bar, you just have to step on the lift.
PFL

Post by PFL »

Do you get this result after the fix ? If not, consider I wasn't able to step on the lift since it was still up (the picture).

EDIT. Finished
Spoiler:
Overall IMPRESSED. Major piece of work there, no doubt. Fun, challenging and well designed too. Considering the Cacowards given over the years, yours should have been there too. Maybe some bugs prevented it, I don't know. But even so. I give you a virtual one. WOW. Don't forget: I will be playing this for sure in some years. And I will remember most part where I found something strange ... and having fun to find some places you left unfixed :-)

Alterworldruler

Right, I should be able to fix up everything in next 7 days, today i'll be too busy with other stuff. The fixed main wad should hopefully bring it to the cacowards-able state. AND somebody already spellchecked the story for me, although I admit it could do with some adjustments. But I swore to myself that I would'nt rewrite the story again except the ending so eh :P

Also the boss cutscenes are skippable so large amounts of text aren't a problem really.
Alterworldruler

Re: Soulcrusher - 1.1 Update

Things took faster than I thought and the 1.1 is out
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3tbfjdoufj1a80e/SCMain.wad

Changelog:
- The secret gun no longer breaks boss's health bars, neither breaks the STATK boss.
- You no longer can jump out of the map on STATK
- A lot of HOMs
- Made the slot 7 gun stronger.
- One of final boss's attacks were bugged due strange default behavior of A_LOOKEX
And a lot more.

Things to come in 1.2:
- Dialogue boxes replacing current way the cutscenes are done.
- Spellchecking of the entire story.

Additional note for those who say Soulcrusher should have all-around custom graphics:
There's nothing I can do about it period, Nmn left the doom community long time ago, I asked for help of likes like
Eriance and other zdoom artists but unfortunately got no help. So could you kindly deal with it?
PFL

Post by PFL »

:thumb:
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

I´ll not lie, this mod would be very cool if have have a narrator for the texts from the guy :D (Like i did on cursed maze intro, you see the text ex :"Soldier, go to the teleport", and you listen the same thing :D)

I just miss some sounds on it, but well i for me if you replace some sprites like doom 3 imp for legal sprites (or even if you create some) I would really recomend this be an iwad *__* [or at least come with freedoom iwad with many things replaced by your mod]
Alterworldruler

ibm5155 wrote:I´ll not lie, this mod would be very cool if have have a narrator for the texts from the guy :D (Like i did on cursed maze intro, you see the text ex :"Soldier, go to the teleport", and you listen the same thing :D)

I just miss some sounds on it, but well i for me if you replace some sprites like doom 3 imp for legal sprites (or even if you create some) I would really recomend this be an iwad *__* [or at least come with freedoom iwad with many things replaced by your mod]
I considered voice acting at one point but the story isn't... properly checked yet for that.
Also I would need to replace half the sprites with something new that was not taken from any game for it to work as a custom IWAD legally. The problem is, there aren't fitting custom sprites for that, NEITHER anyone is willing to make them. So i'm screwed either way.

Note: I AM GETTING TIRED of all the complaints about lack of original sprites, how many times in the world I have to point out that I ALREADY tried to find people to do monster sprites but failed, or find fitting custom sprites over here in zdoom forums that aren't doomish and fitting. Sorry but i'm REALLY getting tired of hearing it since Nmn left and never came back.
Alterworldruler

Re: Soulcrusher - 1.2 Update (Final!)

The new and final update is out, spellchecking wasn't done, some intended features could'nt make it in due time constraints.

This is a minor update that is intended to make this wad ready for /newstuff reviewing or cacowards (it got nominated). What is fixed:

- The shops work properly now and you can't activate two of them in a row.
- Other minor bugs

What is new:

- Some of the old story text was brought back in form of dynamic messages

Aaaand with this update, i'm calling it quits with doom modding, for an unknown amount of time to come, i'm busy with college, life and so on. The link is in the main post
Alterworldruler

Re: Soulcrusher - 1.2 Update (Cacowards-ready)

Just here to declare that this mod isn't as cacowards-ready as I thought, infact one reviewer on /idgames called Zalewa (I know him) gave it a 2/5 but explained why and even played it through on youtube to show me what did I screw up. Honestly, it did hit me. How crap the level 7 and 8 are in comparison to even already a bit rush-smelling copy paste 5/6.

So long story short, i'm preparing a new update, chances are, level 7 and 8 are gonna be overhauled, if that happens, I won't put out the update UNTIL the levels are good to go and are decent. I have time until late december so I may make it :). I'm doing it to do the mod's potential justice and for the fans who liked it but were dissapointed with certain aspects that were a result of rather unfortunate string of events during it's early development.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Soulcrusher - 1.3 is in works.

Post by wildweasel »

Perhaps now might also be a good time to recruit help with replacing the enemy sprites as well, since that seemed to be a common complaint?
Alterworldruler

Re: Soulcrusher - 1.3 is in works.

wildweasel wrote:Perhaps now might also be a good time to recruit help with replacing the enemy sprites as well, since that seemed to be a common complaint?
Well, with the gameplay done and other stuff, I guess this is the best time to ask about it, main post updated. See details in the main post on what needs to be done before Soulcrusher can become a legit IWAD.

The success of the 2.0 (aka IWAD) release is in hands of the community...
Alterworldruler

Re: Soulcrusher - 1.3 released

Bump. Update released.
Alterworldruler

Re: Soulcrusher 1.3 (Officially a cacowards runner-up!)

http://www.doomworld.com/20years/best3.php

That's right, Soulcrusher DID get mentioned in runner-ups, i'm so happy, it's on par with winning for me.

Well... the future might be bright for this mod after all, but not only this one...
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

aha, there you are. Happy Cacoward Awarded! i knew it could be awarded after played this mod. i was just like playing a different game with a style.

BTW, does need any future updates? it still looks fine, though.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

How did I miss this?
I'm gonna give this a go.
My non noticed review will arrive shortly.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”