Soulcrusher 1.3 (Officially a cacowards runner-up!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Alterworldruler

Re: Soulcrusher - Final version is out!

Post by Alterworldruler »

PFL wrote:I would let it be. It's obvious it wasn't meant to be. It will serve a speedrunner's task.

I'll try to find it :geek:
Yeah I like when speedrunners make some extra-ordinary tricks to sequence break some things, I like to keep such things in most of the time unless it's something that say makes the mod impossible to beat.
CorSair wrote:
Spoiler: about super-secret weapon
I might compose screenshot gallery of places with texturing problems plus few other nitpicks some day. I'll try do it in next week, if possible. But no promises...
The Incendiary shotgun's secondary reload takes view from half of lower screen, and feels rather annoying, in my opinion.
And what's with that shopkeeper in second level? I can't find the right line or place to do shopping. The other shop in the Outer City works, though.
Speaking of the shopkeeper in second level, That glass isn't solid. :P
Also, I would keep those areas open for those speedrunners.
Spoiler: Answered
The incendiary shotgun frames could be adjusted, i'll mess with it probably on Monday.
Weird, usually pressing use in front of shopkeeper's glass did the tricks.
Anywho point is, despite that I released it as final, I plan to release updates over time, mostly bugfixes but I could introduce some new content. Because it's far easier to do that, than start an another behemoth-sized mod.
PFL

Post by PFL »

This spoiler Q & A is tempting ... but I will :nope2:

Edit. Map 2 was a delight. How nice the big secret is ... I managed to get around quite easily again but with full stisfaction. You can skip some steps by jumping here and there like I did before, I am thinking of the laser section, among others. This is what's fun about it too; this adds a bunch of possibilities (replayability wise). However, one little ghost prevented me from passing thru one empty space:
The other one is ok but this one is closed from both sides. That has to be fixed. Your wad is too strong to let these live.
Alterworldruler

That's a weird bug, unfortunately I can't work on fixing these issues today, maybe starting tomorrow.
PFL

Post by PFL »

Yes :?

Map 3 finished. Harder. Awesome visual again and great gameplay. Tried long to open that door from the windowed no purpose room. Nothing it seems.

minor things:
Spoiler:
I'm enjoying this game a lot. 4 ...
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I got totally thrown off-track in the Admin Complex when the doors kept telling me to check the "lower-west" when the solution was apparently in the southeast section of the map. :/

Also, seeing some HOMs in the Police Station. One in an elevator, one in a restroom mirror so far.
Alterworldruler

While i'm gonna bugfix all the things you reported guys, I have something for you, here's something that may get implemented in the upcoming update for the dialogues ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7t0br7b900n60 ... 104831.png

But it's not a guarantee yet.
PFL

Post by PFL »

This is some nice "cutscene shit".

I have now ended map 4, which was excellent, again.

I have these:
Spoiler:
Level 5 seems awesome from start. I'm impressed much by your wad man.
Alterworldruler

Okay so far all reported bugs fixed except the shotgun taking too much space, that might get fixed much later on. Because it would require updating offsets in the monster sprite/sound wad and that's 30MB alone. About the edge/instant death thing, yeah it's supposed to be considered a fall, but I have a solution for this I think, I could include in 32-pixel wide bars that if player would jump over, he would die. Now, the dialogue boxes will probably replace the boss cutscene dialogue on the March 29 update. Later on maybe the banter between Jack and Baxter will be put into such boxes as well. We'll see.

Or I may wait until PFL's done playing the wad so I can fix all the issues noted by him (fixed all of those up to now)

Note: this wad has been officially nominated for Cacowards.
PFL

Post by PFL »

Alterworldruler wrote:
Or I may wait until PFL's done playing the wad so I can fix all the issues noted by him (fixed all of those up to now)

I cannot do more than 2 maps per day. I am a 5 children busy father.

Was it officially released a that time or is it for this year ? This year has great projects already ... and you're the only TC on this (my) list so far :wink:
Alterworldruler

PFL wrote:
Alterworldruler wrote:

I cannot do more than 2 maps per day. I am a 5 children busy father.

Was it officially released a that time or is it for this year ? This year has great projects already ... and you're the only TC on this (my) list so far :wink:
Well yeah, it's been released to /idgames already as it is, however I sent an updated text file linking this zdoom thread so the players can look out for the updates in the future. Chances are, I might upload an another big update later down this year if all goes well (and that would potentially contain a level filling the plothole between level 4 and 5, in theory there may be a new boss fight in there but not sure how I can make it stand out like the rest)
PFL

Post by PFL »

Understood.

5 is down. It was a long one to check for everything since you can virtually go everywhere ... things from my point of view, ...
Spoiler:
It was another awesome map.
PFL

Post by PFL »

Map 6

Very nice base. The map plays much faster than the others. I hope the story isn't inspired by your own family ... in which case I would have to call the police :)
Spoiler:
Alterworldruler

Right, fixed another bunch of bugs you pointed out PFL, I kept the map 5 shortcut, just ensured that it will trigger the boss fight either way :P. And made the shortcut not look like an area you aren't supposed to access.

My stance on speedrunner shortcuts is that they are all right as long as they do not mess with the integral parts of the story (and nope, the story isn't inspired by my family as all characters are fictional).

Apparently one of final boss's attacks do not work right, I need to investigate this.
PFL

Post by PFL »

I will have to try the fixed version one day or another, that's for sure.

The oncle was much harder than his son Arnold. His weapon blasts like Hell. He got me once, really fast. The next one, I ran for cover and gave him the same medecine I had previously given to Arnold. With the oscillator, it was a matter of seconds. You just don't mess with Jake. 8-)

I'll give it another run this evening. Then I have an eastern day off. Guess I will kill Francis ... :D

EDIT. WIP is alive
PFL

Post by PFL »

Map 7.

Wow.
Spoiler:
The rest tomorrow, I hope :-)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”