[WIP] Action Weapons

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sgt. Shivers

[WIP] Action Weapons

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Action Weapons is a weapon replacement mod that is based on action movies and quake 2. It features weapons ranging from something as simple as an uzi to a skull with chainsaws built into it. The weapons are slightly more powerful than usual so I would suggest playing this on a harder difficulty than normal (but not if you are playing a slaughter map with it).

Any suggestions would be nice.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
You can get the mod here: http://www.mediafire.com/?algf5g83nm733a9

I hope you enjoy it!

UPDATE 1: Some graphics cleaned up, some weapons nerfed, shotgun given better spread and charger rifle warmup sped up.
UPDATE 2: Skull gun now hugs the floor, added pillowblasters scripts. (Thanks!)
Last edited by Sgt. Shivers on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PFL

Re: [WIP] Action Weapons

Post by PFL »

No one ? ... ok I'll shoot first.

The goods:

- The "uzi" is perfect.
- The plasma replacement is great but I would a) make it's initial start faster (but still progressive) & b) make it slightly stronger, very little.
- The artifact as a BFG replacement. Not bad. Could work on it a little to give it a better twist, something.

The downside:

- Starting pistol would be great if it's speed was increased A TAD. Otherwise, better to fist fight.
- Chainsaw is kinda ugly and TOO POWERFUL. .3/sec to kill any weak enemies is ... you know what I mean.
- The shotgun is also ugly but it's most needed improvement would have to on the shooting precision. 4 shots to kill a chaingunner ...
- The double is also ugly and it would need a better sound (drop the pumping bass) and a slower mechanism :-)
- The rocket only needs to drop on the launch smoke and on it's trail; it is too much.
- Berserk pack acts like the chainsaw a bit (too powerful): one devastating punch. Lower it a bit, just A BIT. The punching's speed is perfect though.

This is my side of it.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

The mod has been updated.
PFL

Post by PFL »

So fast :o

I find it better this way. Precision on the shotgun is more accurate. I have felt many changes from the earlier version. Perhaps you could leave them both if someone else wants to try them­.

Still, it took me 70 rockets to blow up a cyberdemon ! and almost all of the plasma ammo when using the artefact on the same cyber (resurected :-)) might want to check that. I had not before.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

I tried to make the rocket launcher more anti infantry, and I would recomend using either the charge-rifle or the autoshotgun on bosses.
The skull seems to be as good against bosses as the bfg. It still kills the spidermastermind in 2-3 shots.
Can you think of a better name for the mod?
niculinux

Post by niculinux »

nice weapons. :wink:

I personally don't like energy weapons (the starting pistol and the chaingun replacement (slot 4). The warrior shotgun is fine but I thin the firing rate should be a little slower.
PFL

Post by PFL »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:Can you think of a better name for the mod?
It's your baby :-)
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

So far I tried it, it's pretty cool! Definitely original and fresh. I hope you won't mind few nitpicks? :wink:

The Charge Rifle felt a bit cumbersome to use, especially that it was taking a bunch of munnition each time I wanted only to shoot once... It's yours mod, but I think this change should make it a bit less obnoxious to use:
Spoiler:
The Rocket Launcher's trail is taking up whole of the vision, sigh. This also should help:
Spoiler:
Other than that, the pistol is not using the ammo, unless it was intentional... and as I took a look into the code, there is no floorhugger flag in the skull cannon projectile... yet again, it acts like a one. Double-strange.

It still feels pretty solid, keep up the good work!
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

PillowBlaster wrote:So far I tried it, it's pretty cool! Definitely original and fresh. I hope you won't mind few nitpicks? :wink:

The Charge Rifle felt a bit cumbersome to use, especially that it was taking a bunch of munnition each time I wanted only to shoot once... It's yours mod, but I think this change should make it a bit less obnoxious to use:
Spoiler:
The Rocket Launcher's trail is taking up whole of the vision, sigh. This also should help:
Spoiler:
Other than that, the pistol is not using the ammo, unless it was intentional... and as I took a look into the code, there is no floorhugger flag in the skull cannon projectile... yet again, it acts like a one. Double-strange.

It still feels pretty solid, keep up the good work!
There's a floor hugger flag? Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the code as well, I'll be implementing it now. EDIT: Mod updated!
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

The vertical aspect of your sprites is too tall. It makes it appear like i'm shooting upward. This has a great negative effect to your machinegun since the muzzleflash obscures the aiming.

also lol wat, the megahealth noise for the blaster. Your strange use of item sound cues screw my instincts
Failure

Post by Failure »

Looks good for me.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”