Doomgirl Skin (based on my Crash skin)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Nash

Re: Doomgirl Skin UPDATED: Green chest version avaliable!

Post by Nash »

The girl version just looks like a teenage Doom guy to me...
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

That being done, there's is too much discussion about this. What the player looks like is the artist's taste. If Doomguy really cared about protection, he would have his arms covered. Instead, Doomguy's character is expressed by his bare arms.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

Nash wrote:The girl version just looks like a teenage Doom guy to me...
whos? mine or Ventris?
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Nash wrote:The girl version just looks like a teenage Doom guy to me...
If you mean mine, than I think you may find that teenage boys are built like women. See: Mulan; 800 instances of one pretending to be the other in Shakeapeare; a zillion movies. Short hair and tape, or say, an almost full coverage suit of armor, does wonders.
blackfish wrote:That being done, there's is too much discussion about this. What the player looks like is the artist's taste. If Doomguy really cared about protection, he would have his arms covered. Instead, Doomguy's character is expressed by his bare arms.
Since when are fatigues considered arm protection?
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

blackfish wrote:If Doomguy really cared about protection, he would have his arms covered. Instead, Doomguy's character is expressed by his bare arms.
You're right. The number of vital organs in the arms is mind boggling. It's a good thing bullet proof vests and other types of combat armour come with arm guards in real life.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

I wouldn't mind having protection for my arms if I had the option. They do have a function.

Anyway, Ventris's solution works fine as a unisex option: Normal Doom Marine vs. Thinner Doom Marine.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Goober and my point is that modern soldiers actually don't wear arm protection (aside from elbow pads, which Doomguy has). It's probably just that iD either didn't want to lose consistency with the arm sprites, or didn't feel like drawing wrinkly sleeve material, which would look messy given the art style. ANYWAY I have my own thread, so no need to clutter this one further.

EDIT: I should clear up that I don't actually have a PROBLEM with Virtue's sprites - he's nicely spriting a specific character as put together by iD, not a default Female marine set - I just had an idea and all to actually make a default sprite set with no particular identifying features.
kb1

Post by kb1 »

For me, I would rather see the open chest version. As far as the engine is concerned, DoomGuy/Gal is a rectangle. If I'm playing deathmatch/coop with my girlfriend or my sister, I want to see that difference, plainly. Otherwise, why do it? The open chest makes it obvious, even from a distance. Who cares if, in real life, it would provide less protection? It's a game! Just my opinion.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

kb1 wrote:For me, I would rather see the open chest version. As far as the engine is concerned, DoomGuy/Gal is a rectangle. If I'm playing deathmatch/coop with my girlfriend or my sister, I want to see that difference, plainly. Otherwise, why do it? The open chest makes it obvious, even from a distance. Who cares if, in real life, it would provide less protection? It's a game! Just my opinion.
Ill do an open chest version as well then.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

kb1 wrote:If I'm playing deathmatch/coop with my girlfriend or my sister, I want to see that difference, plainly. Otherwise, why do it?
I dunno, when I play with someone, I rely on the colour of their sprite to let me know who's who. If someone decides to use a Massmouth skin, I don't expect Massmoth to be on the other computer though.
kb1 wrote:The open chest makes it obvious, even from a distance. Who cares if, in real life, it would provide less protection? It's a game! Just my opinion.
That's because there are a number of different wants/needs here. Some people want a "realistic" skin for use as a Doomgirl character (say in a mod or whatever); other people want something less realistic for a slightly different purpose. Some people like the realistic aesthetic, some people like the fantasy aesthetic, some people like a compromise. Some people have some quite serious ideas about this and what they would like to see; others are more light hearted about the whole thing.

None of these positions are invalid and, as far as I'm concerned, bring them all on. The more the merrier. We have a number of Doomguy variations already. Why not a number of Doomgirl ones?

Anyway, all this reminded me of (the picture, not the message)...
Spoiler:
;)
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

Well, that's fair enough for me, lol.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

heres a silly request, but why not got the doomgirl a tan undershirt too? hide some of that clevage ahahaha
kb1

Post by kb1 »

Enjay wrote:I dunno, when I play with someone, I rely on the colour of their sprite to let me know who's who. If someone decides to use a Massmouth skin, I don't expect Massmoth to be on the other computer though.
Yep, good point. I use the color too. I'm kinda looking for "the Definitive DoomGirl" skin, so to speak - something that can be considered a default skin, alongside DoomGuy. And, in a perfect world, DoomGirl would have the "vwep" support, at least for the default weapons, for the same reason.
Enjay wrote:That's because there are a number of different wants/needs here. Some people want a "realistic" skin for use as a Doomgirl character (say in a mod or whatever); other people want something less realistic for a slightly different purpose. Some people like the realistic aesthetic, some people like the fantasy aesthetic, some people like a compromise. Some people have some quite serious ideas about this and what they would like to see; others are more light hearted about the whole thing.

None of these positions are invalid and, as far as I'm concerned, bring them all on. The more the merrier. We have a number of Doomguy variations already. Why not a number of Doomgirl ones?
Of course, you're right here too! :D I guess I went a bit overboard in my last post - my bad. It's all good - to each his (her) own. Again, for me, I'm hoping for a standard DoomGirl with vwep, obviously visually different from a distance, even if a bit over-feminized (but not ridiculous), and available on all clients without having to load a custom skin, per say. As easily pickable as name or color.

EDIT: I think blackfish is onto something with his sprite (don't know about the blue visor, but, looks pretty good).
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

kb1 wrote: EDIT: I think blackfish is onto something with his sprite (don't know about the blue visor, but, looks pretty good).
Not really "his sprite", since i Originally modified the Illicia sprite...so all I need to do is repaste her chest back onto my doomgirl.....
kb1

Post by kb1 »

Virtue wrote:
kb1 wrote: EDIT: I think blackfish is onto something with his sprite (don't know about the blue visor, but, looks pretty good).
Not really "his sprite", since i Originally modified the Illicia sprite...so all I need to do is repaste her chest back onto my doomgirl.....
Sorry, Virtue - I wasn't paying attention. Just wanted to say that it was nice.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”