Ketchup Gore Mod - Test 4

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Enjay

Re: Ketchup Gore Mod - Test 3

Post by Enjay »

Can I suggest that any gib actor that is not supposed to sound like boots on the floor (ie all of them I suspect) either be given the +DONTSPLASH flag or a mass of <10? This will allow the mod to work alongside a footstep terrain mod without it sounding like a bunch of people jumping up and down whenever a bad guy gets shot.
Nemesis6

Post by Nemesis6 »

Two observations -- The pistol seems to gib monsters, or at least the zombies. Same with the chaingun, but with the chaingun it makes a bit more sense. But on the subject of the chaingun; it seems to generate too much blood in relation to how much damage it actually does. When I tried it, I couldn't shake the feeling of "why aren't they dying?"; When I was trying to take some revenants down, I wondered if a bug had slipped in because I didn't seem to be doing any damage. Just to provide some perspective: In Brutal Doom, the amount of blood and gore the chaingun produces is quite adequate; it's lots of bullets doing lots of damage. At least on stronger monsters like the revenant. This might be an artist's discretion issue, but I think you should lower the amount of blood spatter/puffs for the chaingun against stronger enemies if possible.

Pretty goddamn cool!
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Nemesis6 wrote:Two observations -- The pistol seems to gib monsters, or at least the zombies. Same with the chaingun, but with the chaingun it makes a bit more sense. But on the subject of the chaingun; it seems to generate too much blood in relation to how much damage it actually does. When I tried it, I couldn't shake the feeling of "why aren't they dying?"; When I was trying to take some revenants down, I wondered if a bug had slipped in because I didn't seem to be doing any damage. Just to provide some perspective: In Brutal Doom, the amount of blood and gore the chaingun produces is quite adequate; it's lots of bullets doing lots of damage. At least on stronger monsters like the revenant. This might be an artist's discretion issue, but I think you should lower the amount of blood spatter/puffs for the chaingun against stronger enemies if possible.

Pretty goddamn cool!
I don't think that's so much the individual puffs for the chaingun as it is the puffs in general. Every weapon seems to generate the same puffs - mod weapons or vanilla - and create the same general effect of blood. Although the odds of enemies being gibbed is definitely increased with every weapon.
I can also see why Mark said this needs patches for other mods; running a replacement and then Ketchup reverts whatever enemies it can to their vanilla selves, give or take any changed graphics with the same name as their original states. Certainly one way to mess around with things that you don't want enemies replaced via. :)
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

I'd like to point out that most (if not all) of the monsters have their gibhealth set to less than 20, which is why everything gibs so easily. I think that the minor enemies (imps, former humans, etc) have their gibhealth set to 9, which means that in theory it's not exactly difficult to gib them with a pistol (or any other weapon, for that matter; you can gib barons of hell with a plasma rifle).

It also means that monsters will seem to have an even lower gib threshold in mods which multiply monster health via skill settings. Not exactly ideal.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Yeah, I can see this replacing Nashgore as the universal gore mod. That's some nice stuff there, Sarge.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Hellstorm Archon wrote:Yeah, I can see this replacing Nashgore as the universal gore mod. That's some nice stuff there, Sarge.
I really hope it doesn't because Brutal Doom gore looks like crap in software mode, it eats your framerate for dinner if you've got a low-end computer, and it wouldn't fit with the theme of most mods out there.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

twinkieman93 wrote:I really hope it doesn't because Brutal Doom gore looks like crap in software mode, it eats your framerate for dinner if you've got a low-end computer, and it wouldn't fit with the theme of most mods out there.
Brutal Doom is not meant to be ran in software mode.
Last edited by Armaetus on Sat May 18, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Mr. Chris wrote:
twinkieman93 wrote:I really hope it doesn't because Brutal Doom gore looks like crap in software mode, it eats your framerate for dinner if you've got a low-end computer, and it wouldn't fit with the theme of most mods out there.
I know this. That's why if suddenly every single mod was using it, no one could play in software mode anymore, at least without seeing the crappy software Brutal Doom gore.
Dortold

Post by Dortold »

Mr. Chris wrote:
But it does run. And in my opinion looks much better that way.
southpark2010

Post by southpark2010 »

Mr. Chris wrote:
Software beats Open GL by a mile IMHO. It runs much faster, and agreeing with Dortold, it looks much better.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Re: Ketchup Gore Mod - Test 4

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Test 4 is up. Some issues reported here have been resolved.
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy

Post by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy »

Just a side note - There's a single warning listed in the console.
GZDoom console wrote:tried to register class 'serpent' more than once.
Nemesis6

Post by Nemesis6 »

Notice how all the blood splats after he's been shot all land at the same time. It would be nice if it was random, both when it would hit, and how often these splats would happen and how many it would be. Other than that, good work!
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Thank you Sgt.Mark! I really needed a good gore mod for my Retro Encounter, it looks amazing, awesome work :D
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Just so yall know, me and Terminus have been running test servers regarding the next version of the Samsaran Ketchup. While the Chex Violence version is done (Chexter's Zorching will autogib anything upon death), Terminus has been working on making another version suited to those who don't want Chex to kill people while others get gibs. Dubbed "Extra Sparkles", monsters will be "overzorched", and there's more zorchy fireworks to go around for the Chex players while the others spew gibs everywhere. Once the latter version is complete, I'll release both versions.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”