Commando Doom [Last Update] Last Page

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DukeWooze

Commando Doom [Last Update] Last Page

Post by DukeWooze »

Alright so I think it's time for some kind of public test release since most of the weapons are done. Now nothing is completely final and there might be changes in the future depending on what kind of feedback I get. The only weapon that needs to be finished is the BFG replacement. I'm kind of stuck at the moment with coming up with some neat idea. I'm not really good at, or a fan of, creating mega super weapons. I tend to prefer powerful simple weapons as my "late game" weapons. Like the devastators or shrink ray from Duke Nukem.

I hope you guys enjoy! And please if you find any bugs let me know.

Logo by LossForWords

Credits:
Spoiler:
If anyone notices I'm missing credits please let me know.

Release 1

So I guess I will consider this "release 1" because I think there is enough here that it can be considered a beta of sorts.

Download Link---> http://www.mediafire.com/file/c8umusscq ... 0Redux.wad

VIDEOS:

I'll post another one once I get the chance.

I kept the old credits from the original post. I felt it wasn't right to get rid of them because even if I don't use their stuff in future updates I did learn a lot from their work. Thanks guys!

////Old section

Old Credits:
Spoiler:
Last edited by DukeWooze on Tue May 14, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy

Re: [WIP] Here's a mod I made

Post by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy »

DukeWooze wrote:All I have is a youtube video right now I don't know were to upload this.
Mediafire?
niculinux

Post by niculinux »

Ah finally somthing old-school alike! But it's a little too overpowered.

I'd rather :oops: dare :oops: to make some suggestions, just tio fill the thread page !

- Why, why everyone that uses uzi goes always for the "orizontal wielding"? I know hacx one is really nice but something different will be fine! The fire rate needs also to be considerable slowered. Also it is too much overpowerd, it peraphs has to be more weak.

- the saw shouldm't thow blades

-Kalasnicov (I recognized it's for Redneck Rampage) :P seems a bit powerful. I think it may have to be a little tuned down, and replace plasma rifle (slot 6). Also variuos sfx are from the 1997 xatrixs' shooter...

- would also be nice to replace chaingun commando zombies whit some kind of SMG trooper, and put UZI to weapon slot 4 (replaces chaingun).

about the name: how about: Commando Doom?

Congrats, and a 1000 tons of thank you <3

EDIT: edited post
Last edited by niculinux on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niculinux

Post by niculinux »

ah, lastly: maybe a nice idea also to add some more wepaons and introduce a weight system that would force player to carry some wepaons instead of 124214, according to their heavyness, let's say, (sorry for english) :(

and possibly reload animations for alle weapons?

EDIT: edited post
rsl

Post by rsl »

The weapons feel seems a lot nice to me, with a good sense of weight and smoothness. Definitely interesting as a starting set. :)
Though if there's something I would do differently wrt the current version, it would be the hands style. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I know about the different original games these sprites come from, but if I were you, I'd try to go for a consistent look - if it's simpler to do, I'd even opt for gloved hands with an extravagant / unusual colour. :idea:
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

rsl wrote:The weapons feel seems a lot nice to me, with a good sense of weight and smoothness. Definitely interesting as a starting set. :)
Though if there's something I would do differently wrt the current version, it would be the hands style. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I know about the different original games these sprites come from, but if I were you, I'd try to go for a consistent look - if it's simpler to do, I'd even opt for gloved hands with an extravagant / unusual colour. :idea:
I strongly agree that the weapons feel nice, the sound effects especially stand out as satisfying and meaty. As it is I think the mod is pretty playable, but like others have mentioned some of the weapons feel like they're on the strong side. Instead of making them weaker, you might consider making enemies more threatening, since peashooter nerf guns aren't usually very fun to use.

Minor quibbles, I feel like it'd be nice to see how many rounds you have in the revolver before you have to reload, and along with that being able to reload before you've fired all six shots would be nice. It also feels a little inconsistent to me for some weapons to reload and others not to, but that's just my opinion and I understand you might not be able to get all the weapons to reload gracefully. Just my two cents!
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I actually really like this. i love the rott gibs btw, although i was sorta halfway expecting a "ludicrous gibs" to pop in there lol. So definitely needs some more balance, and it needs a bfg type weapon, other than that, perhaps alt attacks, reloads, and some more polish, but other than that this is pretty awesome.
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

Looks extremely fun! Small suggestion, Try not to mix Centered and Sided weapons
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

i think he can get away with it on the powerslave revolver perhaps? the hacx uzi not so much
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

Wow thanks for the replies! I see what you guys are saying. The reason why some of the weapons reload and some don't was to mimic older games like Duke Nukem like his glock reloading and the same thing with Redneck Rampage but I understand where you guys are coming from I could easily add reloading to all weapons though. About the Hacx uzi, I could replace it with something else if it clashes with the mod but I would like some suggestions though. I'm going to be honest I don't have any skills in the graphics department I can animate and modify to a certain degree but not much of a graphic artist. If anyone would like to help let me know. I will do what I can and when I'm done I'll put another video out there. Again thinks guys!
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

DukeWooze wrote:Wow thanks for the replies! I see what you guys are saying. The reason why some of the weapons reload and some don't was to mimic older games like Duke Nukem like his glock reloading and the same thing with Redneck Rampage but I understand where you guys are coming from I could easily add reloading to all weapons though. About the Hacx uzi, I could replace it with something else if it clashes with the mod but I would like some suggestions though. I'm going to be honest I don't have any skills in the graphics department I can animate and modify to a certain degree but not much of a graphic artist. If anyone would like to help let me know. I will do what I can and when I'm done I'll put another video out there. Again thinks guys!
Blood tommy gun? It has Build hands. *shrugs*
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

Blood tommygun is overused, btw, some nice looking weapons here
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

say, you said you usually make weapon mods for yourself. what are the other mods anywho?
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

Well I made this one a long time ago.

It has a lot of sprites I'm sure everyone has see a thousand times but I have fun with the mod. I probably will not release this one because I uses to many sprites from different mods.
I called it The Patriot because I had the idea of some miners on a asteroid staging a rebellion by using nail guns and stealing weapons from their oppressors.

Anyways, enjoy.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

one more thing: you ought to put in an actual rocket or far shooting grenade launcher weapon, simply because of the final boss in some custom mods need a long range attack. the dynamite works for stock doom, but to make it so some wads are finishable, it might not be a bad idea to go n' put something like that in

Return to “Gameplay Mods”