Revised splashes

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Enjay

Revised splashes

Post by Enjay »

Because every mod has to have a logo now, right? :P

Original file is here...
http://www.mediafire.com/?hh1dc9lc1b4n94o

But I highly recommend using the one attached to this post by Nash
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=35547&p=1191726#p1191726
because it takes advantage of the game/lump filtering built into GZDoom these days and thereby gives a better user experience. Thanks Nash. :)

Nothing too fancy here but I have been meaning to re-visit the splashes for a while now.

I took the splash sprites from Heretic and converted them to the Doom palette, colour changing them to use the green colour range, losing as few colours as possible in the process.

I created a new set of not quite so watery/runny looking splashes based on the water splash (basically just trimming off the blob at the top). I also extended the relatively short "heavy sludge" sprite set by adding some intermediate frames so that it includes the same number of frames as the water splash.

I used DECORATE to define a series of splash actors using the sprites and applying a few ZDoom features such as translucency. I used colour translations to shift the green sprites to a colour suited to the flat that they were destined to appear on. The hope is that this will also make it easy for people to use the splashes for their own additional liquids (just inherit and apply a new translation).

The actors were then used in terrain definitions and applied to suitable flats. All the Doom2 liquids and hot flats have been given splashes and/or smoke effects.

A demo map is included in the zip. Load it after the PK3 is you want to run it otherwise the additional sludge flat will not splash. While on that subject, the terrain lump in the PK3 defines a green/brown sludgy splash. This uses the (extended) Heretic sludge sprites. However, they are suited to a very heavy, gloopy liquid and, IMO, none of the Doom liquids are that thick. However, I'd done the sprites so I thought that I may as well include them and define the terrain. That way they are in the PK3 for anyone who wants to use them.

What do you want? Pictures? It's only a bunch of splashes. Oh, all right then...
Spoiler:

You are free to do what you like with this.

P.S. I had a difficult job getting a good translation for the brown splashes. Feel free to try and improve on this or any other aspect of the file. The (extra) sludge splash is a bit odd too. Again, feel free to try and improve it. If anyone has better sprites, it would be nice to see something other than the re-hashed Heretic sprites.

Did you know that the flat SLIME08 only uses 4 colours? :roll:

Mad props* to the SLADE colour remap tool which made finding the translation ranges a lot easier.

*Q: why don't people say "mad props" any more?
A: Because it sounds daft.
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Revised splashes

Post by Xtyfe »

Awesome, way better than before. the brown sludge looks fine to me :)

One issue though, I can't seem to get them to display like your screenshots, they are all sunken into the liquids. The lava being the most noticeable
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

If you're using GZDoom, then try adjusting the [wiki=OpenGL_preferences#Adjust_sprite_clipping]sprite clipping option[/wiki], and see if it helps.
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

Nah, this was with both ZDoom and GZDoom. It was the first thing I checked
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

How are you generating the splashes? Are you jumping up and down in the liquid or are you shooting the liquid?

The reason I ask is that there are two forms of splash that can be generated for each liquid: a big one and a small one. The small one is generated if something of mass <10 (or maybe 10 and under) hits the liquid. Anything above that generates the bigger splash.

The big splash is comprised of a splash and a chunk (a second effect such as a droplet of water or smoke on the nukage). The small splash only uses the main base sprite (not the separate chunk) and clips it into the floor to make it smaller. Jumping up and down in the liquid should generate the big splash (unless your marine has been on an extreme diet) but shooting the liquid will generate the small one.

The best way I find to see the bigger splash is to run backwards into the pools on the test map. The drop off the edge is enough to generate a splash and the player is heavy enough to generate the large form.

The sprite offsets have been set so that GZDoom sprite clipping should be minimal for the big splash.
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

Both big and small seem to be sunk in, the smaller ones are almost unnoticeable. I can shoot and it will make a sound but I see nothing unless its with water since thats the tallest one. This is both with ZDoom and GZDoom
Arch

Post by Arch »

Working perfectly here, great work Enjay.
I´m adding this to my mod, ok?? Thank you!!

edit: is there a easy way to convert this file to wad format so I can merge into a pk3? (yes I´m being lazy here)
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Arch wrote:is there a easy way to convert this file to wad format so I can merge into a pk3?
WADs inside pk3s is not a good practice, IMO.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Good work Enjay!

I'll be soon ready with some animated lava splashes for Tristania 2. Fancy trying them out to see how their work? This would be very useful.
Arch

Post by Arch »

Blue Shadow wrote:WADs inside pk3s is not a good practice, IMO.

What would be the easiest way to add this pk3 then? This is a bit off topic, but can help others to use this mod with their own projects.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Wait, you're wanting to turn a .pk3 into a .wad so you can add it to a .pk3? Copy the contents from one to the other and save yourself the trouble. :P
Blox

Post by Blox »

Well..
Stuff the contents of sndinfo.txt into the end of your existing sndinfo definition or something, and put the contents of decorate.txt into your decorate definition.
And otherwise just stuff it all into your .pk3.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Well Enjay...how do you feel about this splash? It's juicy! :)
Attachments
Lava fountain
Lava fountain
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Mmmm. gloopy. The second set in particular look as if they'd be good randomly spawned on the surface of a lava pool to give the impression that it was nice and active.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Yes, this was my intention. This lava-splash would be perfect as a deadly obstacle which randomly disappears, and you can cross it without fear. It's 224 pixels tall alltogether, which means, most ground enemies can also be killed by it if colliding with. At hell levels, this juicy lava-fountain could serve as a nice obstacle to toy with.

Return to “Resources”