Cosmetic Inheritance (Classic)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Naniyue

Cosmetic Inheritance (Classic)

Post by Naniyue »

With permission from DecemberMan, I've made a quick and dirty blend of Inheritance and Cosmetic DooM! I am currently working on a "Classic" version featuring normal DooM weapons, but with the smooth animations in Cosmetic DooM. There are NO updates to Inheritance itself at this time, with no future plans as of yet.

Available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2vnrg55zevnbecm

Just unrar it and launch with your favorite front end.

Known bugs:
Need to fix the offsets of the arachnotron ability sprites.

(2-10-2013)

Cosmetic Inheritance Classic WIP 1 Now available!
http://www.mediafire.com/?x7rk88g9hptgh6a
Last edited by Naniyue on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ghost-

Re: Cosmetic Inheritance!

Post by -Ghost- »

Good idea, I'd love a version with normal weapons, since I never really liked the weird Marine weapons in Inheritance much.
Naniyue

Re: Cosmetic Inheritance (Classic)

Post by Naniyue »

WIP up!

Cosmetic DooM + Inheritance + classic weaponry!

There's still a lot I need to do, but I didn't want to delay a release any longer.

The pistol, shotgun, super shotgun, and chaingun have one upgrade each. Still working on the rocket launcher and plasma rifle. BFG will not have an upgrade.

There is a weapon points counter in the lower right.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I played a little earlier, pretty good so far! Are you going to add reloading back in for the classic weapons?
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Being a "classic" variation, there won't be any reloading. I do have a WIP that makes you manually switch weapons when out of ammo, but that's about it.

I'm not sure yet, but I may be tweaking the HUD. I've learned a lot from Zhs2's coding for Inheritance (You da man!), and after working on Heretics of DooM, I've learned a lot more about manipulating the HUD.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

A tweaked HUD could be nice, the current one is functional but a little weird looking.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Lookin' decent!

Just some thoughts:
+ I've always liked that single shotty.
- the pistol always, always automatically reloads when you select it and it's not full. Like, even when it's all but 1 shot full. Big time-waster.
- please make the shotgun effective at greater than "sword" range, especially when the player is slowed down to make it harder to run up to enemies and your ammo balance is far, far more unforgiving due to the SSG being replaced and everything giving less ammo. :(
- the shotgun has this weird little thing with the hands that makes no sense and delays your shot for no apparent reason.
- there's no HUD for the non-"fullscreen" view.
- the animation on the beam gun is really wtf for me. You're racking the slide on the pistol to shoot it, which is fine but you always have to do it just as you're about to shoot, can't it just have a hammer cocked back or something? And the motion forces you to put your hand on the rear sight so you can never even theoretically aim it properly. I think I must have uselessly racked the slide a dozen times before realizing that you're supposed to keep holding fire afterwards to actually start shooting.
+ <3 that splodey bolt gun
? Okay those slot 7+ weapons are really really really grossing me out, not sure if that's a good thing
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

I told myself I wouldn't post in this topic given that I wish I could promise updates but can't due to motivation kicking me back down every time I try. I do want to eventually overhaul and rebalance the old Inheritance so that the stupid speed issue is resolved, the shotgun isn't completely worthless until you fire it a few hundred times, the armor and health wheels are complete, and, heck, even a statusbar that's not fullscreen. However, some points that you bring up that, if I ever do work on them, I'll definitely consider:

- The pistol only reloading when selected and below half a clip. I like that idea.
- The shotgun animation was supposed to be aesthetic, but I'll see about firing in that timespan.
- The Shocker's animation is quite useless, I agree (though I'm very easily amused by racking the slide. Sorry. :P) You've given me a great idea for how to go about this in the actual final release, though.
- Huh, somebody actually finds the demon hands unsettling. I do really want to redo and enhance the look of these, but... it's a pipe dream...

I make no guarantees, and I hate posting when I can't, but at the very least I will take your considerations seriously. One of these days I'll feel like working on an upgrade to this piece of crap mod I helped throw together, what... three years ago? Maybe.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Heya, pal! Nice to see ya post! ;) I never thought the mod was crap, though! You took it much further than I ever could! It's also what inspired Heretics of DooM, but you already knew that.

Well, the only other thing I can really comment about here are the sprites and sounds for the demonic abilities, as they were done by me. Since one's arm is being twisted by hellish energies, it made sense to have the transformations be somewhat horrific. Hell, DooM has always been horrific anyway!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”