Project Legacy - Survival horror TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Agentbromsnor

Project Legacy - Survival horror TC

Post by Agentbromsnor »

PROJECT LEGACY
(note: I already posted this on Doomworld and Zandonum forums. I decided it would be best to keep all the major Doom forums updated with my mod)

Information:
Project Legacy is going to be a total conversion of Doom 2, bringing the advanced features GZDoom together to make a suspenseful survival horror game.

The idea behind this TC is to make a mod that is going to function as a prototype for a much bigger game that I'm working on with friends.

Gameplay:
Gameplay-wise, this game will draw strong comparisons to the likes of Amnesia, with a de-emphasis on combat and a focus on interactive storytelling. You can also collect torches that provide you with light.

Our intention is not to shove the story into the player's face though, but rather tell the story in a subtle way that fuels the imagination in a intriguing way.

Screenshots and media:
Spoiler:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-legacy
The video posted there is a bit dated, but together with the screenshots it should still give people the right impression of the game's atmosphere. At least, untill a new video is recorded.

Requirements:
Project Legacy uses both sprites and 3D models, along with dynamic lights and (sloped) 3D floors. A Quake 2 style skybox is also used, so its in your best interest to play this with GZDoom when its released. Zandronum support is not certain at this point, but most of it should be compatible with Zandronum because of their close relation.

The team:
Agentbromsnor - Textures, leveldesign, sprites, 3D models, ACS
Cacowad - DECORATE, ACS

If you have any questions or would like to join our team, feel free to ask!
Doom Juan

Re: Project Legacy - Survival horror TC

Post by Doom Juan »

I like the look of this, I used to be obsessed with the original Alone in the Dark as a kid :mrgreen:
Last edited by Doom Juan on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

looks pretty good detail, nice use of dynamic lights :D
I´m just curious about the monster/ghoul/dynamic map that´ll scary the player :D

EDIT:you can have a great compatibility with zandronum, but decorate´ll be limited =/ (I had to do alot of acs code to do a ghoul monster work on zandronum [it worked before, but it wasn´t compatible])
Terrorized666

Post by Terrorized666 »

:o I can't wait to see this in action :D
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Yay, I love horror games. Can't wait for this one too! :D
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

ibm5155 wrote:looks pretty good detail, nice use of dynamic lights :D
I´m just curious about the monster/ghoul/dynamic map that´ll scary the player :D

EDIT:you can have a great compatibility with zandronum, but decorate´ll be limited =/ (I had to do alot of acs code to do a ghoul monster work on zandronum [it worked before, but it wasn´t compatible])
I'm designing all the ghosts myself so I can take a while, but it will be worth it I believe. :)

So it won't have direct compatibility with Zandronum? Shit, I thought I could be lazy with this but I guess I can't. :P

By the way, our 'team' consists of me and Cacowad. I'm doing the design while he does the decorate and ACS. However, we can always use more help with this, so if you would like to help out, send me a message with your MSN adress so we can get in contact and I will send you all the files you need.

Cheers!
Clonehunter

Post by Clonehunter »

Looks good so far I like the screens and the lighting is very cool to look at, though in truth when I read the title I thought someone was for whatever reason posting a mod for the :P Doom Legacy port.
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

I never thought about the port, haha. :P

I was at one point considering to make this on the EDuke32 engine, but its way too much of a hassle to learn it for me.
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

Okay, I'm giving this topic a huge bump for a good reason.

This mod is not dead, even though I haven't worked on it for some time. I've been busy with school, among other things, and maintaining a project this ambitious practically by myself is hard. If not, near impossible.

Thats why I would like to ask again for people to help me out with DECORATE and ACS. The programming is my main concern here, because the things I would like to implement are pretty advanced and involves a lot of OpenGL based stuff, a few scripted events, and things like GL lighting and models. The level design I can do by myself, no problem.

If you would like to help me out, you can add me on Skype under the name Athferion, or on AIM under the email adress morkulv_athferion@live.nl.

I'm always online, and if you add me I'm always going to keep in touch about the mod's progress.
Please consider helping me out if you have the time, because without some talented programmers, this mod will probably die a slow death...
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

Nobody? Okay, time to put it back in the freezer then I suppose...
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

Looks very cool!! I can't understand why this do not gained more attention :S
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

Woo, big bump again! I did work some more on this, but unfortunately I had a really messy hard drive crash about a month ago which deleted my most recent version of the mod. OUCH!!

However, I did back up another pretty recent version of Project Legacy, for which I decided to make a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3KvC-Atf0

As you can see, there's plenty of textures missing because of the crash, but the overall atmosphere is still pretty good I think. My favorite things are the dynamic torch light (which you can see me 'pick up'), and the dynamic sound of the wind going past the windows in the first area. :)

If anyone is interested I still wouldn't mind continuing this with a larger team.
Hell_Pike

Post by Hell_Pike »

To be honest im worried about what you mean about "game im making with friends" are you going to try to market some bootleg version of gzdoom? If the answer is no i am interested in joining the mod team depending on what yall want help with

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”