[WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn (Halted)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MetroidJunkie

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Xaser wrote: Some of the things you've been working on, like the teleport-stairs and dumbwaiters, are things that'd generally only make sense for a direct remake or similarly flat n' basic maps. If you move it past this, though, it could be neat.
I only considered making dumbwaiters teleportable so that it doesn't inconvenience the player to have to wait for them to raise and lower. I could probably modify the stairs to be actual stairs instead of a teleport, though.
Spoiler:
There, I've made them into actual stairs and I also made the basement, hedge garden, and crypt darker so they stand out from the more lit mansion ground floor.
Last edited by MetroidJunkie on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

oh, i would love to see a modern take of Nitemare 3D, myself! i loved the demo as a kid, even though it is incredibly frustrating and cumbersome at times (particularly the second level. oh god, the second level. you get bombarded by absolutely dangerous hitscanners and you only have the first weapon against them? what the fuck), i still gotta admit it's got a kind of cheesy charm to it.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

As long as it's not "enhanced" by shoving in unfitting assets from Blood or Killing Time...

also FYI, David Gray still sells this game. He could see this mod as a bootleg of his work.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

leileilol wrote:As long as it's not "enhanced" by shoving in unfitting assets from Blood or Killing Time...
Oh, anything I add will be edited from the graphics already in the game or something else entirely like the night sky. For example, I just edited the stone trim along the hedge walls and made a stone path;
Spoiler:
leileilol wrote:also FYI, David Gray still sells this game. He could see this mod as a bootleg of his work.
Well, the only assets I have are from the shareware version anyway and I don't intend to just copy the levels.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Very nice really :) This feels like a very classic mashup between Resident Evil and Wolf 3D :)
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Ben2k9 wrote:Ive never played this game but it has some pretty aweful graphics....
Amateurish and cartoony, yes. Half the time I can't even tell what the hell things are supposed to resemble. Though I did personally find some of the sound effects amusing and the overall setting interesting. Bear in mind, this game is pretty old and back in those days games where not just made and sold by mega-big-gaming-corporations but also smaller companies, groups of friends with ambitions and lone people with ideas and some skills. Now, before you say that Doom/Doom 2 was made the same year and it had ten times better graphics don't forget that Doom was groundbreaking in its time and certainly ahead of its time.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

CeeJay wrote: Amateurish and cartoony, yes. Half the time I can't even tell what the hell things are supposed to resemble. Though I did personally find some of the sound effects amusing and the overall setting interesting. Bear in mind, this game is pretty old and back in those days games where not just made and sold by mega-big-gaming-corporations but also smaller companies, groups of friends with ambitions and lone people with ideas and some skills. Now, before you say that Doom/Doom 2 was made the same year and it had ten times better graphics don't forget that Doom was groundbreaking in its time and certainly ahead of its time.
You could argue that, thanks to indie gaming and smartphone stores, amateurs with ambitions have more power now than ever before. Even Doom mods can be used for that purpose. :P

I think that was a criticism the game got, having Wolf 3D graphics after Doom had already been released. Nowadays, it doesn't matter as much since retro is retro. I have to give it credit, though, they didn't just slap paint on Wolf 3D and call it a game (Super Noah's Ark 3D) but added new functionalities. For lacking a proper lighting system, they did a decent enough job faking it on the 7th level by replacing the wall textures and blackening the floor and ceiling and stair and elevator transports compensated for height disabilities.
Viscra Maelstrom

too bad that on said level you could get stuck helplessly if you pushed the wrong tombstone at the wrong time. and if you saved when doing it...
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:too bad that on said level you could get stuck helplessly if you pushed the wrong tombstone at the wrong time. and if you saved when doing it...
It's very easy for that to happen on the 8th level, too, since you have to push a tombstone half way then blow up an explodable wall and go around. Push it too far and you're stuck. I don't know any way to fix this for the mod without also allowing the player to cheat but, I guess you can always just no clip through them if you get stuck, an advantage Doom has over Nitemare 3D. :P
Viscra Maelstrom

MetroidJunkie wrote:
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:too bad that on said level you could get stuck helplessly if you pushed the wrong tombstone at the wrong time. and if you saved when doing it...
It's very easy for that to happen on the 8th level, too, since you have to push a tombstone half way then blow up an explodable wall and go around. Push it too far and you're stuck. I don't know any way to fix this for the mod without also allowing the player to cheat but, I guess you can always just no clip through them if you get stuck, an advantage Doom has over Nitemare 3D. :P
you could make the objects pullable to reverse such deadly mistakes. could also lead to some further experimentation between making such puzzles. they might be horrible ones, but they're a staple of Nitemare 3D's oddities. :p
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote: you could make the objects pullable to reverse such deadly mistakes. could also lead to some further experimentation between making such puzzles. they might be horrible ones, but they're a staple of Nitemare 3D's oddities. :p
You can do that? I have it pushable with the pushable flag, I didn't know you could make them pullable. In any case, that has a chance of allowing the player to cheat by pulling blocks out of the way instead of pushing them the correct ways.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I hope that HUD border frame art is widescreen-friendly.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Nash wrote:I hope that HUD border frame art is widescreen-friendly.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Run the game in a 16:9/16:10 resolution in windowed mode. If you need help making a widescreen version, just ask around.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

blackfish wrote:Run the game in a 16:9/16:10 resolution in windowed mode. If you need help making a widescreen version, just ask around.
I don't mean that, I mean allowing it to switch to a 16:9/16:10 version when the resolution is changed. I don't want to JUST have a 16:9/16:10 version.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”