[WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn (Halted)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MetroidJunkie

[WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn (Halted)

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Basically, it's my attempt to recreate the Nitemare 3D engine using improved ZDoom functions such as swinging doors.

Ratios 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 now supported.

Tested with the SVN version of GZDoom, OpenGL derivatives are recommended due to perceived visual distortions under ZDoom.

Download link to current version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1166y ... mare3D.wad

Update: The stairs are now actual stairs, the hedge maze tops have been smoothened out, there are a couple decorative objects as well as pushable blocks, there are levels of brightness added for atmosphere, there's a new stone path floor added for the hedge mazes, and there's a bedroom floor. There are now more enemies as well as a turret gun obstacle.
Spoiler:
Latest Update: I have halted the project in favor of a remake using Unity, instead. I will provide the latest version of the WAD as soon as I manage to resolve my HDD issues, assuming they can be resolved.
Last edited by MetroidJunkie on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Tormentor667

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Post by Tormentor667 »

This is pretty nice :) But why only receating? Why not also enhancing?
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Tormentor667 wrote:This is pretty nice :) But why only receating? Why not also enhancing?
Enhancing is the idea, which is why it has features Nitemare 3D didn't like doors that swing open as well as an open night sky and grass floor for outdoors. At some point, I'll have more variety for floors/ceilings indoors as well.
Caleb26

Post by Caleb26 »

Very nice. I've played Nitemare 3d looooong time ago - only episode 1. You can do something like Laz Rojas did with Wolf3d/SOD - different floors, ceilings + different heights in some sectors, shadows ect. You can also add score counter using Zdoom - very simple.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Looking forward to this.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Caleb26 wrote:Very nice. I've played Nitemare 3d looooong time ago - only episode 1. You can do something like Laz Rojas did with Wolf3d/SOD - different floors, ceilings + different heights in some sectors, shadows ect. You can also add score counter using Zdoom - very simple.
Yeah, something like that would work. I should get into learning how to make custom HUDs, though. I can do scores, just not visibly on an HUD yet. At one point, I'll replace the Doom HUD with the one from Nitemare 3D but I've never modified HUDs before.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

the game is strange, but the mod looks good :)
Just a noob question, did you created that hub face or it was on the original game? O_o
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

ibm5155 wrote:the game is strange, but the mod looks good :)
Just a noob question, did you created that hub face or it was on the original game? O_o
Ha, no. It was in the original game;

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Don't know if it's still being worked on or not though
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

CeeJay wrote:

Don't know if it's still being worked on or not though
Yeah, I saw that but the video's over 4 years old.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

Ive never played this game but it has some pretty aweful graphics....
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Heh, I remember having a lot of fun with Nitemare 3D as a kid. Thing is, if you're doing a ZDoom-based reboot, I'd rather see the direction go to full-on Doom-style mapping instead of sticking to Wolfenstein-ish bland corridors, to make the most out of a technical leap (and possibly make an even better game out of the result). Return of the Triad is an excellent example of this, for one.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Xaser wrote:Heh, I remember having a lot of fun with Nitemare 3D as a kid. Thing is, if you're doing a ZDoom-based reboot, I'd rather see the direction go to full-on Doom-style mapping instead of sticking to Wolfenstein-ish bland corridors, to make the most out of a technical leap (and possibly make an even better game out of the result). Return of the Triad is an excellent example of this, for one.
Well, keep in mind it's an extensive work in progress. I'd like to get more functionalities from the original game to work before I start focusing on improvements.

The earlier Hugo games can give me an idea of how I can make aspects of the mansion look in a 3D space.
Last edited by MetroidJunkie on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Looks interesting, hope you'll have fun working on this, i'm gonna put this on my watchlist.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

MetroidJunkie wrote:Well, keep in mind it's an extensive work in progress. I'd like to get more functionalities from the original game to work before I start focusing on improvements.
Some of the things you've been working on, like the teleport-stairs and dumbwaiters, are things that'd generally only make sense for a direct remake or similarly flat n' basic maps. If you move it past this, though, it could be neat.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”