Fortune's Run TC [WIP, unreleased] New screens!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
zrrion the insect

Re: Fortune's Run TC [WIP, unreleased]

Post by zrrion the insect »

This looks realy neat. I look forward to this. If you're doing the weapons via ace stuff, does that mean they'll be truecolour?
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Most impressive.
kmxexii

Post by kmxexii »

This looks fantastic.
OliveD

Post by OliveD »

Wow, that's a lot of positive feedback. I hope I can live up to the expectations with my demo :)

I'm about halfway done through the second map, but what's taking me really long is the enemy sprites.
Here's one of the enemies you'll encounter there, a WIP alien bounty hunter:

Nash wrote:Looks awesome but I can't enlarge the screens!!!
They're quite low res, I even scaled them 2x :p
Nash wrote: This is a nice idea; I tried it before but unfortunately ran into a limitation: the HUDMessage weapon "sprite" cannot be affected by the player's light level and sector colour because there's no way to do that kind of colour shifting to a HUDMessage. Idea was immediately scrapped. :(
This is a real problem. You can shade the weapons and stuff using colour translation and an alpha overlay to control the strength of the colour, but detecting sector light level/light colour is impossible afaik. I'll have some special lines setup with the club area to make it so it switches the weapon colour, but it's a pretty hackyt solution.
Bouncy wrote:Holy crap, this looks great.
Might I be able to contribute to the sound design to some degree? I'd love the opportunity.
Can do some voice work too.
I'd love to have an other VA. We're two at the moment, with me voicing the protagonist and female characters and my friend voicing all the male characters.

Jimmy wrote:Not sure if I'm a big fan of the very "gritty" overall look of it so far (some graphics like the status bar look almost palette-raped), not to mention the huge focus on brown in the maps - but I greatly applaud the amount of work that's been put into this. Very impressive stuff. I'm very much looking forward to giving this a go. :D
I guess it's not for everyone. It's partially inadvertent, I didn't realize how dark my maps were until I start taking screenshots. I'd like to make some brighter maps later on, though. The next level on the list is the jungle level, so it should be brighter there.
MG_Man wrote:This image points out a small issue:
*image*

Remember, DOS's 320x200 mode is intended to be displayed in 4:3, so this means that this will end up oval-shaped in fullscreen. Just wanted to make sure you're aware of that.

More info on that here if you don't understand:
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio
Yeah, I realize. As you might notice from some of the rescaled screenshots, I play in 320x256 because of my monitor's aspect ratio. It does make them stretchy, but it's not that big of a deal I think. I'm not sure how to detect the player's resolution, so I'm not sure if I can actually fix this with black bars or not. Ideally, it'd just letterbox it if your aspect ration isn't correct.
zrrion the insect wrote:This looks realy neat. I look forward to this. If you're doing the weapons via ace stuff, does that mean they'll be truecolour?
I suppose I could, but I decided to make them palleted to keep in line with the look of the rest of the game. The weapon colouring due to coloured sectors however will not be palleted, since I'm just using colour translations.

Due to all the issues with applying lighting to the player weapons, I might actually can the system. It's a shame because the new bobbing and the fact the weapon moves up and down slightly with the camera Dark Forces style gives this a very unique feel in my opinion.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for all the positive vibes, I'll look forward to hearing your actual feedback when I'm done with this map!
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

I'm looking on my phone so I can't see it in great detail yet, but this looks really interesting. The orange sky is really not well suited to the palette you're using, though. Have you modified Doom's default palette at all? Its oranges and reds can be a bit difficult to work with.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Wow, with the hud, this really looks like a 90's game using the Doom Engine, and not at all like a mod of Doom itself. Too much brown, I think - perhaps the colors could take a hint from BTSX? Still, I will definitely keep an eye out.
OliveD

Post by OliveD »

esselfortium wrote:I'm looking on my phone so I can't see it in great detail yet, but this looks really interesting. The orange sky is really not well suited to the palette you're using, though. Have you modified Doom's default palette at all? Its oranges and reds can be a bit difficult to work with.
I have played around with the palette, yup. I think the orange sky is okay personally, but if you could recommend me a better shade for it, I wouldn't mind switching it up. I haven't used the orange part of the palette at all anyways so far, so it's fair game!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

This looks very interesting. Definitely keen to see something as and when it is released. Keep up the good work.

I love the look of that bounty hunter btw (and the other sprites).
rsl

Post by rsl »

The screenshots reveal a stylistical mix of the Quake and Dark Forces universes. Which is all for quality and originality from my point of view. :D
Also, the idea you described to implement weapons-on-HUD is both crazy and impressive at the same time... :shock: Still have to figure out completely how that could be properly managed in practice. :lol:

IMHO, looks like a really good job so far.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Looks great, hope it gets finished at one point and doesn't end up like that other TC Killian Reed.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Oh, please, Raptor jesus, don't hate me forevermore for missing this glorious creation.
This is fantastic. Watchlist'd forever. :wub:
Nash

Post by Nash »

Am I the only person who's getting tiny unclickable images in the front page? D:
OliveD

Re: Fortune's Run TC [WIP, unreleased] New screens!

Post by OliveD »

New screens. Map02 (map04 actually due to cutscenes) is nearly done level-wise. I still have to populate it with enemies and do the scripts, but that part should be relatively fast, apart from all the random alien NPCs I need to draw!

One thing I'm not sure of is whether I want to do midi music or not. I like the idea of the retro midi music, but the club level is much less cool without the track I composed for it. It has a strobe light effect that syncs with the kick of the song. I'll let you guys decide once you get your hands on my first release :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Looks good! May I suggest using real 3-d floors instead of the paper-thin linedef floors? ZDoom has supported 3-d floors in the software renderer for quite some time...
Big C

Post by Big C »

Getting huge, huge nostalgia kicks from the screenshots.

I approve 100% and look forward to the demo. :P

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”