Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ObsessedWithMODs

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC. 2012 Release, extras!

Post by ObsessedWithMODs »

Trooper 077 wrote:Just a future tip, It's better to upload all of those to an image hosting site like majhost. Then link to folder
Thanks for the hint, although I would like to know if there is a similar alternative where I don't have to register and upload images?

Also, I don't know if it's a limitation or something, I cannot seem to put more than 5 spoilers in 1 post :? :( .
Valherran wrote:I just tried this MOD (the DL link from the 1st post), the mapping and stuff was great, but the weapons were horrible... They were really sucky in performance against the aliens when they are far more capable than that.

Overall, it is looking good, just needs more work. :-)
I agree, this should receive more updates.

I think the only thing I can see that should be added in a future update is something like head shots and limb shots (removal of alien limbs) to compensate for conservation of ammo or because of shortage of ammo on the maps.

This all depends on whether or not Deimos want more realism, it's up to him in the end. But I heard another mod out there was able to implement Limbs and Head shots in a mod for Doom Source Ports, think it was called Brutal Doom don't rememebr exactly. But anyways I don't see why not? Although I think he would have to request permission to borrow any programming scripts or codes first.

I think it could be a direction he can look into for adjusting any weapon strength/weakness issues.

Because then it comes down to the players' aim and regarding to where they hit the enemies.

If the Aliens legs could be shot off then maybe they can be greatly slowed down, and no more closing in the gap so quickly towards a player with their pouncing.

And head shots being instant or near instant kill consistently is something that can greatly help conservation of ammo, especially if their are any shortages.
Valherran wrote:It seems you are going on the scenery and lore of Aliens 2 since I hear a LOT of movie sounds from it. I would at least mix it up a bit from sounds from the movie and resources used in AVP Gold.
I think most sounds are from AvP Gold the last I've checked. Maybe Deimos wanted to stick with sounds from the films rather than use sounds in the the later AvP PC games.

I do have to admit the sound of the Pulse Rifle in AvP Gold sounded awful and nothing like it's original counterpart in James Cameron's film. I don't know if they (Rebellion) were trying to make it sound like a real asault rifle when fired or if they were trying to make the Pulse Rifle sound like it did when fired by those HazMat guys at the end of Alien 3.

Even the new 2010 AvP game's Pulse Rifle sound is exactly the same like it was in the 1999 PC game and AvP Gold!! :shock:

AvP2 had it more accurate and close to the way it sounded in the movie. 8-)

Also, have you tested or played Virtue's (aka Ben2k9) update of Justin Fisher's Aliens T.C.? Deimos borrowed much content from it to create this 2012 release of his Aliens mod for Doom. That mod has plenty of sounds from AvP Gold. Trust me I know because I've played AvP Gold back in the day when i was first around and I still own it.
Valherran wrote:I also tried that survivor mode, and man, that was sooo freakin laggy I couldn't do much of anything during it, and there is just way too damn many bushes blocking your sight, making it impossible to enjoy.
Not too sure about this but I might have missed it. I did not notice a Survivor mode, but I'm thinking it was probably like Bonus Levels, or concept of.

Have you tried re-adjusting or tweaking various settings in the source port or try a different source port to see if there was still lag or slow down?

Any other case maybe the map does need to be re-optimize and revised somehow. Maybe some of the bushes could be removed, although it sounded like he was trying to make a Jungle type of Map to represent the situation in the first Predator movie.
-Ghost- wrote:On an Aliens related note, are there any mods like this which you can just play regular Doom wads with? Like different types of aliens and the colonial marine weaponry?
Not too sure what you meant by regular Doom wads with? Are you trying to mix this or other Alien themed wads with other regular Doom wads or other modded Doom wads?

As for different types of Aliens and Colonial Marine Weaponry this is the most current batch I've encountered using various sprite rips from that old 1996 Alien Trilogy game from Acclaim.

And almost all of the Aliens sprites and graphics had been updated and is fresh and new, with the only exception to the Eggs, Facehuggers and a few other scenery background objects which were recycled from Justin Fisher's Aliens T.C.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Not too sure about this but I might have missed it. I did not notice a Survivor mode, but I'm thinking it was probably like Bonus Levels, or concept of.

Have you tried re-adjusting or tweaking various settings in the source port or try a different source port to see if there was still lag or slow down?

Any other case maybe the map does need to be re-optimize and revised somehow. Maybe some of the bushes could be removed, although it sounded like he was trying to make a Jungle type of Map to represent the situation in the first Predator movie.
The problem is, is that there are too many bushes placed on the map, and the map itself is large. My PC is pretty decent, and it lags really bad in there.
I think most sounds are from AvP Gold the last I've checked. Maybe Deimos wanted to stick with sounds from the films rather than use sounds in the the later AvP PC games.

I do have to admit the sound of the Pulse Rifle in AvP Gold sounded awful and nothing like it's original counterpart in James Cameron's film. I don't know if they (Rebellion) were trying to make it sound like a real asault rifle when fired or if they were trying to make the Pulse Rifle sound like it did when fired by those HazMat guys at the end of Alien 3.

Even the new 2010 AvP game's Pulse Rifle sound is exactly the same like it was in the 1999 PC game and AvP Gold!!

AvP2 had it more accurate and close to the way it sounded in the movie.

Also, have you tested or played Virtue's (aka Ben2k9) update of Justin Fisher's Aliens T.C.? Deimos borrowed much content from it to create this 2012 release of his Aliens mod for Doom. That mod has plenty of sounds from AvP Gold. Trust me I know because I've played AvP Gold back in the day when i was first around and I still own it.
I will have to take a look at the Virtue version. And I agree that the AVP 2 Pulse Rifle is still the best sounding one besides the one from the movie. Part of the reason why I said "mix it up a bit". :wink:
I think the only thing I can see that should be added in a future update is something like head shots and limb shots (removal of alien limbs) to compensate for conservation of ammo or because of shortage of ammo on the maps.

This all depends on whether or not Deimos want more realism, it's up to him in the end. But I heard another mod out there was able to implement Limbs and Head shots in a mod for Doom Source Ports, think it was called Brutal Doom don't rememebr exactly. But anyways I don't see why not? Although I think he would have to request permission to borrow any programming scripts or codes first.

I think it could be a direction he can look into for adjusting any weapon strength/weakness issues.

Because then it comes down to the players' aim and regarding to where they hit the enemies.

If the Aliens legs could be shot off then maybe they can be greatly slowed down, and no more closing in the gap so quickly towards a player with their pouncing.

And head shots being instant or near instant kill consistently is something that can greatly help conservation of ammo, especially if their are any shortages.
Yeah, Brutal Doom is the MOD with the special hit boxes for enemy dismemberment. And it's actually mandatory for this game too because the AVP franchise focused on this heavily when using the USMC against Aliens.
ObsessedWithMODs

Valherran wrote:Yeah, Brutal Doom is the MOD with the special hit boxes for enemy dismemberment. And it's actually mandatory for this game too because the AVP franchise focused on this heavily when using the USMC against Aliens.
So I did name the correct Doom Mod with that set of features implemented, thanks!!!

That's why they say Marines must kill Aliens with "minimum" splash when dealing with these eyeless SOBs. What other better and consistent way is there for Marines to achieve this other that killing an Alien quickly via Headshots? Or to slow them
down and reduce their overall threat by taking out their legs or maybe even their tails? :twisted:

The only other difference is probably making it more squad and co-op focused for realism (add in Strong AI controlled Squad mate Marines).

Why you'd ask? He did called it Colonial Marines and not Colonial Marine, so that's plural.

Obviously in a real combat situation why the hell would any nation or even corporation send it 1 guy to handle a dangerous situation like this?????!!!! :shock: :? :nope: :nope2: :laff:

If you check my spoilers you can see what the USCM Infantry Structure is like, and what squad tactics are utilized by them in combat.

I've had enough of that One Man Army against Countless Numbers of Bad Guys BS in games I mean it does get difficult and even hilarious if you think about it.

If the above is somehow implemented, even if it's not real "Co-Op" with other players you know that it will be a mission where Marines must fight together as a Squad Unit or maybe even a Platoon against an entire Hive of Aliens just to make it out alive!

And even then, if you remember, in Cameron's film when Marines were ambushed almost all of them were wiped out and then in the end only Hicks 'narrowly' made it back to the Sulaco. So I can't realistically imagine how 1 measly lone Marine can survive against so many Aliens even if he was armed to the teeth. Oh right, maybe it's because he was given some super soldier steroids or serum:lol:

And besides Aliens greatest strength lies in their numbers, so I'd say the same for human soldiers even if they were all armed to the teeth and is fighting Aliens on the ground on various outer space settings. I'm just speculating more realism.
Valherran wrote:The problem is, is that there are too many bushes placed on the map, and the map itself is large. My PC is pretty decent, and it lags really bad in there.
Ok, then that's more than likely a mapping issue, if you are telling me you have a fairly decent fast PC. Btw, do you have you PC overclocked? Although I doubt that even matters, but if it is, then that's more than enough evidence to suggest the problem is the map itself when used with a source port engine.

I think the map should or at least could be updated or re-adjusted somehow, with lots of the bushes removed first to see if the lag issue continues.

Hopefully it's simple enough to re-adjust without having to make loads of new scripts, and loads of other programming codes. I'll probably attempt this, although I need to narrow down which map it was again, it's probably the other ones other than E1M1 through E1M4.
Valherran wrote:I will have to take a look at the Virtue version. And I agree that the AVP 2 Pulse Rifle is still the best sounding one besides the one from the movie. Part of the reason why I said "mix it up a bit". :wink:
In fact I think that was the only time they actually got the Pulse Rifle sound to sound close if not exactly like it did in Cameron's movie. Even the Pulse Rifle in the Alien Trilogy game sounded awful and nothing like it did in Aliens.

Same goes for the Pulse Rifle in the Atari Jaguar AvP game, it also sounded very different, and in that game it lacked the Grenade Launcher mode.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

-Ghost- wrote:On an Aliens related note, are there any mods like this which you can just play regular Doom wads with? Like different types of aliens and the colonial marine weaponry?
You mean the original Doom maps with the gameplay of Aliens TC? If so, just type "Map Map01" on the console, you'll play the original Doom maps with the aliens.

(BTW, I see that there are androids/cyborgs that replaces the Doom's zombies, but I don't see them in the TC's maps o.õ )

___

Finally, I just loved the new features and maps. (But the Predator's jungle map is a little "lagy" here.)
Last edited by Ravick on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

ObsessedWithMODs wrote: Not too sure what you meant by regular Doom wads with? Are you trying to mix this or other Alien themed wads with other regular Doom wads or other modded Doom wads?

As for different types of Aliens and Colonial Marine Weaponry this is the most current batch I've encountered using various sprite rips from that old 1996 Alien Trilogy game from Acclaim.

And almost all of the Aliens sprites and graphics had been updated and is fresh and new, with the only exception to the Eggs, Facehuggers and a few other scenery background objects which were recycled from Justin Fisher's Aliens T.C.
Yeah, I meant as in treating it like a partial conversion, playing with most of the content but in regular Doom levels (ie. Episode 1,etc) rather than CM's specially made ones.

EDIT: Thanks, beat me to it lol.
ObsessedWithMODs

Ravick wrote:
(BTW, I see that there are androids/cyborgs that replaces the Doom's zombies, but I don't see them in the TC's maps o.õ )

___

Finally, I just loved the new features and maps. (But the Predator's jungle map is a little "lagy" here.)
Well then, I'll look into that laggy map if deimos doesn't and see if I could re-adjust it somehow. Any idea which one it is? as in which Episode and Map number (E.G. E#M# or MAP ##)?

As for the combat synthetics, I've encountered them in Virtue's Aliens TC update before although they were rare encounters.
A few were on the E3M2 map and only encountered 1 in E2M5.

But I am unsure if Deimos decided to exclude them from his maps despite the fact he had recycled those same set of sprites from Virtue's Aliens mod. Have you tried different difficulty settings and see if they appear?
Ravick wrote:I mean the original Doom maps with the gameplay of Aliens TC? If so, just type "Map Map01" on the console, you'll play the original Doom maps with the aliens.
The IDCLEV level warp code works just fine for that purpose, but thanks for the tip regarding the Console command method.

Back in the day some of the TCs had the original cheat codes altered or changed to prevent the temptation of spoiling everything and ruining any surprises but sometimes IMHO codes can help greatly to learn the layout of the maps in single player. But in both of the more current Aliens mods for doom (Deimos's and Virtue's) the doom cheats were left unchanged.

Also sometimes the original Doom maps may have incompatibility issues with mods, I remember how it was back in the old days of Dos (Vanilla Doom) and the old ancient 1990 era TCs mods made for it. It could be due to something in the DeHacked patch that causes the map to not load right and crash, etc.

I don't know how often incompatibilities are with modern source port mods and their mods are, maybe it' significantly less, but I could be wrong.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

It actually runs pretty well just going through Doom 2 with it other than the high amount of synthetics and a few weird map textures. E3M1 actually looks pretty cool, as it's converted mostly into a jungle. :P
ObsessedWithMODs

Tech Info regarding the Power Loaders:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I'll make a new post with Links of the previous pics in a more organized fashion, please bare with me.
ObsessedWithMODs

This is an organized and indexed master list of Detailed Technical Information regarding all the various Colonial Marines Weaponry and Equipment seen in the movie, and various subsequent video game representations.

It's quite a long list so bare with me here.

United States Colonial Marines Infantry Structure Analysis -

Technical Information and Details regarding the Pulse Rifle:

Part 1 of 4
Part 2 of 4
Part 3 of 4
Part 4 of 4

Technical Information and Details regarding the Smart Gun:

Part 1 of 6
Part 2 of 6
Part 3 of 6
Part 4 of 6
Part 5 of 6
Part 6 of 6
____________________________________________________________________________________

Technical Information and Details regarding the Flame Thrower (Incinerator):

Part 1 of 2
Part 2 of 2

Technical Information and Details regarding the M4A3 Pistol:

Part 1 of 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Technical Information and Details regarding the UA 571-C Remote Sentry Weapons System (Automated Turrets/Sentry Guns):

Part 1 of 2
Part 2 of 2

These really kickass automated weapon systems were only seen in the Extended 'Special Edition' of Aliens.
Too bad there are no photos or detailed illustrations for this one.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Technical Information and Details regarding the Motion Tracker:

Part 1 of 2
Part 2 of 2
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Technical Information and Details regarding the Power Loader:

Part 1 of 4
Part 2 of 4
Part 3 of 4
Part 4 of 4

This is the iconic exosuit forklift used by Ripley in a final confrontation against the Alien Queen at the end of Aliens; and Pvt. Spunkmeyer also operated this to load "Tactical Smart Missiles" into a Dropship when it was first seen.

Misc USCM Equipment and Weaponry:

Part 1 of 2
Part 2 of 2

Only photos are available for these, no actual technical information available anywhere in the Technical Manual; they include the Helmet Mounted sight with microphone stalk, the Shoulder Lamp, the Hand Welder, Combat Knife (only used by Bishop when he performed the "Knife" Trick and scared Pvt. Hudson silly), Personal Locator (this was used by Ripley when she was trying to find and rescue Newt), VP 70 Pistol (Only Lt. Gorman actually fired this weapon in the movie)

Technical Information and Details regarding the M577 APC (Armored Personnel Carrier):

Part 1 of 9
Part 2 of 9
Part 3 of 9
Part 4 of 9
Part 5 of 9
Part 6 of 9
Part 7 of 9
Part 8 of 9
Part 9 of 9
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

The rest below were mentioned by Pvt. Hudson when he was really overconfident and bragging about USCM Weaponry and Equipment assuring Ripley she has nothing to worry about, although these weapons mentioned were never actually seen in the movie.

So the rest of these below are pretty much considered expanded universe material and whether any modder wants to considered them 'Canon' and whether they want to implement them into their Alien-themed Mod is entirely up to them.

Technical Information and Details regarding a few USCM Infantry Anti Armor System:
(M-5 Rocket Propelled Grenade and M-78 Phased-Plasma Infantry Gun)

Part 1 of 2
Part 2 of 2

______________________________________________________________________________________

Part 1 of 3
Part 2 of 3
Part 3 of 3

M-83A2 SADAR - SADAR is an Acronym for "Shoulder-launched Active-homing Disposable Anti-tank Rocket" it was never mentioned in the movie, but it is available for the Marine to use in the 1999 release of the Aliens versus Predator PC Game. For those so who have owned or played that version of AvP should be aware of it, and those who never own nor played that version of AvP now knows where they came up with the idea of adding this weapon; from the USCM Technical Manual.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Part 1 of 3
Part 2 of 3
Part 3 of 3

M-42A Scope Rifle - Although never mentioned nor seen in the movie, the Colonial Marines does have a standard issue Sniper Rifle weapon system.

Please note that this is Not the same Sniper Rifle seen or used in the AvP2 PC game because that one is a WY-102 Sniper Rifle which is very likely a custom built weapon system by Weyland-Yutani for the Iron Bears mercenaries.

A similar USCM Sniper Rifle was seen or used in the more recent 2010 AvP game; that one was a M-42C Scope Rifle.

But anyways, if someone wants to apply or implement this USCM weapon in a future Aliens-themed mod, then be my guest.

If they feel it will even actually play an important role in their mod then feel free to do so. Because I think most will think or find that Sniping Weapons against Aliens seems pretty situational or useless and I do agree but if Predators are implemented in an Aliens-themed mod, then I don't see why not try and implement it.

It's just another concept here, I'm sure there are already plenty of Sniper Rifle mods for Source Ports of Doom and other various FPS games.

The last paragraph on this page mentioned that it is apparently possible to connect this Sniper Rifle into the local Sentry Gun matrix, allowing the Scout-Sniper to redirect Sentry Gun firing Arcs when in hot contact.

So they meant it is possible to operate the Sentry Guns and redirect fire manually. Another interesting concept, but I don't see how it could be implemented effectively in a Mod. But if it could be somehow, then why not? But I guess the Sentry Guns will have to somehow have a secondary Manual Override mode implemented first for this to be attempted.
destructomaniac.3

Post by destructomaniac.3 »

My dream... IT HAS COME TRUE! Can I give you a kiss, man?
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

First of all, thank you guys for your interest!!
That's a pleasure for me to see my TC is still "alive".

"Colonial Marines" is the TC of my life, started around 2004 and nowadays i'm still fixing/reviewing alot of stuff from the maps so this will be updated soon.

The marine-squad based gameplay is a pretty cool idea, and i allways wanted to implement something similar. The main problem is i'm only a maper, not a modder! So i don't have any idea how to add some marine squadrons on the maps. The regular ZDoom coops and similar stuff i saw were pretty dumb and not good for the mod. I need some ultra-inteligent coops, who follows you at your back and who covers you with some realistic tactics (covering corners, doors etc) and not just runing in circles out there, shooting and jumping with no sense.

Also i was thinking to work on a new episode that would be like a playable movie, with almost the same events of Aliens but scripted in the maps (the same four maps), with of course some scripted coops, and leave the main chapter (the previous on all ACM last releases) as an "arcade mode" and this new chapter more "cinematographic" with all the scripted events representing scenes of the movie, with all the characters and everything, taking Hicks again as the player/protagonist. But i'm not sure if is a good idea.

Talking about the weapons and some stuff, this is the Virtue's "Aliens TC SE" mod i added to my TC with his permission. So all comments about this should be commented to him.
Cheers!
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

deimos!
Spoiler:
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

DOOMERO-21 wrote:deimos!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
destructomaniac.3

Post by destructomaniac.3 »

When I try to use my flashlight, there is the flashlight sound and the flashlight in my hand lights up, but no real time lighting appears.

Also, how do I get to use the motion tracker without using up all my flares?
DrDoctor

Post by DrDoctor »

destructomaniac.3 wrote:When I try to use my flashlight, there is the flashlight sound and the flashlight in my hand lights up, but no real time lighting appears.
Try running the mod on an older version of GZDoom, the most recent builds messed up certain dynamic lights.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”