Mortila (HEXEN MOD) [BETA 2.66 RELEASED]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ibm5155

Re: Mortila.wad

Post by ibm5155 »

/OOOOOOOOMMMMMGGGGGGGGGG

It´s rare to see a soo nice creative screenshots, i really wanna play it (and for some reason it remembers me skyrim O_o)
BigProjectAlone

Post by BigProjectAlone »

thanks !!! :D
BigProjectAlone

look the first poste to see update about new monsters
Failure

Post by Failure »

A FPS now with RPG with story version...FU***** GENIUS :,)
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

Greetings.

I just played what is finished of your mod so far, and I am truly impressed. Its quality, even though it's still in development is astonishing, the place looks gorgeous, the music is beautiful... In short, it is just incredible.

I had to use the lag patch that jack101 made however and I can see what he changes; while using it all the grass textures disappeared. While it completely eliminated lag, the game didn't look nowhere near as pretty; though to be fair the maps are HUMONGOUS, so that must be a lot of textures to render. I have a pretty good PC myself but it is still too much, so maybe as a suggestion, instead of carpeting everywhere with lush grass, make some small pockets here and there that add to the scenery without cluttering too much. I mean, even without grass, it looked beautiful what with the lots of trees and stuff, so lush grass while looks pretty, is more of a plus.

Another small issue I encountered was in Griswold's Tavern, I tried to reach him and it was quite difficult due to the large amount of NPC's there, they made movement difficult; so yeah, another suggestion would be to maybe reduce the number of NPC's a bit.

And another quite unimportant is the minor grammar or orthography issue here and there, nothing game breaking or anything, as I said minor things.

Now as for the game itself and its execution, I really like how you made all the maps to be huge, open and full with pretty trees and stuff; however they do feel rather empty. In this case I would suggest, and I think it might work well, to put caves or dungeons to explore here and there. After all this is shaped to be an open world RPG, and seeing as you want a lot of maps, this could help towards that goal. The detail in the maps there are is astonishing, everything blends in pretty nicely and gives you an almost overwhelming sense of freedom. It is a nice touch that you separated the weapon shops for the Fighter and the other classes, though if I may suggest, maybe make more shops, for example, an item shop that sells mana crystals, potions and whatnot; a Magic shop for the Mage and Sorceress' weapons and stuff; the Smithy is fine as it is, and maybe a Hunter or Ranger shop or something for the Heretic, Assassin and Amazon's stuff. Just an idea to increase the RPG value, but it is pretty well as it is. Also regarding shops, it might be good to add a message when you purchase something, I mean, when you get an item it just appears in your inventory, so maybe an onscreen message saying "You have purchased X item" might be convenient. Same for the Crime system, instead of giving a white screen flash, a message may be easier to understand.

Another thing I liked was the dungeon in the Cave, the change of music when the zombies appeared was highly unexpected and really exciting, it set the mood awesomely for the fight that followed, lots of enemies and stuff, and the treasure chest at the end was a very good thing to do; as well as the hidden one in the same area. Stuff like this might work if you make other caves and whatnot, put some awesome item or lots of money as an incentive to explore and do stuff; for example making it so you could either buy your weapons at the shop or find them at the end of a dungeon might be nice. On the note of money, larger gold pickups could be good as well, not just 1$ coins but like, sacks of $5 or $10 and so on.

And well just as possible stuff to implement in the mod, maybe an RPG system with stats and leveling up, or a journal to keep track of your quests, stuff like that. ibm5155 said it reminds him of Skyrim, and it does for me as well, though it reminds me more of Daggerfall (which makes sense since you used sprites from it), so in that vein, as I said a journal and stats and whatnot might be a nice addition for the game, and possibly new weapons for the Knight, Cleric, Mage and Heretic classes.

So far I am really liking this mod, its level of quality and attention to detail is superb and it speaks loads about your talent as a modder and as an artists. I really hope you complete this mod in its entirety, it is shaped to be one of the greatest and highest in quality I have ever seen and played, and it's still on its early stages, so of course if you keep up this amazing work it will become much greater.
BigProjectAlone

Failure wrote:A FPS now with RPG with story version...FU***** GENIUS :,)
thanks !!!

(SallazarSpellcaster)

oh my god.. thank you very much for all you said about me and my wad!
i'm really happy to ear such a good comment about it, that really encourage me to continue.

so for the things you said about the tavern, the shops, the NPC's, the journal, the dungeon and everythings.
i will work on that!!
none of the maps is really finished yet, so yes i've planned to add dungeon and everything.

for the weapons of mage,heretic,fighter,cleric... i dont know what weapon to add..
if you have idea, or new weapon already made, just tell me!!

and the vertion you play now is pretty old..
a lots of new things have been add to the game, such as new grass.
and now the lag patch is not needed because i've fix the grass problems.
and some other problems have been fixed too.

for the sense of freedom its exactly what i wanted!! happy to ear that you feel it!!
and the maps will be more detailed than that, i got new trees and flowers to add.
i will work on all of that.
SallazarSpellcaster

It is a pleasure, and it is an honest opinion. This is one of the best WADs I have played and it is enormous, in size and scope.

Awesome. As for the NPC's, well I don't know if you have played STRIFE, but it has sort of an RPG system as well, and when you talk to an NPC a submenu opens up that lets you pick what to say, stuff like "Good bye" or "Where can I find this or that?"; I'm guessing you have played other RPG's such as Diablo (Sign of this the Amazon and the Town Portal scroll which honestly, is awesome and really useful), so sort of something like that. On that vein as well, maybe if possible implementing a stat system to make characters more different from each other, not only their weapons. As I have said before it is a suggestion to give off a more RPG feel, however as it is right now, old version and all, it is still a lot of fun.

Well there are many weapons made in the forums, some ideas could be the Witchaven weapons for the Knight ( http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... en#p522913 at the bottom there's a link to the sprites), they are mostly swords, maces and daggers so they might fit in very well with him. There is also a bow but I think that would be better for the Amazon. And well I think the main thing about the weapons is that they fit with the character. This could also be used for RPing purposes, again if that is what you intend, I mean for example, let the Mage and Sorceress use the strongest magic weapons and spells but not like axes and stuff. Another thing that could help for the Mage, Sorceress and Cleric is to make spells for them to use, like Fireball or Lightning and maybe having them used through the inventory.

It's kind of difficult to explain, however there's another mod that has done something like that, and maybe you could get some ideas from it, ( http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... surrection ) Serpent Resurrection by TheUltimateDoomer is an RPG mod that does many of the things I'm suggesting, like stats, spells, weapons and stuff. There's also Scattered Evil ( http://www.korax-heritage.com/index.php ) which implements a journal and stats as well. Serpent Resurrection is finished, while Scattered Evil is still a work in progress but maybe they could give you some ideas for your mod, they're both very good in quality as well.

I see, that is awesome; I mean the grass really gave a nice lot of detail but being so heavy it caused that massive lag, I cannot wait to see how things will look like with the new stuff you are going to add. OH and also I forgot to comment about the skybox, it looks really nice, blue sky and clean, I think it fits really well.

Indeed it does give a lot of freedom, allowing you to go wherever you want whenever you want. And well, I think that the Heretic/HeXen games really don't deserve as much attention as they should, so I'm quite glad you're making such a high quality mod for them.
BigProjectAlone

thank you again!! and thanks for links, i will take a look at this, it should help me a lot :D
SallazarSpellcaster

Again, a pleasure.

As I said this is one WAD I really hope is brought to completion, it has a lot of potential and even in the demo version it is really fun to just wander around and admire the scenery.
Nash

Post by Nash »

BPA: Have you added the +NOINTERACTION flag to your grass actors? Does it help improve performance?
BigProjectAlone

Nash wrote:BPA: Have you added the +NOINTERACTION flag to your grass actors? Does it help improve performance?
for 2 or 3 of them i use it, but for some i need them to block the player so can't use it.
with +NOINTERACTION the thing will not block the player? i'm wrong?
and thanks for your help :D

i've deleted a bunch of grass and now that dont lag anymore. :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

For blocking grass, use inheritance:

Code: Select all

Actor DefaultGrass
{
    // bla bla bla
    +NOINTERACTION
}

Actor BlockingGrass : DefaultGrass
{
    -NOINTERACTION
    +SOLID
}
And place those in place of the default grass.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Blocking the player with a blocking line works, too.
BigProjectAlone

thank you everyone !! but i will work on all of that later because for now i'm working on several sprites sheets. so mortila is pretty on hold.
here is my sprites projects if you are interested!

UPDATE!!!!!!:
Spoiler:
BigProjectAlone

hello you !! i'm back on Mortila since a couple of days and i've done some things.

*i've add a skybox to all the maps
*replaced some textures and some sprites
*add a bunch of new enemies
*replace every monsters by spawners, to make each monsters races appears randomly, chosen by many of the same type in the spawner, with diferent strenght and speed..
*add new textures..
*fixed some bugs

!new screenshot with the all new skybox and sprites!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”