[VERSION 1.01] Prime Directive (aka Space Station Omega 2)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
GooberMan

[VERSION 1.01] Prime Directive (aka Space Station Omega 2)

Post by GooberMan »

Version 1.01 is released! Get it from the idgames archive (or if it hasn't updated yet, my Google Drive).

What has changed in this version?
  • Marines now have their weapons colour coded
  • SSG marines now have a reload time
  • Someone found a rather major dead end with the yellow key, so there is now a safety barrier in place
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes
A bit of a FAQ is in order here before you consider this download too.
FAQ wrote:Does this work with weapons mods?

No. I define a new player class, and all vanilla weapons are reimplemented with tracking abilities. Weapons mods cannot deal with this. If you want to make it work with your favourite weapons mod, by all means do it yourself and release a path/remixed version for the community. Prime Directive is released under a Creative Commons license and as such remixing is encouraged.

Should I play this if I can't stand story in Doom mods?

No. This is not the mod for you.

Should I play this if I can't stand RPG elements in Doom mods?

Maybe. If you can stand the story, there is a path you can take through the mod that doesn't want you to level up a weapon. The Gateway Experiments aim to give the player choice and freedom, so while I don't signpost things the choice of progression is entirely up to you.

Should I 100% this thing? What have I missed?

There are some pretty silly goals required to 100% this mapset. That's intentional. The idea of 100% completing a game is something I find a bit silly, especially in such a choice-driven experience as Prime Directive, so there's some silly things you need to do to 100% it. More interesting though is how little percentage you can complete it in...
Further to this, I have recorded a commentary and (near) 100% playthrough for Prime Directive. If you don't want to play, or you want some insight in to the plot and how I approached creating it, then devote two and a half hours of your life to listening to my voice and watching the following:

Older posts:
Spoiler:
Last edited by GooberMan on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Springy

Re: I might be working on a new project

Post by Springy »

Oh yes! I enjoyed Space Station Omega very much. Thought it said in the text file that you were thinking of a sequel? I'm probably mistaken, regardless I look forward to it.
GooberMan

Re: [WIP] I might be working on a new project

Post by GooberMan »

The text did mention sequels, and a year after I released SSO I "retired" from Doom mapping. Except that's a lie. I've done some maps in the interim, both unreleased and released anonymously. This release will be skipping episodes 2, 3, and 4. Don't expect them to ever be made.
Nash

Post by Nash »

... whoa now you came out of nowhere :O

Welcome back!

I remember being impressed with your mod's dialog system back in the day. I also remember the user had to bind keys to make dialog selections. I hope that's a thing of the past now and that you are utilzing [wiki]GetPlayerInput[/wiki].
Last edited by Nash on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

GooberMan wrote:And it might be a sequel to Space Station Omega.
And its name is "I might be working on a new project"? :P
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Nash wrote:I also remember the user had to bind keys to make dialog selections. I hope that's a thing of the past now and that you are utilzing [wiki]GetPlayerInput[/wiki].
I haven't gotten around to implementing the dialog choices again, but using GetPlayerInput is part of the plan. I'll likely go back and retrofit it to Space Station Omega too for consistency's sake. But that will come later. The plan is to get the gameflow down before I muck it up with conversations. My time in the game industry has definitely altered the way I go about making Doom WADS ;)
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

GooberMan wrote:My time in the game industry has definitely altered the way I go about making Doom WADS ;)
I know you meant this to sound like a good thing, but given the general quality of games released by the industry, at least as far as shooters go, you might make people think that you've been hanging around with the wrong sort of crowd. :P
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Well, there is that :-P But then again, that's why I'm taking inspiration from Metroid Prime in terms of progression. No linear CoD-fest for you!
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

GooberMan wrote:Well, there is that :-P But then again, that's why I'm taking inspiration from Metroid Prime in terms of progression. No linear CoD-fest for you!
Ah, excellent! Love Metroid Prime. :D
GooberMan

Re: [WIP] Prime Directive (aka Space Station Omega 2)

Post by GooberMan »

NEW! 5 January 2013

Now with an updated version of Space Station Omega! It contains a completely reimplemented conversation script. The idea is that people download the map, try it out, and tell me if it completely breaks on them. I've only given it a complete run-through once, but it seemed fine.

The update, I figured, would take about an hour. I needed to write the speech system for Prime Directive, and Space Station Omega was a good testbed. Instead, it took three hours to write the new ACS and get it working proper in Space Station Omega. Those scripts are FREAKING TERRIBLE GUYS! HOLY BALLS!

Download it from here! (Just a note if you've never Google Drive'd before - this is a link to a ZIP file, you can click File/Download from the page to download the entire thing as a ZIP)
Last edited by GooberMan on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I keep getting an error when I press the key that I bound to the radio:

Code: Select all

You picked up a radio!
Unknown command "ge_cycle"
I guess the command is not actually ge_cycle?

[edit] Oh, and I noticed this blast from the past in the text file http://zdoom.notgod.com ;) [/edit]
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Whoops. Missed that one. It's ge_activateradio if you want to go editing the KEYCONF lump.

Otherwise, I'm uploadiing a new version now. Which means the download link will change.
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

New version is up. New link edited in to previous posts.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Re: custom controls:

You should fully utilize [wiki]MENUDEF[/wiki] to further customize the final look and polish of your options menu and user interface with regards to custom controls (for example, I make a custom MENUDEF to clean up irrelevant Strife controls, and reorganize the control list order to be more "logical")

EDIT:

- Player isn't fully frozen during the non-first-person portion of the intro cutscene
- Cutscenes should be skippable
Gez

Post by Gez »

Have you looked into [wiki]ZSDF[/wiki] for conversation scripts?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”