Back to Saturn X E1: Get Out Of My Stations

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CorSair

Re: Back to Saturn X Episode I released!

Post by CorSair »

.+:icytux:+. wrote:Corsair: That is a separate project: http://www.vapor.spork-chan.net/?page_id=11
Uhm, I was meaning that this wad was supposed to be vaporware or eternal project, not the project you mentioned... :roll:
Gez

Post by Gez »

All esselprojects are supposed to be vaporware.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Can't save in doom2.exe
Tormentor667

Re: Back to Saturn X Episode I released! (0.99e, map21 fix)

Post by Tormentor667 »

Yes, it's christmas - today!
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

Ohhh, two great WADs in one week, first DTS-T and then this one! Man, the christmas really did come early this year. However, there are some minor things which could be polished, IMO:

-I was practically drowning in ammo in most of the maps, especially in map03 thru map12. At first, I thought that I'm supposed to have pistol start at each map, but there is nothing about that in the TXT file. Even in the later maps, my rocket count rarely got under 30 and cells under 200, with shells being near 100 almost constantly. In fact, I didn't have to use fists and chainsaw at all during the entire playthrough, even though I played at UV. Needless to say, all that ammo makes the gameplay rather easy.

-Like somebody mentioned above, I had hard time distinguishing between door and a normal wall - they all look so alike. Yes, I know there are lights next to each door, but you placed similar lights almost everywhere. Could you add some clear sign or an unique graphic pattern to the door textures, so they would stand out a little?

-The language style used in the intertitles between the missions is really... unusual. Is it supposed to be like that?

-Not really a problem, but about one third of music tracks are more fit for a mexican soap opera than an action game...

Oh, and - the name of the mod is "Back to Saturn X" which implies it is a continuation of some previous mod (but I found nothing). Well, is it?
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I'm enjoying this so far, there's a good level of challenge without it being overwhelming. I also really like the map textures, they've got a good futuristic UAC base feel to them.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Caleb13 wrote:first DTS-T
What? :shock:
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Tormentor667 wrote:
Caleb13 wrote:first DTS-T
What? :shock:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34430
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

@Blue Shadow: I think Tormentor was suprised that I called DTS-T "great". But that's just me - I consider DTS-T great because I mostly like mods with no new monsters, weapons or sounds. I fully understand however, that by current Zdoom community standards, DTS-T is considered "inferior"...
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

I suffered immensely because people said the final Hub was good, but I was too tired from the unattactive, dreary misery of the first two thirds of the wad, so I'll get back to you later. It's inferior because the majority of it is a near monster-less series of 90 degree angles. Go play CC4. Your attempted stab at the ZDoom Community is pretty funny considering Enjay, Esselfortium, Xaser, and other legendary mappers post here regularly.
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

So what are you trying to say, exactly?

-That when I say I liked DTS-T, I'm trying to troll?

-That you knew damn well that you should skip the first maps, but you suddenly forgot how to use IDCLEV cheat?

-That if you, Enjay, Tormentor or other Zdoom VIPs decide that mod XYZ is below some standards, then it is crap and nobody is allowed to actually enjoy it?

-That Saturn X is superior to DTS-T, because it mainly uses 45-degrees angles instead of 90-degrees? Even though Saturn X is just one mass of brown and grey (like others commented before me) whereas DTS-T author at least tried to use different texture styles?

I mean really, those first DTS-T maps looked and played a lot like original Doom 1 maps. No, I didn't like them much and I wrote about it to DTS-T author. But AFAIR Doom-1-style mods are still made today, so I really don't see what is so terrible about that. Oh and I already played (and enjoyed) CC4, thanks for the tip, though.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Caleb13 wrote:So what are you trying to say, exactly?

-That when I say I liked DTS-T, I'm trying to troll?

-That you knew damn well that you should skip the first maps, but you suddenly forgot how to use IDCLEV cheat?

-That if you, Enjay, Tormentor or other Zdoom VIPs decide that mod XYZ is below some standards, then it is crap and nobody is allowed to actually enjoy it?

-That Saturn X is superior to DTS-T, because it mainly uses 45-degrees angles instead of 90-degrees? Even though Saturn X is just one mass of brown and grey (like others commented before me) whereas DTS-T author at least tried to use different texture styles?

I mean really, those first DTS-T maps looked and played a lot like original Doom 1 maps. No, I didn't like them much and I wrote about it to DTS-T author. But AFAIR Doom-1-style mods are still made today, so I really don't see what is so terrible about that. Oh and I already played (and enjoyed) CC4, thanks for the tip, though.
I'm not even going to attempt to dignify this with a response. Quit derailing my project thread, you jackass.

edit: Okay, I have to respond at least a little:
I mean really, those first DTS-T maps looked and played a lot like original Doom 1 maps.
This statement is so wrong I killed myself.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I don't know if this is tied into this mapset or not, but I noticed once or twice I'd get "stuck" inside a wall and couldn't move even though I was barely touching the wall. If I noclipped my way out I'd get pushed in the direction I was going with a decent amount of force. I'll see if I can make it happen again so I can give you a map number.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

-Ghost- wrote:I don't know if this is tied into this mapset or not, but I noticed once or twice I'd get "stuck" inside a wall and couldn't move even though I was barely touching the wall. If I noclipped my way out I'd get pushed in the direction I was going with a decent amount of force. I'll see if I can make it happen again so I can give you a map number.
Dew found an issue that sounded a lot like that in some early versions of MAP03. It seems to be related to the use of odd-angled lines in tight corners. If you can find where it's happening, it should be no trouble to fix.
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

esselfortium wrote:Quit derailing my project thread, you jackass.
Please honour this man's request. The DTS-T discussion doesn't belong in this thread.

Return to “Levels”