Converting vanilla maps to UDMF made easy

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
DeVloek

Converting vanilla maps to UDMF made easy

Post by DeVloek »

Hello everyone, I don't know if something like this has been posted already, but after searching for hours, I couldn't find any info that sums up how I could convert my old maps to UDMF without having to fix all the linedef and sector actions. I also couldn't find a section where to post guides and tutorials so I post this here.

A while ago, I created some Doom maps for a little mini-episode project of mine. Although I was already using Doom Builder 2 for mapping and ZDoom for playing, I had no idea that I could easily implement all the new features that ZDoom provides by starting a new map in UDMF. I simply created the maps in Doom 2 format, the format I've used since.. well, since Doom 2. Only after I joined the Realm667 forum a few weeks ago I became aware of the great possibilities of ZDoom and UDMF. It was suggested that I could use Boom format to make the maps compatible with other source ports, but I want to add my own monsters and items which I already created using Decorate. So UDMF was the first choice.

A few of my maps were already finished, so I wanted to convert them to the new format. I looked around the ZDoom and Doomworld forums and bit by bit I found out how to do that. Not without problems though. I had the most trouble with linedef and sector actions, as they seem to be totally different in both formats. You cannot just change the format with Doom Builder 2, all actions will be changed and for larger maps it's gonna be a chore to fix them all.
After digging through a lot of threads and trying several methods, I eventually found out how convert my maps in a quick and easy way, without having to remap linedefs etc.

Long story short, I created a little tool to help me with the conversion process. It's basically a front-end for the programs zwadconv.exe, wad2udmf.exe, and zdbsp.exe. All three files are embedded into my .exe so you don't need them. I don't know if it will help anybody, but now that I wrote it, I might as well share it. Here is the download from my dropbox:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4091016/Doom/convUDMF.zip (the file has been scanned with the latest AVG and is free of any evil things)

I don't know if I'm allowed to post this so if the authors of those programs don't approve, I will take it down.

Readme.txt is included so there shouldn't be any problems with usage.

If you don't want to use this program for any reason, here's what I did before I created it. In fact I wrote this guide before I wrote the program, which I wrote after proof-reading my guide. I thought, why not make a batch file? Anyway, here's what you do:

Preparation
  1. Afaik, the only map editor that supports UDMF is Doom Builder 2. If you don't have it yet, get it here
  2. Get zwadconv (scroll down to Editing Utilities) and wad2udmf
  3. Extract zwadconv.exe and wad2udmf.exe from their archives into the folder where you usually save your map WADs
Conversion
  1. [This step is optional and must only be taken if your converted map has scrambled linedef/sector actions after conversion] Load your original map into Doom Builder 2. When it asks for the game configuration, choose "ZDoom (Doom in Doom format)". This should keep all your old linedef/sector actions intact. Save the map (eg. mymap.wad).
  2. Start cmd.exe (or any other program that has a command prompt, eg. Total Commander), go to the folder that contains mymap.wad and the two conversion programs.
    Type the following commands:

Code: Select all

zwadconv mymap.wad temp.wad
    wad2udmf -i temp.wad -o mymap_udmf.wad
    The first command will convert your map to Hexen format. As far as I have tested it, no data will be lost during the conversion, all your linedef/sector actions should say intact. The second command will convert the map to UDMF format. Because the Hexen format is much more like UDMF than the Doom format, this conversion should work just fine. Well, almost fine, see below. You may now delete temp.wad, it was just a placeholder for the conversion.
  3. Load mymap_udmf.wad into DB2. You will notice that there are many bogus vertices scattered all over your linedefs, most of the time aligned to existing vertices. They are not connected to the linedefs and can easily be removed.
    To do this, simply draw a new sector anywhere besides your map area. Save the map, and DB2 will build new nodes. Load your map, the bogus vertices are gone.
    Delete the sector your created before and save your map. Done! You can now take advantage of all the cool features that UDMF offers :)

NOTE: Alternatively, if you don't want to use DB2, you can use ZDBSP to build the nodes. It's also available at the ZDoom download page.

BTW, the tool and the steps above also work for Megawads. I've tried old Megawads from 1994 as well as new ones. Also works for IWADs such as TNT.wad. The maps were running fine, even without fixing the bogus vertices. But I have yet to test special tags such as 666 and 667.

edit: grammar/spelling

another edit: updated the program, it's now called convUDMF to avoid confusion with UDMFconvert. Also now includes zdbsp.exe for convenience. You no longer need to use DB2 to build the nodes after conversion. Thanks to Enjay for this suggestion!

yet another edit: found it the tool(s) convert maps in Boom format as well. Updated file and readme.txt with the info.
Last edited by DeVloek on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Converting vanilla maps to UDMF made easy

Post by wildweasel »

New users take note: This is a good first post!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Indeed, an excellent post - first or otherwise.

Might there be any mileage in adding zdbsp to the process so that you can build nodes as a final step and auto-remove the extra vertices?

As a side question, is there no way to force a node build in DB2 without adding and removing map geometry?
DeVloek

Post by DeVloek »

Enjay wrote:Might there be any mileage in adding zdbsp to the process so that you can build nodes as a final step and auto-remove the extra vertices?
Great idea!

I made a new version which includes zdbsp.exe. I also polished the "menu" structure a bit and added a fancy logo to the first screen 8-) I have updated the dropbox link in the first post.
Enjay wrote: As a side question, is there no way to force a node build in DB2 without adding and removing map geometry?

Anything that changes the map geometry forces a node build upon save. Just moving a vertex works too. But I could not find a direct way to force a node build. Someone should create a DB2 plugin that adds a node build button. Or a button that simply removes the bogus vertices. I remember WADed, my favorite editor back in the day, had both options. :geek:
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The original Doom Builder had a "build nodes" button, but the feature was removed from Doom Builder 2 for some reason. :?
DeVloek

Post by DeVloek »

I tested the convUDMF with maps in Boom format. Seems to work fine as well, I couldn't find any mis-converted actions. I've updated the readme.txt and the on-screen info accordingly.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Brilliant, I think this will help me a lot thanks for this.
DeVloek

Post by DeVloek »

Nice to hear this is of use to someone :)

Updated the file with latest ZDBSP (v1.18)
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Sorry to bump but I need it D:

-How did you made colors at a console software since it's not more suported (at least the dos colors)
-How did you used the windows interface to select a file? I always wanted to do it on my console softwares but it never worked =/

EDIT:ah, just colored batch with special commands from advanced bat to exe converter '-' and I thinking that it was c...
Bob Evans

Post by Bob Evans »

I just wanted to thank you for this great Converter, DeVloek, although your last post here was 1 year ago so this thread is probably dead.
Other converters I tried just really made a mess of my new Wad. I had just about given up when I saw your post.
My wad is about 1,600 sectors with roughly 600 things, about 190 sector tags + other IDs and counting without monsters yet. Except for a few minor
details with assigning Editor numbers to new sprites everything else looks really good
Thanks again.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Wanna bet this causes problems with Plutonia MAP11? ;)

Please note that zwadconv has been unmaintained for several years and does not really do a 100% faithful conversion of the original map!
(I think it's time to write a new version of it that can be kept up to date easily...)
malon3

Post by malon3 »

Graf Zahl wrote:Wanna bet this causes problems with Plutonia MAP11? ;)
What's special about Plutonia map 11? I did some googling, couldn't find anything.
cocka

Post by cocka »

Please note that zwadconv has been unmaintained for several years and does not really do a 100% faithful conversion of the original map!
That's why you should start editing with a vanilla Hexen map. Then there will be no need to use zwadconv at all. :lol:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

MALON wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:Wanna bet this causes problems with Plutonia MAP11? ;)
What's special about Plutonia map 11? I did some googling, couldn't find anything.

The first switch that instantly lowers the floor. That special was incorrectly mapped to a Hexen type which was incorrectly implemented.
So once the Hexen type was fixed a new special for the Doom type had to be added - and the corresponding mapping for Doom map specials changed.
cocka

Post by cocka »

Well, it should raise the floor to the lowest surrounding ceiling (158). So it should travel from 112 to 158. But this doesn't happen. Why?

I would say this behaviour would be OK if the reference were the adjacent floor and not the ceiling.

The reason for that would be that you cannot raise a floor to the adjacent one being lower than the actual floor.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”