Unholy Retribution - BOSS WAD

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Unholypimpin

Unholy Retribution - BOSS WAD

Post by Unholypimpin »

Beta 1.1 link here (REALLY OLD VERSION)
http://www.mediafire.com/?oa4gzbtlz2ohj2d

===========================================================
This is a Single/coop wad iv been making over the past weeks.

This wad features magical weapons and a boss at the end of each map.

Each map will introduce a new weapon which has its own energy type and attacks. Each weapon has strengths and weaknesses to balance things out.
Each Weapon has a main and alt fire. Most weapons are pretty straight forward but this one weapon that isnt is the bloodbane. The alt fire of this weapon reloads the weapon quickly at the cost of 15 life. If you do not use the alt fire than after 8 shots you must endure a long reload time.
Weapons recharge ammo over time, even when not selected. Some weapons do not recharge their ammo unless certain conditions are met. For example the alt fire of the demonskull weapon only gains ammo when you fire its main attack.

The first few maps are short but each map gets longer in length and of course the boss at the end gets harder.

There are 5 finished maps atm
=====================================

Boss fights will have some scripted events.

How you get health and armor is by killing minions, Stronger minions give more health and armor per kill. Things like imps give u 4 armor and 4 health per kill and things like revenants give 8.
==============================================================

During boss fights minions spawn randomly, which provide extra health and armor during fights.

SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:
===========================================

special thanks to Whodaman, Eriance and id for sounds sprites and more. Theres probably more people that need credit but atm i forgot who they are.
Last edited by Unholypimpin on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Arch

Re: Death Eternal BOSS WAD Alpha 1.1 released!

Post by Arch »

PLayed the first map and really enjoyed it;

I liked how the first weapon slowly recharges, so you have to use melee.

Getting life and armor from monsters is also nice.

I would suggest an autosave before the bosses.
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

Arch wrote:
I would suggest an autosave before the bosses.
Thats a great suggestion actually, ill add that in the next alpha i release.

Let me know how you like the other maps.
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

I'd recommend making the first map longer, the boss fight is HEAPS harder than the actual map.
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

0bsidian wrote:I'd recommend making the first map longer, the boss fight is HEAPS harder than the actual map.
Thats on the todo list as well as changing some areas on map04 and map02
Unholypimpin

Re: Unholy Retribution - BOSS WAD

Post by Unholypimpin »

This project is not dead and I am currently focusing all my doom modding time on it.

As promised all boss fights are now scripted and have at least 2 scripted events that happen during the fight. I also have been fiddling with the HUD and boss health text which are shown in the video i linked below. There will now be items that you can collect while playing. Many weapon changes have been made but the most noticeable of them is the changes to the Mace weapon.
The mace now only recharges ranged energy when you land a hit on an enemy in melee range. You can now store up to 25 ammo for the mace weapon(which means 25 ranged attacks). I did this to encourage people to actually use the melee attack of this weapon instead of waiting a few seconds for your ranged ammo to replenish.

So far there are 6 maps complete and once I finish the 8th map I will release another demo of this wad.

Here is the video.

Please give me some feedback so I can improve this wad more than I already have.
I mainly want feedback on the HUD but any feedback is welcomed.

Thanks for reading.
Arch

Post by Arch »

I liked it very much; smashing monsters with that mace is really satisfying :)

About the new video, I think it's really nice that you get the energy by killing monsters; rewarding players for killing enemies is good gameplay, and avoid them to simply skip sections.

It would be very nice if we could see the energy coming from dead enemies, like God of War, Devil May Cry, Onimusha, these kind of games.

I felt the music a bit too atmospheric, there's good action, gushing blood, and the music keeps calm all the time. At least in the boss fight, I think there could be another song.

About the hud, I liked it, it's clean and gives all info you need.
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

There is a weapon that gives you energy only when you kill enemies with other weapons than itself. I also added a new weapon that gives you energy when you take damage. Please note that all weapons use their own type of energy, so don't worry if you waste all your energy with one weapon because all the others will still have their own.

Also killing enemies gives you health and armor, weaker enemies like imps and demons give you less than enemies like hellknights and barons.

NEW SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:
I'm am currently adding more scripted events to current bosses as well as adding more item pickups.

Return to “Levels”