Horizontally moving platforms

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Nash

Re: Horizontally moving platforms

Post by Nash »

Oh wow that works surprisingly well, at least for single player purposes! One small quirk I guess is how if you bump into the platform from the sides, sometimes the platform freezes in place and sometimes it would change to its opposite direction... I kind of expected it to just push me away if I bump into it from the side...
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

LOL, so even though this is no-ed, AFADoomer still did it. Really nice. :D
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Enjay wrote:Hang on, hang on. Don't you know that what you just did can't be done? ;)

Seriously, that works really well and is very smooth.
Hey! I had a move with polyobjs patch awhile back, I assume moving along with a thing would be very similar. :P The only problems I had with that was precision errors (rotation) and sliding the polyobj through a wall could cause the players velocity to be 0 which disables the floor checks (thus the player would float in the error after the obj slides out form under him).

Edit: Since it sounds weird reading it again, I do know that AFADoomer's thing is just a mod. They both do work in similar ways though, although being done in DECORATE/ACS would solve the floating problem automatically.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Blzut3 wrote:Hey! I had a move with polyobjs patch awhile back, I assume moving along with a thing would be very similar. :P
Am I the only one not doing impossible things? ;)
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Thanks for the feedback, all...

Right now, the platforms 'bounce' off of anything they hit, because of how the collision detection works.
Gez wrote:It works nicely, but only for the player of course. Engine-side support, if it were implemented somehow, would allow to put imps on these platforms. :)
Per your request...
(the far right platform is actually circling around the static platform above the armor, and the one in the background is moving from left to right)

Same URL as before...

Voxel sprite clipping seems to be problematic, but that's only a problem if you're viewing the platforms from below (you can see it some here).

The only real limitation seems to be that only one monster at a time can be on each platform (haven't tried multiple players). I think BUMPSPECIAL only allows one monster activator at a time on an object? It works fine with one monster and the player on the same platform, but additional monsters don't activate the script that moves them with the platform (and, of course, items and other non-monster/non-player things can't activate it at all).
Last edited by AFADoomer on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Heh, seems to work really well.
AFADoomer wrote: Same URL as before...
Well, it would be if it wasn't for a typo (you've got /com instead of .com )
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Fixed now...

I added a couple of more pre-defined platform actors...
PlatformCircle - moves in a circle with an inner radius of around 128 (the angle changes 1 degree per tic).
PlatformRandom - moves in astraight line, but 'bounces' off of walls at random angles
ImpPlatform - For Gez
Gez

Post by Gez »

Haha, awesome. :)
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

when we'll see the players running through the map with flying skateboards? :D

[edit]
ie that one
\/
Last edited by Edward-san on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Erm. I'm almost done coding up a platform that you start controlling when you land on it... It even works over water without extra power! OK, I added a flag that makes the hoverboard slowly lose momentum over liquid textures (though the texture names are hardcoded... :-/).

EDIT: Re-uploaded... Summon 'driveplatform' or 'hoverboard'... Bump into them to start controlling them, click use to land them and step off (there's a delay of 3 seconds after they land for you to get off, then you can get back on them.

The hoverboard is limited to a max flight height of 20 units... So if you go off of a ledge, you'll drift down to height 20 above the next floor level (and can get stuck in places like the e1m1 slime pits). The drivable platform is unlimited in flight height (until it hits the sky/ceiling).

Up and down movement is controlled based off of view pitch, or you can bind the move up/down keys and use those.
Last edited by AFADoomer on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

I do wonder, is a closed feature suggestion the best place to discuss this? :P
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

Nice move, Dusk. Yes, I'd like to see a moderator who split up this discussion... in Editing?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Edward-san wrote:Nice move, Dusk. Yes, I'd like to see a moderator who split up this discussion... in Editing?
Why split it when the whole thread will do? =P
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

If this was still a suggestion, it would have to be something like "make horizontal moving platforms easier to implement". Anyways, this oozes pure awesome.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”