Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v3.2.1]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Blox

Re: Improving PerK's smooth animations mod

Post by Blox »

Noproblemosenor, they did turn out quite nice - yeah.
This thing is getting a bit long:

Code: Select all

Blox (Shotgun/Super Shotgun frame tweaks, fixes for
                             Z86 Chaingun, extra Plasma rifle frames & code,
								Hacking together new explosion animation code,
									Improved gloved fist sprites)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Blox wrote:I was waiting for Nash to come out with something
Oh I'm sorry, I missed this thread, what were you waiting for again? :O

(Oh and PS... I want a gloveless version like vanilla Doom... T_T)
Blox

Post by Blox »

But here I went ahead and made the gloves pretty. D:
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Why would Doomguy bother to take off his gloves to use his brass knuckles anyway?
Piter432

Post by Piter432 »

Blox wrote:Oh, and I'm working on something: UPDATE - Improved the look of the gloved punching fists. Now they actually look like Doom gloves. o_O
Spoiler:
Nice edit ;) Can you make a version with no brass knuckles?
Blox

Post by Blox »

no
Spoiler:
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I have uploaded new versions.

Changes:
> The three new fist gloves sprites by Blox are added.
> Weapons are properly centered according to the Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fixing Project by Revenant100 (see Doomworld forums). This should make both mods compatible.

If you want to see how big the alignment changes are:
> Shotgun: -3 px
> Super Shotgun: -4 px
> Chaingun: -1 px
> Rocket Launcher: -2 px
> Plasma Rifle: -1 px
> BFG: -6 px

The only thing I would still like to see changed (besides support for more ports besides ZDoom) is a different BFG animation which rather features a recoil for the whole weapon instead of just the muzzle part. If someone can make it work with the flashing red lights on top and without breaking the muzzle flash, feel free! :)
Nemesis6

Post by Nemesis6 »

Any chance the latest version is gonna be made Zandronum-compatible? The last one that was made so was released in October 2012.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Noticed a few things:

In the black gloves version:
The idle frame for the shotgun is the normal tan doom glove. When towards the end of the firing animation where it goes to the idle frame, the gloves appear black only for a fraction of a second, but then go back to tan.

When using the fist, the right hand gains a black glove when you start to punch and throughout the animation. To fix this, I'd suggest going back to the plain old bare hands and brass knuckles like in the original Perkristan animations mod.

A minor nitpick: the BFG firing animation is way too smooth for Doom's grittiness, in my opinion. Just doesn't feel like it belongs. Perhaps if some frames were removed from the black part shifting down and the flash?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

The point why we added gloves to the fist was because they are visible on all the other weapons, and it seems kinda unlikely that Doomguy is taking them off before doing a fist fight. xD Anyway, maybe I will still create a gloves-free fist version after all. Gonna check the black gloves edition for the problems you mentioned during the weekend. Probably not difficult to fix (provided I can reproduce this).

The BFG is considered being a placeholder only anyway. It's better to move the whole weapon during recoil, not just the muzzle. Right now, it has tons of animation frames indeed which are not necessarily needed. Hopefully, someone will come up with a better solution soon.

I won't add the smooth explosion right now however since a) we don't know who made it and b) this would break rocket explosion decals in ZDoom.

Regarding support for other ports besides ZDoom, I am depending on external help since I have no idea how to code this. Def files can easily be included if one of you was so kind to post them there.
I have restored Zandronum support today with a new upload since apparently it just affects the plasma rifle code which was provided by Blox. It was simply a matter of updating the DECORATE lump.
Nemesis6

Post by Nemesis6 »

It seems a bug has slipped in, this happens when I shoot the double shotgun: http://postimage.org/image/bvwau6ch7/
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Well this had already been in there for a long time, I think. It is because the flash sprites have the "bright" tag. I guess this can be fixed by removing the barrel parts which are not needed.

*EDIT*
Changed the two muzzle flash frames for the super shotgun. Take a look and see if it looks better now.

*EDIT #2*
I gave the same treatment to the shotgun muzzle flash, it also needed more parts of the barrel removed on the muzzle flash frames.

@Lava Grunt:
I could not reproduce your issues with the black gloves. My guess is you are using the Minor Sprite Fix Project as well and load the wads in the wrong order. Please make sure the sprite fixes are loaded BEFORE this one!
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Thanks for maintaining this great little mod.

I'm glad to hear you're considering a glove-free fist version. I've managed to play Doom for nearly 20 years without being bothered by Doomguy's quick-change act. :)
Blox

Post by Blox »

NightFright wrote:> The three new fist gloves sprites by Blox are added.
How about all of them, because I have a huge boner for inconsistencies without a purpose?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Missing fist gloves replaced.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”