There will be BLOOD

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Doctor-Dos

Re: There will be BLOOD

Post by Doctor-Dos »

Vaecrius wrote: Excessive cruelty to helpless opponents is there as well. (I find that Brutal Doom does not, despite having an explicit "cruelty bonus", do this - either an opponent is an actually useful human shield or your "cruely" is, ironically, putting them out of their misery!) Hypothetical example: Guy drops weapon and surrenders, you burn him to death with flamethrower.
The original Blood had many "helpless" victims that you could kill/light afire/etc.

Thanks for the flamethrower idea!!! :twisted: :lol:

To quote Caleb, "Fresh victims for the evergrowing army of the undead!"
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

At first I thought this was about the movie...then I remembered this is General.

I'd love to see Blood some sort of sourceport (for better controls) but I don't think that will ever happen. I remember some guy tried contacting one of the guys who worked on it and he said "yeh" on releasing the sourcecode but I think that fell flat when the company denied it or something.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Enjay wrote:For me it would have to be pretty extreme to have crossed the line so, basically, anything within the normal limits of what you might expect in an 18+ game would be fine by me.
British 18+ mind you is different than the 18+ in other countries, which the difference usually being explicit sexual content or actual gambling..... and I hope you don't need to cross THAT line with such unnecessary hyperbole! Even language can be offsetting. Try to imagine a Caleb who says "FUCK!" for every verb, add "FUCKING" to every noun, and ending everything he says with a delayed, delivered "........BITCH!". That's crossing the line of mature content and just RefugeInAudacity, and doesn't make your game any more "mature". It didn't help Blood 2 with its bleeped civilians.

Sometimes being within the line is fun. I find it fun to make some GettingCrapPastTheRadar. I always got away with voluminous cleavage, sling bikini armor and graphic still-beating separated hearts easily available in international apt-get repositories, ESPECIALLY Japan's where graphic innard gore is CERO Z worthy.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

leileilol wrote:Sometimes being within the line is fun. I find it fun to make some GettingCrapPastTheRadar. I always got away with voluminous cleavage, sling bikini armor and graphic still-beating separated hearts easily available in international apt-get repositories, ESPECIALLY Japan's where graphic innard gore is CERO Z worthy.
Indeed. With a piece of written work that a friend and I were working on, we decided to re-visit the whole thing and look at the swearing that characters were doing (it was a contemporary fantasy/supernatural story). We decided to remove all but one "fuck" and replace the swears with words that were the kind of thing that would be thought of as quite disgusting/rude/offensive by the character uttering them but, to the reader, the would carry no direct "unacceptable" connotations. As a result, we ended up with what we thought was actually a much deeper and richer world despite massively cutting down on the f-bombs (etc).
Doctor-Dos

Post by Doctor-Dos »

Caleb doesn't say very many bad words... Mainly just the occasional "Bitch".
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Doctor-Dos

Post by Doctor-Dos »

leileilol wrote:Not anymore!
Ummm.... Creepy!
SFJake

Post by SFJake »

I really support this project, however I'm wondering how close you can really get to the real Blood. A lot of things are radically different to what Doom does. Even with ZDoom it'll be quite a challenge. I wonder how close ZDoom can get to enemy behavior, for example. You're also going at it all alone, thats pretty insane. And twice, no less!

So, much luck to you.
Doctor-Dos

Post by Doctor-Dos »

Well I seem to be doing OK so far!

I've been through this before, don't forget! Though this is going to be for GZdoom.
Please remember that absolute accuracy is not my aim! This is going to be a new adventure for Caleb!
It is not my intent to reinvent the wheel, if you want the original Blood then play the original!
I will be posting a few screenies soon.

You are welcome to help if you want!

Return to “General”