There will be BLOOD

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Doctor-Dos

There will be BLOOD

Post by Doctor-Dos »

It has been almost a full year since a hard-drive crash took away my then almost completed Blood TC... :cry:

But time heals everything... I am back... I am gonna rebuild and finish the damn thing once and for all... :twisted:

So, once more, any features you would like to see in a new Blood Adventure?
Enjay

Re: There will be BLOOD

Post by Enjay »

Doctor-Dos wrote:So, once more, any features you would like to see in a new Blood Adventure?
A system where the author of the adventure makes infallible backups of his data? :P

Seriously, it's just good to see that this is moving again.
Doctor-Dos

Post by Doctor-Dos »

Yes, I have since learned Enjay... Thanks for rubbing it in...

If I must say without gloating... This is gonna be one heck of a cool mod...
Doctor-Dos

Post by Doctor-Dos »

This is a horror type mod (obviously) and has some rather horrific stuff therein.

Which begs the question... What level of gore/horror are you comfortable with?
When is it considered "crossing the line" ???
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

For me it would have to be pretty extreme to have crossed the line so, basically, anything within the normal limits of what you might expect in an 18+ game would be fine by me. However, if you start going out and torturing and murdering people then using their skinned corpses as the source material for textures whilst wearing a body-glove made of the freshly removed skin... well, that might be too far. ;)
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Enjay wrote:However, if you start going out and torturing and murdering people then using their skinned corpses as the source material for textures whilst wearing a body-glove made of the freshly removed skin...
Sounds like an average day at Activision.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

:lol:
Doctor-Dos

Post by Doctor-Dos »

NeuralStunner wrote:Sounds like an average day at Activision.
Hmm... I was thinking Gearbox...
Doctor-Dos

Post by Doctor-Dos »

Since we are on the subject about crossing the line... What about nudity?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Personally, I have no problem with nudity that is consistent with the theme and aesthetics of the mod.
Doctor-Dos

Post by Doctor-Dos »

I have been thinking about making it a bit more RPG in nature... (Think Strife)
In other words, decisions made during gameplay will effect the end result.

Any thoughts on this...
Doctor-Dos

Post by Doctor-Dos »

I am also thinking along the lines of a past era (The first blood was 1920's).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4d82YrKNP4M/T ... e+way.jpeg
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Re: Crossing the line

I remember a while back SergeantMkIV stirred up a bit of controversy when he announced some Brutal Doom gore based on photos of real-life dead people, so that can reasonably be expected to be a line there. Respect for family and loved ones left behind and all that.

Personally, it's when the author starts celebrating violence against real people and either

a) it's not intended to be a joke, or
b) it's intended to be a "joke" but it's obvious they're just using that as an excuse to be seriously nasty to people who don't deserve it or can't effectively (including culturally, without being casually, systemically dismissed by the mainstream) fight back.

DN3D crossed that line with the alien rape stuff. (Might have been on this side of the line if the objective was to rescue people but as far as I could tell it was always just "oh look, bewbs ::fap:: ::destroy::"... and the mutilated corpses in the console versions was even worse for the connotations. (None of this, I should stress, has anything to do with nudity.)

Hypothetically a Wolfenstein mod where you played the enemy and there was a bonus level mowing down comical Jewish stereotypes would cross the line in similar but non-sexual ways. Well, let's be fair to DN3D, it wasn't anywhere that bad. More like, you're still Blaskowicz on the side of the not-more-evil guys, but the huge pile of corpses in the concentration camp you stumble into is full of dead people who look like comical Jewish stereotypes and when you hit the Use key B throws money at them to "honour" the dead. And the corpses can be gibbed. And the gib sprites are really hairy in some places and one of the gibs is a big hook nose--okay I'm going to stop right here.

Excessive cruelty to helpless opponents is there as well. (I find that Brutal Doom does not, despite having an explicit "cruelty bonus", do this - either an opponent is an actually useful human shield or your "cruely" is, ironically, putting them out of their misery!) Hypothetical example: Guy drops weapon and surrenders, you burn him to death with flamethrower.

As for mere visual gore, facial/skull/teeth stuff always squicks me the hell out though it's not usually a dealbreaker.

tl;dr who and why are the biggest things, the rest is just meat
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

Whatever it is, it is always a plus when in context.
Some examples are brutal conquerers of the past, old movies, and cultists.

Just make sure to keep the themes consistent. I don't want freaky out stuff going on (none of that cartoon calendar things).
Doctor-Dos

Post by Doctor-Dos »

RV-007 wrote:Whatever it is, it is always a plus when in context.
Some examples are brutal conquerers of the past, old movies, and cultists.
Just make sure to keep the themes consistent. I don't want freaky out stuff going on (none of that cartoon calendar things).
Cartoon Calendars? What is that?

Return to “General”