Pirate Doom! - House of Mojo 06/05/14

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Arch

Re: [WIP GZDoom] Pirate Doom! - 06 maps now

Post by Arch »

Thanks!! I´ll include a readme file later, but aside from basic information there´s a GZDoom video configuration that works very nice with this mod:
options - display options - opengl options - texture options - high quality resize mode - HQ4X or HQ2X

It turns graphics more cartoonish and less pixeled.

And BTW, did anyone played it? I see the downloads but no comments... I´m really curious about this one, gameplay is weird, no problem if you pop in just to say "I didn´t like it". If it breaks the flow of the mod too much, I might include this one as a secret map..
ibm5155

Re: [WIP GZDoom] Pirate Doom! - 06 maps now

Post by ibm5155 »

Great mod ^^

LIKE BUTTON
Arch

Re: [WIP GZDoom] Pirate Doom! - new map "Booty Bay"

Post by Arch »

Well folks, here´s a new map for Pirate Doom!, "Booty Bay", a small town where pirates meet to sell their booty at "Booty Market" and play country music with their banjos. It gives kind of a western feel to the place.

Download here:
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... omv0.7.pk3

Gameplay video:
Spoiler:
Also, I would like to ask if someone could help me with the sword and reload animations, they need more frames, I know it´s not an easy task, but this is something I couldn´t do.
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

That's some badass bluegrass to be dooming to! Will there be mermaids? lol
Arch

Post by Arch »

hehe no mermaids planned, but who knows?
BlueFireZ88
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

This is probably one of the greatest concept mods I've seen in a long time, and it has a serious fun factor to match.

I got a couple of questions for ya, matey (lame pirate reference :P):

1.I noticed textures from a lot of different sources to get the pirate feel: Monkey Island, Rayman 2, Mario 64. What are all the different textures from?
2.How many levels are there going to be overall (12's a good number, but it's your mod, not mine)?
3.Is it me, or do some of the guns give off two gun flashes instead of one?

Other than that, keep up the great work, I've already had a lot of fun with this.
Arch

Post by Arch »

1. There are some textures from Blood, Redneck Rampage, some posters from Voodoo Guns... but the main resource is Rayman 2, thanks to MSPAintR0cks. There is a credit txt inside the PK3 file.
2. I had planned to release first official version with ten maps, but I just got a message from a talented mapper offering help, so this number may change!
3. Yes, the shotguns have a small gun flash followed by a bigger one, and the ligh is flickering.. does it look weird?

And thanks for playing!!
Gez

Post by Gez »

Has there been any news on the pirate cyberdemon front?
Arch

Post by Arch »

Unfortunately not, but I just sent Jabberwock a PM now.. I don´t think he will have the time to do it, but let´s see...
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

I usually play Doom in widescreen, so is it possible to edit the more wide area weapons (like the cutlass) to be extended for widescreen?
Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock »

Wow, it's really great!
Nice to see this project is alive!
I have played only few levels, because I have no time for playing right now.
But those Impsy hats are just wonderful.

I had a quick-and-dirty spritesheet of cyber pirate with eyepatch and striped seaman t-shirt (I know no English word for this kind of dress, may you help me with dictionary?), but can not find it right now and have no time. I think I will finish or redraw it once, but dont know when.

Some creepy-and-too-complex-to-do ideas from my fevered mind:

1. This wad need more authentic and interesting weapons, not XIX century from Outlaws (with all respect to Lucas Arts), but doom-styled XVII.
Cutlass, Rapire, Axe, Throwing knives, Tromblone (as SSG), Musket (as RG), Mitralliese (I know, it's XIIX, but still fine) as CG, big Gun with knippels or ridiculosly big cannon balls like in Serious Sam...
I can draw some guns, it's a lot easier than cyberpirate )
2. It may be nice to make a secret level: Somalia, where doomguy will meet black pirates on the modern ship and get a secret modern weapon like AK or machinegun.
3. May you write "use sword with alt attack" to "use cutlass with alt attack" , for the name of authenticity?
4. You can use as base for some enemies sprites from Fistful of Doom.
5. Every Pinky has an eye-patch? Maybe it makes sense to spawn only PART of them with eye-patches, ~25%?
6. This ancient (2001!) guy can be, for example, a captain on the first level (after editing, e.g. adding hat).
pirate.wad
(198.69 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
7. How about stationary cannons? (1st Use - Load, 2nd Use - Fire), maybe even with fixed direction of fire - still cool.
8. Do you remember the wad "You sunk my battleship!"? How about OMG SHIP FIGHTS?
9. There MUST BE a way to make masts with sails. Maybe with gZdoom beta...
Arch

Post by Arch »

Hey Jabberwock!!

1. That would be very nice, but I´m afraid they all had to be custom made and I lack the talent... if you think you would had the time to draw them all and their animations, then I could replace everything, I know outlaws gun set isnt ideal, but it´s the closest I found... and I searched a lot.
Or you could draw some of them in outlaws style, so I can mix things... ou at least you could help me with the sword, I mean, cutlass sprite animation, I think you should be so much better...
(But yes, I have the cannon sprites :wink: . It´s just too soon for it to appear.)

2. I think this would aproach the mod to a joke wad, that´s not my intetion. Piracy is serious stuff!

3. Done, thanks.

4.I like the idea of turning original monsters into pirates, I´ll stick to it for now. Maybe when I edit them all, I could add custom stuff.

5. Could be done, but then I would have to add something different, a scar, a beard, something to differ from the original demon. Noted down.

6. Same as 4 for now, but I´ll download it hehe

7. Great idea, I´ll try to do this one.

8. Never saw this wad, but I´ll search; Ship battles are planned, yes.

9. Yes there is!
Spoiler:

BlueFireZ88 wrote:I usually play Doom in widescreen, so is it possible to edit the more wide area weapons (like the cutlass) to be extended for widescreen?
I don´t really have the sprites, but I´ll try to edit them. Thanks for letting me know.
Gez

Post by Gez »

A better, subtler easter-egg would be something like a temple to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It'd be like a standard temple/church level, just with a couple unusual textures. (I believe there's even a FSM painting texture in Action Doom II: Urban Brawl).
Arch

Post by Arch »

Hehe I already have the church level, I could only change some textures:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16651

But would still be jokewadish :wink:
BlueFireZ88 wrote:I usually play Doom in widescreen, so is it possible to edit the more wide area weapons (like the cutlass) to be extended for widescreen?
I fixed that, next release of Pirate Doom will be widescreen compatible.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Arch wrote:
I fixed that, next release of Pirate Doom will be widescreen compatible.
Aye, that be a real sight to see for this landlubber. ;)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”