Super Skulltag v1.4, back from the dead with RC6!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ænima

Super Skulltag v1.4, back from the dead with RC6!

Post by Ænima »

(Cross-posted from the Skulltag forums.)
(Requires skulltag_actors.pk3 and skulltag_data.pk3 to run.)

:[by Ænima and ALIENWolve]:
and the SST Team mappers

ImageImage
ImageImage
the SST readme wrote:A mod created for Skulltag, with the intent of making the original Doom2 gameplay FAR MORE addictive and satisfying while keeping most of the original gameplay BALANCE the same. Also, this mod improves Doom2's general æsthetics hundredfold. Overall, this mod was made to really spice up the otherwise "classic" play and feel of Doom2-under-ST and present a new, refreshing style of playing 1993's Doom.
More specifically, some features include:
Spoiler:
Incase you didn't read the list there (or if you're not familiar with SST), I'll restate that in addition to being a game-enhancement mod that can be played with any map pack, Super Skulltag also contains remakes of the Doom2 maps in a new refreshing style. We plan on finishing every single one, and we're about 75% of the way done. Here is a list of the maps that are either done, WIP, or not taken yet:
http://pastebin.com/Wnsq8bYu

Also, a FAQ is "do these replace the doom2 map names?", and the answer is no. They do not. In other words, you can play SST with any other map pack that you want. It doesn't use MAP01-MAP32, it uses SSTMAP01-SSTMAP32.

Anyways, here is a list of requirements and recommendations if you'd like to map for SST:
Spoiler: mapper requirements
Spoiler: map requirements

Here's the original teaser trailer for Super Skulltag:
Spoiler:
(Yes, it's 4 years old. Conmon made it shortly before SST's original release. But I think it still serves its purpose as a trailer rather well, so why bother making a new one? :P)

Here's another video, this is an early test of the rocket death physics. Still needs some refining.
Spoiler:
Aaand yet another video, this one showing how to abuse the spraypaint. ;p
Spoiler:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

SOooooooooo anyways ... The new version, v1.4 is shaping up really well, but it's not quite done yet. Until then, here's the latest public Release Candidate:

Super Skulltag v1.4, RC6:
Mirror #1

SST "Lite"(put this in your Skins folder and you can use it anywhere. But don't host it):
Mirror #1
Mirror #2

SST Deathmatch Add-On (only for pvp gamemodes):
Mirror #1
Mirror #2

ST monster/weapon randomizer (replaces 25% of Doom2 things with ST things):
Mirror #1

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Spoiler: Changelog

Feedback and discussion is much appreciated!

EDIT:
skulltag_actors.pk3
skulltag_data.pk3
sst_v1.4rc6.pk3

You need to load it like this^ in order to play SST.
Last edited by Ænima on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:31 am, edited 13 times in total.
ChronoSeth

Re: Super Skulltag v1.4 - rc2 released!

Post by ChronoSeth »

The excessive use of stealth monsters really bothers me (especially in the case of former humans). They don't make much sense, and add nothing significant to the gameplay. IMO it would be fine if they popped up as a very occasional surprise for the player, but having them as common as they are just makes the maps frustrating and boring.

By the way, is there still a map resource? I notice that you actually still have me down for MAP23. :P
Ral22
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Ral22 »

I'm enjoying this as of right now, it's fun with a bit of a sense of humor. The visor effects are nice, like seeing the reflection in the water. I'll continue to scan it for any sort of bugs or issues.

Also, I agree with ChronoSeth on the stealth monsters. There are just FAR too many of them.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

ChronoSeth wrote:The excessive use of stealth monsters really bothers me (especially in the case of former humans). They don't make much sense, and add nothing significant to the gameplay.
I'd go further than that. Stealth monsters are almost never welcome. Their use almost always detracts, sometimes significantly, from gameplay and only on the rarest of occasions do they contribute positively to a mod. In short, 99.999999% of the time they are utter shit and, IMO, are possibly the worst addition to Doom enabled by sourceports.

Also, I'm worried about a mod that makes Doom gameplay "FAR MORE addictive". I mean, hell, I've been hopelessly addicted to this game for 18 years. Do you want me to stop eating and sleeping because of it or something? :P Seriously, I'm not convinced that "FAR MORE addictive" at least it even achievable in Doom. ;)

[edit] Got the file now and it does seem to be good fun. There are some nice effects in this. What's more, I haven't met a stealth enemy yet. :P [/edit]
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Okay okay, I'll get rid of the stealth monsters. Infact, I don't remember why i added them to begin with. IMO, the only good use was scaring the shit outta players with the stealth revenants that guard the megasphere in Underhalls. :P
ChronoSeth wrote: By the way, is there still a map resource? I notice that you actually still have me down for MAP23. :P
Oh. Well what i do is extract the PK3, and add "maps.wad" as a resource wad when opening the map in Doom Builder 2. All of the textures and ambient sounds are in there.
Enjay wrote: Also, I'm worried about a mod that makes Doom gameplay "FAR MORE addictive". I mean, hell, I've been hopelessly addicted to this game for 18 years. Do you want me to stop eating and sleeping because of it or something? :P Seriously, I'm not convinced that "FAR MORE addictive" at least it even achievable in Doom. ;)
Lol. I wrote that readme years ago. I don't remember why I said that. I think I actually meant it about myself. When Alienwolve and I started this mod, it was mainly a private thing. Its WIP name was "minimod", and we were originally just screwing around with various visual effects and sounds just for fun, editing the wad and sending it back and forth.
Enjay wrote: [edit] Got the file now and it does seem to be good fun. There are some nice effects in this. What's more, I haven't met a stealth enemy yet. :P [/edit]
Thanks. And oh, you will. IIRC, there are 2 steath demons in Underhalls and a few stealth zombiemen. The Gantlet has a room filled with stealth pinkies that all wake up at once and scare the shit outta you. If you guys don't like them, i'll just go ahead and remove them. :3:

Thanks for the feedback.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Overall, it's actually a very fun, somewhat challenging mod. I like the reworked pistol and SSG, much better to use and listen to compared to the vanilla ones. Keep up the good work!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Very nice mod! I'm enjoying the re-done levels as well as the weapons. You really made the pistol a more viable weapon. My only comments would be to smooth out the weapon animations a little more, like the shotguns, and that the pistols has a little bit of a white outline around it. I like the max armor/health pickups, it's cool how they carry between levels too.
doomquake777

Post by doomquake777 »

I found a couple of bugs. 1 If you have a zombie guy or any type shooting at you from too far a distance the projectiles disappear before they hit you. 2 If you are crouching there is no way for a Zombie of any type to hit you because they always shoot straight. even if Smart aim is enabled they still only shoot over your head while your crouching.
Ænima

Re: Super Skulltag v1.4 - rc3 released!

Post by Ænima »

Updated to v1.4rc3!

See first post for link and changelog. 3:
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

Glad to see it survived the downfall of Skulltag :)
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Updated to RC4! Download here!

Major changes include fancier blood (which splatters and oozes down the adjacent walls) and useful new weapon attacks (altfires)!

The shotgun's altfire is a "slam-fire" feature. Like most real shotguns (which have no trigger disconnect), if you hold the trigger down and keep pumping, a round will be fired as soon as the slide moves forward again. This attack allows you to clear rooms quickly while sacrificing accuracy.
Spoiler: example
It will save your life!

The chaingun's altfire is an automatic "chain-tapping" mode. Useful for sniping.

The pistol's altfire is a 3-round-burst. Cliche, but it's useful.

The minigun's altfire keeps the barrels spinning so that you can fire at will.

The weapon animations have also been smoothed out a bit and bullet/shell weapons now cause screen "shake".

Full changelog:
  • rc4:
  • Added Altfires for the pistol, shotgun, SSG, chaingun, and minigun.
  • Improved the blood effects. Thanks to TibSoul and Striker!
  • Fixed a few HudMessage-related bugs.
  • Smoothed out the shotgun and SSG frames. :D
  • Added compatibility for 64 players!
  • Added a new death animation for the imp. Thanks CaptJ3!
  • Fixed zombie bullets clipping through walls.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Fixed for you. By the way, just use the video ID (that jumble of letters and numbers at the end of the URL) for when you're putting this in:

[youtube][/youtube]
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Bahhh. Sorry, my bad. I know how to do it, I just keep forgetting that the formatting here is different than on the Zandronum forums (I usually just crosspost without proofreading cuz i'm lazy). ;p

Thanks though.
Sgt Dopey
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Super Skulltag v1.4 - rc4 released! SLAMFIRE SHOTGUN, MO

Post by Sgt Dopey »

Oh hey I'm still on the mapping list, If I get time I might go back to finishing off unless someone else wants to take it off my hands
doony

Re: Super Skulltag v1.4 - rc4 released! SLAMFIRE SHOTGUN, MO

Post by doony »

: O rocket jump for kill the last boss? awesome!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”