[Release] The Refinery

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tormentor667

[Release] The Refinery

Post by Tormentor667 »

After a development time of almost two years, it is finally done. The Refinery has reopened, relive the classic experience, the fast-paced action with a essence of Doom 3's creepy experience - the best of both sides. So what is it?

A reinterpretation or remake of Doom's original E2M3, heavily inspired by KDiZD. The whole map has been enlarged, restructured, new areas have been added, old ones enhanced and the whole thing has been turned into something more real and creepy. Expect something totally different in a place that you already know to a very good extend.

Download the pk3 right now, get your doom.wad warmed up (not Doom 2 compatible) and start off your GZDoom for a experience that pushes the GZDoom engine to its limits!

Please read the text file for further credits, information and stuff that needs to be read! By the way, playing it twice in a row reveals some secrets and differences for those who love more action and harder difficuly, you will also get a reward for playing it twice ;)
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nightfall

Re: [Release] The Refinery

Post by Nightfall »

those textures look awfully like tsozd to me
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Oh very nice. Very nice indeed. Top quality stuff here. :yup:
printz

Post by printz »

Nightfall wrote:those textures look awfully like tsozd to me
Well, that might be because Tormentor667 used to be there but decided to leave, but didn't want to waste his map.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Nightfall wrote:those textures look awfully like tsozd to me
Nothing in there is original TSoZD work, but got inspired and based on textures and architecture from this project. In consultion with all the former members who are responsible for textures (like essel, Vader and Nightmare) I made sure that nothing got "stolen" or "leaked" from the project. Though, as I said, most of the texture base and idea is from TSoZD, that's why I credited all of them as well.
mckracken

Post by mckracken »

very impressive architechture.
among the best ive seen.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Isn't Saturday sort of a bad day to post your project releases? Not many people are online on Saturdays. I would've posted it on Tuesday or something. I dunno, maybe it's just me.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

So... is this E1M3 (Toxin Refinery), or E2M3 (Refinery)?

@Zombieguy: AFAIK, most people here also have work on weekdays, so they wouldn't be able to play it anyway.
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

ChronoSeth wrote:So... is this E1M3 (Toxin Refinery), or E2M3 (Refinery)?
Tormentor667 wrote: So what is it?
A reinterpretation or remake of Doom's original E1M3, heavily inspired by KDiZD.
hurrr
I could say something witty about read the effin' OP, but never mind. But off from off topic

By judging screenies, looks smexy.
And almost 27 mbits? Whoa, there's some heavy work on this.

.:edit:.
Okay. I managed to get a quick look, and looks pretty good. And cripes how I hate those wraiths!
Small note: The door(entrance) behind you when you start is missing textures. =P
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

CorSair wrote:I could say something witty about read the effin' OP, but never mind. But off from off topic
In-game, the map label is Z2M3, and the screenshots look more like E2M3 anyway. :P
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

Woops. What map label says... Sorry on my part. :oops: (Like I EVER use automap.)

And I got load of errors in my console, saying mostly that it's missing texture on sector or line, nothing big if they're outside of arena.
Only two textures are missing, currently nukeslad and tekwallz, to be specific.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

CorSair wrote:Only two textures are missing, currently nukeslad and tekwallz, to be specific.
Something tells me you're using Doom 2's IWAD instead of Doom 1.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It's an easy mistake. Torm didn't mention anything in his post.
owait
Tormentor667 wrote:get your doom.wad warmed up (not Doom 2 compatible)
;)
Gez

Post by Gez »

There's even a GAMEINFO lump that will automatically tell ZDoom to load doom.wad.
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

Some gripes.. the thing has no skill levels, the ASG and repeater zombies are god damn overpowered as hell (the repeater guy took me 50 health in less than a second at what wasn't even point-blank!). I kept spamming `resurrect` over and over and over again, only to be killed right off the bat without a chance to fight back.

I had to use software for this because in opengl the framerate just went below zero. I had to rid the fog actor sprites too which thankfully added a lot of framerate back so it was actually playable. (also dynamic lights were replaced with exclamation marks but that's zdoom's fault) I think the shotgun should've been given at the start, I had to fight the wraiths with the pistol only (luckily autoloads came to the rescue and got me my semi-auto pistol) and there was definitely not enough health to compensate the overpowered zombies.. and this was 3 minutes in. Didn't continue afterwards.

BTW PalPlus makes everything brown and dull, using something like simplicity's palette added the colors back and made it look much better. Also I noticed some texture edits of mine that you didn't credit for (dmetal*, the burn effect in sign99, might be others)

EDIT: went on another run.. quad-shotgun zombie? really? I do like that hologram thingy at the southern room though. Needs more shells.

Return to “Levels”