ZD3K: The Conspiracy?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
samtam90

ZD3K: The Conspiracy?

Post by samtam90 »

Has this wad ever been finished? Looks like the last update on the author's page goes back to April 2006 with the words "IT'S COMING"... Also, the feature list looked quite impressive (such as choices with appropriate consequences on later levels)
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: ZD3K: The Conspiracy?

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Wow. Think I remember that mod for quite a while ago. I was eagerly awaiting it.

By the way. One of it's sites (One that particularily involved a circling planet..) had a song in it. Anyone remember what it was?
Macil
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Macil »

Ha I remember that, and it even was supposed to have an edited form of the zdoom port that allowed strife-type conversations in doom mods before that was put in standard.
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

Sorry for resurecting this old post... but i find it proper for the news.

Its been awhile i have not shown myself, i am happy to see alot of old friends are still alive here.
I have some good news, status and what happened for all these years. I have posted the same on my own personal site today. I am happy to see how big ZDoom is coming now, Randy you made an awesome and marvelous work.
Before going throught, yes i have worked on my english since these years :)

So here is what happened.

6 years later, recovering some lost data from my old game based on Doom2.

Several years ago I created a Doom2 game with the ZDoom engine. The game was almost ready (say 90% complete) I had the great misfortune to infect my computer with some nasty virus from the college. Unfortunately the data has been erased and lost. I had a backup on CD-ROM but which dated from a very long time. I tried to start developing the game after a few weeks but the motivation was not there.

With my current job and knowledge, since a good week I finally picked a good bulk of data that have been lost 7 years before. Most files are there, some files are corrupted, but I'll deal with it. Images (sprites and texture) are all intact, maps and scripts are partial and corrupt.

With the latest version of ZDoom 2.6.1 I no longer really worry for my ZXDoom engine which was made from ZDoom source code. Current ZDoom have all I created or simulated on a much earlier version of 1.98. With the DECORATE lump it is fantastic and with the 3D floor it's amazing... my 3D floor attempt did not work very well and the game crashed after a while time. The only feature missing in ZDoom is the one I created for the animated character in the game Thing_SetState(tid, State). The creator of ZDoom, Randy Heit, has created a similar function that does not seem to do what I need, I need to recreate it again with ZDoom 2.6.1... unless Randy want to implement it on his futur engine.

I think to recreate the game map will be easier now, as I used WadAuthor map editor, now I use Doom Builder 2 it gives me to see quickly everything I create in real time instead of always running the game and check if everything is aligned properly, etc. ...

So my game was put on hold for about 7 years, it will be able to see daylight.

I will have to make a folder link on my site for the game development.

So heres a look at my desk.
Click the image to enlarge it, warning its a 1920x1080 resolution.

A look to what is left in the maps folder after the recorery... its ugly as hell, missing 85 maps and 72 acs scripts, and few corrupted files of 1-10 kb.
Click the image to enlarge it, warning its a 1920x1080 resolution.

I will have some work to do.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

X-DOOM wrote:The only feature missing in ZDoom is the one I created for the animated character in the game Thing_SetState(tid, State). The creator of ZDoom, Randy Heit, has created a similar function that does not seem to do what I need, I need to recreate it again with ZDoom 2.6.1... unless Randy want to implement it on his futur engine.
What does it do that [wiki]SetActorState[/wiki] does not?
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

Blzut3 wrote:
X-DOOM wrote:The only feature missing in ZDoom is the one I created for the animated character in the game Thing_SetState(tid, State). The creator of ZDoom, Randy Heit, has created a similar function that does not seem to do what I need, I need to recreate it again with ZDoom 2.6.1... unless Randy want to implement it on his futur engine.
What does it do that [wiki]SetActorState[/wiki] does not?
I have no idea what does SetActorState really, i have been trying to get it work on my decorate units, but they just stand there on their spawn state doing nothing.
I tried this.
SetActorState(221, "Orditape", true); //nothing works
SetActorState(221, "Orditape", false); //nothing works
SetActorState(221, "Orditape"); //nothing works
SetActorState(221, "OrditapeState", true); //nothing works
SetActorState(221, "OrditapeState", false); //nothing works
SetActorState(221, "OrditapeState"); //nothing works

What mine does is swap for exemple the Spawn state to Talk state for doing cut-scene

Stand/Spawn State

Give a keycard and then check each side, then return to Stand/Spawn.

Code: Select all

zd3k.pk3/Decorate/Npc_EDFB.txt
//===========================================================================
//
// Human Marine EDF B	HR12 GUN
//
//===========================================================================
ACTOR NPC_EDFB 7213
{
	SpawnID 165
	Obituary "%o was killed by a EDFB."
	Health 100
	Radius 20
	Height 56
	Mass 100
	Speed 8
	PainChance 200
	SeeSound "edfbmarines/sight"
	AttackSound "edfbmarines/attack"
	PainSound "edfbmarines/pain"
	DeathSound "edfbmarines/death"
	ActiveSound "edfbmarines/active"
	DropItem "Shell"
	Monster
	+FLOORCLIP
	States
	{
		Stand:
			EDFB V 10 A_Look
			loop
		Spawn:
			EDFB A 10 A_Look
			EDFB B 10 A_Look
			Loop
		See:
			EDFB A 3 A_Chase
			EDFB A 3 A_Chase
			EDFB B 3 A_Chase
			EDFB B 3 A_Chase
			EDFB C 3 A_Chase
			EDFB C 3 A_Chase
			EDFB D 3 A_Chase
			EDFB D 3 A_Chase
			Loop
		Missile:
			EDFB E 10 A_FaceTarget
			EDFB F 10 BRIGHT A_SposAttackUseAtkSound
			EDFB E 10
			Goto See
		Pain:
			EDFB G 3
			EDFB G 3 A_Pain
			Goto See
		Death:
			EDFB H 5
			EDFB I 5 A_Scream
			EDFB J 5 A_NoBlocking
			EDFB K 5
			EDFB L -1
			Stop
		XDeath:
			EDFB M 5
			EDFB N 5 A_XScream
			EDFB O 5 A_NoBlocking
			EDFB P 5
			EDFB Q 5
			EDFB R 5
			EDFB S 5
			EDFB T 5
			EDFB U -1
			Stop
		Raise:
			EDFB L 5
			EDFB K 5
			EDFB J 5
			EDFB I 5
			EDFB H 5
			Goto See
		Pain.Fire:
			EDFA G 3
			EDFA G 3 A_Pain
			goto See
		Pain.Disp:
			EDFA G 3
			EDFA G 3 A_Pain
			goto See
		Death.Fire:
			BURN A 8
			BURN B 8
			BURN C 8
			BURN D 8 A_Scream
			BURN E 8
			BURN F 8
			BURN G 8
			BURN H 8
			BURN I 8
			BURN J 8
			BURN K 8
			BURN L 8
			BURN M 8
			BURN N 8
			BURN O 8
			BURN P 8
			BURN Q 8 A_NoBlocking
			BURN R 8
			BURN S 8
			BURN T 8
			BURN U 8
			BURN V -1
		Death.Disp:
			EDF2 A 8
			EDF2 B 8 A_Scream
			EDF2 C 8
			EDF2 D 8
			EDF2 E 8
			VIDE A -1 A_NoBlocking
		Talk:
			EDFB W 10
			EDFB W 10
			Loop
		Givecard:
			EDFB W 10
			EDFB X 10
			EDFB Z 10
			EDB1 A 10
			EDB1 B 10
			EDB1 C 10
			EDFB Z 10
			EDFB X 10
			EDFB W -1
			Stop
		Release:
			EDFB W 10
			EDFB X -1
			Stop
		Unrelease:
			EDFB Y 10
			EDFB X 10
			EDFB W 10
			Goto Talk
		Orditape:
			EDFB Y 10
			EDFB Z 10
			EDB3 A 10
			EDFB Z 10
			EDB3 A 10
			Loop
		Headturn:
			EDFB W 10
			EDF1 D 10
			EDF1 E 10
			EDFB W 10
			Goto Talk
	}
}
FDARI

Post by FDARI »

SetActorState is not an [wiki=Action_specials]action special[/wiki] but an [wiki=Built-in_ACS_functions]ACS function[/wiki]. ACS functions cannot be called from decorate, but you can solve this.

There are action specials for running ACS scripts, so you can run ACS scripts from decorate. You need an ACS [wiki]library[/wiki] to contain the script.

Strings cannot pass from decorate to ACS, so you will need to specify the state name inside the script.

Using [wiki]named scripts[/wiki] can help you keep the code easily managed and compatible with mods (whether people use your script to mod another game, or another mod on your game).

Basic setactorstate script:

script "setstate:running" (void) { SetActorState(0, "running"); }
The easiest way to work with many states is to have many scripts like the above. If you want many states in a single script you need ACS to pick a string based on a number passed from decorate. That requires more management.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

X-DOOM wrote:SetActorState(221, "Orditape"); //nothing works
I would think this should work for what you want to do. If you provide a minimal example wad we should be able to figure why it isn't working for you.
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

Blzut3 wrote:
I would think this should work for what you want to do. If you provide a minimal example wad we should be able to figure why it isn't working for you.
Sure, i will try to isolate the decorate file, the test map file and all my def/special acs file. I will also add my modified zdoom with both test map.
Nash

Post by Nash »

... HOLY CRAP IT'S X-DOOM!!! what's with all these oldtimers returning out of nowhere!!!

X-Doom, you should consider writing code patches and submit them to the Code Submission forum.

Also check out GZDoomBuilder, a fork of DB2 with extended ZDoom-specific editing features.
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

Whoa, thats amazing. glad to see you are still around X-Doom
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Welcome back man :)
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

Blzut3 wrote:
There i ziped all the sprites and the decorate file of my npc that have these special states not working with SetActorState, but does work with my Thing_SetState function.

there are 2 maps file.
- SetActorState_zdoom.wad is for ZDoom (SetActorState function)
- SetActorState_zxdoom.wad is for ZXDoom (Thing_SetState function)

zspecial.acs normal file for ZDoom
zspecial2.acs adapted for ZXDoom with this line 147:Thing_SetState(2),

I have included the modified ZDoom port, ZXDoom, it does share the same zdoom.ini file, it does not modify it or alter it. He is only built for my Thing_SetState function.

Download here: http://www.jeffthibault.com/doom/zd3k/t ... te_bug.zip 1639kb
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

FDARI wrote:SetActorState is not an [wiki=Action_specials]action special[/wiki] but an [wiki=Built-in_ACS_functions]ACS function[/wiki]. ACS functions cannot be called from decorate, but you can solve this.

There are action specials for running ACS scripts, so you can run ACS scripts from decorate. You need an ACS [wiki]library[/wiki] to contain the script.

Strings cannot pass from decorate to ACS, so you will need to specify the state name inside the script.

Using [wiki]named scripts[/wiki] can help you keep the code easily managed and compatible with mods (whether people use your script to mod another game, or another mod on your game).

Basic setactorstate script:

script "setstate:running" (void) { SetActorState(0, "running"); }
The easiest way to work with many states is to have many scripts like the above. If you want many states in a single script you need ACS to pick a string based on a number passed from decorate. That requires more management.
Oh man, these things was not made up when i quit 6 years ago... there is tons of new stuff to learn... back to Doom school :?
Gez

Post by Gez »

X-DOOM wrote:Oh man, these things was not made up when i quit 6 years ago... there is tons of new stuff to learn... back to Doom school :?
A good place to start would be to look at the [wiki]version history[/wiki] to get an overview of everything new since 2006 (or earlier).

Return to “General”