.MD3 Modeling for (G)ZDoom.

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Lysander

.MD3 Modeling for (G)ZDoom.

Post by Lysander »

I'm currently working on a project in GZDoom, but there's one thing I'm unsure about. I'm debating whether to use .MD3's as opposed to sprites.

What I want to know is, what's the best modeling program (free or commercial) for this? I'm aware of certain programs (Blender, 3DSMax, Maya, etc.), but I understand that there's a polygonal concern with models... I don't want to go overboard, ya know, and I don't want to just use any old software, export it, and later learn that it has too many polygons!

Ick, I think I'm just confusing myself. Anyone have any general insight into this?
MaxED

Re: .MD3 Modeling for (G)ZDoom.

Post by MaxED »

Usually I'm using Luxology Modo 601 to model and Misfit Model 3D to export to MD3 format. If you are good with Blender 2.5 or 2.6, you can use my modified version of MD3 exporter.

MD3 model can hold no more than 8192 triangles, 4096 vertices and can have only one UV-map. Most modeling software will show you how many polygons and vertices you'r model has, so I don't think that'll be a problem. And if you exceed that, you can split you'r model into several models, then assemble them using MODLEDEF.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

MaxED wrote:Usually I'm using Luxology Modo 601 to model and Misfit Model 3D to export to MD3 format. If you are good with Blender 2.5 or 2.6, you can use my modified version of MD3 exporter.

MD3 model can hold no more than 8192 triangles, 4096 vertices and can have only one UV-map. Most modeling software will show you how many polygons and vertices you'r model has, so I don't think that'll be a problem. And if you exceed that, you can split you'r model into several models, then assemble them using MODLEDEF.
I see. Thanks very much. Do you have any examples of your work, just out of interest?
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Err... this :)

Other than that, there was never finished and never released model pack for GZDoom:
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Good god, man. Does that all run at a consistent 60 frames?

To tell you the truth, a couple of years ago I gave modeling an honest crack and I just gave up. Do you know of any good tutorials I could use to help me get off the ground?
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Lysander wrote:Good god, man. Does that all run at a consistent 60 frames?
Yes, was running fine on my old PC (Core 2 Duo @ 2.13 Ghz, GeForce 8600 GTS, 2GB RAM)
Lysander wrote:To tell you the truth, a couple of years ago I gave modeling an honest crack and I just gave up. Do you know of any good tutorials I could use to help me get off the ground?
Depends on what modeling tool you are going to use... All models you see on the screenshots above were modeled and painted in Modo 501. Took 2-3 hours per model. Tere are lots of good free modo video tutorials at Luxology.TV, and there are even better Professional Training Series there.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Hey, those models surely look delicious! Good job!!!

Tell me - where or how is it possible to give properties to a model? For example, if it's an enemy, where to set its attacking, wounded or death properties, or in case of a forest tree, where to set to make it "climbable"? I'll also tend to use some models, so this might be useful to know.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

What you need is DECORATE. In GZDoom, models are just overrides for existing sprites.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Perfect! Thank you for the reply, now I'm not confused about models.

I do have one remaining question though: Which is the maximum size for a monster model? This is important, as I would like to create the Quargant for the "Lost in da mist" level. The Impossibly Tall Creature is no doubt too big, but the Quargant would be fine.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Can be any size you want, I suppose (you can change model scale in MODELDEF, among other things)

Reactor

Post by Reactor »

One word - WHOA!!! This is HUGE!!!

I know nothing about modelling, but I suppose I'll need two or three for monsters which are too big, or certain terrain objects, like trees and debris. Thank you for the answers :)
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Um MaxED. You seem to know a lot of stuff 'bout modelling.

My question is how do you add attack and death frames if you create a monster model? I know nothing about modelling - I'm a sprite artist, yet, there is a monster which'd fit perfectly on the level "Lost in da Mist", the name is Laphodorm. (this creature is a creation of mine, it does not appear in the film or in the novel). I would like to know how this is done, before I'd ask someone to create a model out of it).
Attachments
Side view of the Laphodorm mist monster
Side view of the Laphodorm mist monster
Nash

Post by Nash »

You remap the animation frames of the MD3 to a sprite name.

frame 0 -> LAPHA1
frame 1 -> LAPHB1

etc

Better and clearer examples by clicking [wiki]MODELDEF[/wiki]

Of course the actual sprite lumps can be anything, they don't have to contain useful graphics (though software renderer users will see blank actors). You can use this dummy sprite template Gez helped me generate for lots of dummy frames, should be plenty enough for smoothly animated models. Copy and paste into your TEXTURES lump.

EDIT: I just re-read your question. Seems like you have no experience in modeling. I suggest you pick your modeling package of choice and stick with one. I would suggest 3ds Max. You can download it for free and legally too if you're a student. 3ds Max is widely supported and there are literally thousands of tutorials available online, on Youtube, etc. Even the built-in tutorial movies are a great help, and the help files also cover a lot on low poly modeling.

I'm probably going to get a lot of fire for this, but I'd suggest skipping things like Blender and stuff. 3ds Max is the industry standard anyway and you can get jobs easier IF you decide to go that route, cuz most studios favour those well-versed in 3ds Max. So why bother learning something redundant, it's better to start on the right track right away.

As for actual animation, here's a generic answer: model with good topology and edge flow, model in quads, keep your triangle count in check because the MD3 format has limits. Mastery of this takes time...
Attachments
textures.txt
(119.6 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Nash wrote:So why bother learning something redundant, it's better to start on the right track right away.
Hmmm...

Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Hmm very well, if it really worths the time...thanks for the advice.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”