Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Kyle873

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [v0.61]

Post by Kyle873 »

-Ghost- wrote:That should help balance things a lot, rather than everything going up.
Agreed. I also want you to have as much control of your character as possible, so I decided a stat-based system was best for this. Of course, there's no way you'll max every stat without hours upon hours of grinding to get stat points. You'll start with 10, get a few per level, and the occasional token will drop too. I also changed the XP curve so that the level and rank progression is a little smoother now. However, reaching the higher levels will be quite the feat, as level 100 will take upwards of 10 million XP to reach.
Iniquitatis
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Iniquitatis »

Kyle873 wrote:Here's what I've been working on most of the day :D

You just read my mind... I just wanted to suggest it! :shock:
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Iniquitatis wrote:
Kyle873 wrote:Here's what I've been working on most of the day :D

You just read my mind... I just wanted to suggest it! :shock:
Yeah, I was going to do this sooner or later, I just needed a bit of time to think up the code in my head first.

A few quick notes about it so far. You begin the game with 10 stat tokens to assign as you wish. Each level you'll recieve 1-5 tokens, and occasionally they will drop from enemies and as randomized spawns. Dropped tokens will make a humming sound to indicate that they have dropped and that you might want to go find them :P. Each stat can only be increased up to 100 using tokens, but may go past this up to 200 with accessory items I plan to add later down the road. each stat's 100 cap is fairly OP (2x damage, 50% damage taken, etc),, but this was done intentionally as if you take the time to bring a stat up to 100, you deserve the benefits it gives you. Later on I'll also add skill tokens and the ability to unlock skills with them.

And if anybody was wondering, I haven't gotten around to implementing it yet, but the Survival Bonus is basically the chance you will survive a fatal hit, or one that would otherwise kill you. If you do survive, it will be with 1 health, so you might not want to get hit again, and if you DO get hit, and survive that one too, well, good on you. :P
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Survival Bonus is now in, and saving your ass from that potentially fatal hit.

edit:
Blah, didn't mean to double post. I really should sleep soon.
Iniquitatis

Post by Iniquitatis »

Whether it is possible to enter possibility of automatic (random) of distribution of parameters (as in versions to 0.61) not to interrupt a fast-paced gameplay?

By the way, you are the excellent programmer, the pure and qualitative code looks simply remarkably. :3:
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Iniquitatis wrote:Whether it is possible to enter possibility of automatic (random) of distribution of parameters (as in versions to 0.61) not to interrupt a fast-paced gameplay?

By the way, you are the excellent programmer, the pure and qualitative code looks simply remarkably. :3:
Thanks :D. I've made my best effort to keep my code separated and clean. I can tell you right now there were a few things that took longer then they should of because I refused to implement hacky solutions or crazy spaghetti code.

edit:
Now you can randomly assign all your remaining stat points in the menu (That is what you were requesting, right?)
Iniquitatis

Post by Iniquitatis »

Kyle873 wrote: Thanks :D. I've made my best effort to keep my code separated and clean. I can tell you right now there were a few things that took longer then they should of because I refused to implement hacky solutions or crazy spaghetti code.
Yeeeah, it is very familiar to me. :D
Kyle873 wrote: Now you can randomly assign all your remaining stat points in the menu (That is what you were requesting, right?)
Well, almost that... After all in present versions it is not necessary to come into the menu to distribute parameters (certainly, they aren't present because they are just abstract) that doesn't interrupt game for their distribution.

I am sorry, if I am difficult for understanding, I use the translator. :oops:
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Iniquitatis wrote:
Kyle873 wrote: Thanks :D. I've made my best effort to keep my code separated and clean. I can tell you right now there were a few things that took longer then they should of because I refused to implement hacky solutions or crazy spaghetti code.
Yeeeah, it is very familiar to me. :D
Kyle873 wrote: Now you can randomly assign all your remaining stat points in the menu (That is what you were requesting, right?)
Well, almost that... After all in present versions it is not necessary to come into the menu to distribute parameters (certainly, they aren't present because they are just abstract) that doesn't interrupt game for their distribution.

I am sorry, if I am difficult for understanding, I use the translator. :oops:
Aah I see, you mean you want an option to place stats automatically without ever touching the menu to do so. That should be simple enough, I'll create a new Doom RPG configuration menu with MENUDEF and throw that option in there.

edit:
Done. New options menu is now in and the option is there to select which levelling option you'd like.
Kyle873

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [v0.7]

Post by Kyle873 »

Alright, v0.7 is out. Lots of additions and a few minor changes, but the stat system is the big one.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Balance feels much better with the stat allocation. Have you considered adding new monsters/weapons down the line? Maybe boss enemies and "loot"?
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

-Ghost- wrote:Balance feels much better with the stat allocation. Have you considered adding new monsters/weapons down the line? Maybe boss enemies and "loot"?
I have, but that could break PWAD compatibility pretty badly for those that add different weapons and enemies. I might think about doing it later, but for now I'm going to stick with vanilla doom stuff.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Also I noticed a typo when I was given credits, it said "Tou have been given 200 credits" instead of "You" :P
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

-Ghost- wrote:Also I noticed a typo when I was given credits, it said "Tou have been given 200 credits" instead of "You" :P
-___- Dem typos. This is what I get for coding at 4am in the morning haha.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I also think that the manual stat thing may not be sticking. Do I need to set it every new map? I noticed that unless I make sure to set it I end up auto leveling.

EDIT: It may not be carrying over between deaths, not sure.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

-Ghost- wrote:I also think that the manual stat thing may not be sticking. Do I need to set it every new map? I noticed that unless I make sure to set it I end up auto leveling.

EDIT: It may not be carrying over between deaths, not sure.
Damn you're right, my options array isn't set as global. Fixed that.

edit:
I just learned that you can actually create custom CVARs. Going to redo the options.

double edit:
Done. Although there is a small caveat to the new setup.
Due to limitations, when first running you may need to restore your options to default then exit and reload ZDoom. This is because there is no way to Initialize CVARs on game load. IF there's a way around this, I haven't found it yet.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”