Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Kyle873

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [v0.53]

Post by Kyle873 »

I might need to revise the combo bonuses a little too, they might get pretty insane once you get to higher levels.
Big C

Post by Big C »

I think this mod is insanely overpowered at some point. I'm playing on Normal and only a few maps in I'm one-shotting archviles with the SSG.

This is without Runes, by the way.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Big C wrote:I think this mod is insanely overpowered at some point. I'm playing on Normal and only a few maps in I'm one-shotting archviles with the SSG.

Yeah, I'm getting a lot of that, I'm gonna nerf the damage increase on level by a LOT I think.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Kyle873 wrote:
Big C wrote:I think this mod is insanely overpowered at some point. I'm playing on Normal and only a few maps in I'm one-shotting archviles with the SSG.

Yeah, I'm getting a lot of that, I'm gonna nerf the damage increase on level by a LOT I think.
edit:
Done. You will now reach 2x normal damage instead of 10x (dafuq was I thinking) at max level.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

well, that was fun. super easy, but fun.

i currently have 0.51 downloaded (too lazy to update until some more major changes) so idk if it's any different in 0.53, but...
it seems you gain +10% damage every level. so by the time you hit level 100 you are doing 10 times as much damage. that is WAY TOO MUCH. personally i would nerf it down to +2% per level AT MOST. then it's "only" triple damage by level 100. (no matter how much you nerf it, you're going to end up overpowered by the time you hit maximum level. it's just a matter of trying to keep it "reasonably" overpowered instead of completely broken, e.g. not killing cyberdemons with 6 shells when you can carry 500 of them.)

also once you hit a certain amount of maximum energy, your EP regeneration is fast enough that you can literally stay invulnerable forever. of course, by that time you don't even really need it since you'll have a ton of health, basically infinite ammo, extreme damage, and probably a massive stockpile of medkits and armor, so you're already basically unstoppable anyway. maybe replace the invulnerability skill with "half damage" or something instead.
also chainsaw marines are way overpriced. they're effectively chaingun marines with less range, why are they MORE expensive?

credits are kind of useless (except for getting weapons earlier than normal but doom 2 gives you everything in the first few maps anyway- you can have a full arsenal by map08)
maybe they could be used not just for purchasing items but also unlocking skills and upgrades? like, start off with just the "lesser healing", "fireball", "shop", and "unarmed marine" skills (for example) and have to buy the rest. this would also be a good opportunity to add some more varied abilities, particularly in the projectiles category.
alternately, have a few weapons and items that can only be obtained through the shop.

speaking of credits, once your rank discount gets high enough you can actually generate credits by buying armor and then breaking it down for more credits than it cost. this is not actually very gamebreaking since by the time you get a high enough discount you'll likely have a ton of credits that you don't have anything to spend on anyway, and it's still really slow since you have to pay 50 EP for each broken armor and another 50 EP for each shop visit. i would recommend lowering the discount so that max rank means you have a 50% discount instead of 95%.

honestly, the real problem is that doomguy is already way overpowered by default. if you were to start out slightly weaker than normal and not gain as much from each level (or have less levels), it would be more fair. it can hard to balance "fair" with "fun", though, so don't go too crazy with the balancing. :P

this is a great effort so far, though. just needs some fine-tuning and more content (not TOO much more content; feature creep can derail a project surprisingly fast)
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Ethril wrote:well, that was fun. super easy, but fun.

i currently have 0.51 downloaded (too lazy to update until some more major changes) so idk if it's any different in 0.53, but...
it seems you gain +10% damage every level. so by the time you hit level 100 you are doing 10 times as much damage. that is WAY TOO MUCH. personally i would nerf it down to +2% per level AT MOST. then it's "only" triple damage by level 100. (no matter how much you nerf it, you're going to end up overpowered by the time you hit maximum level. it's just a matter of trying to keep it "reasonably" overpowered instead of completely broken, e.g. not killing cyberdemons with 6 shells when you can carry 500 of them.)

also once you hit a certain amount of maximum energy, your EP regeneration is fast enough that you can literally stay invulnerable forever. of course, by that time you don't even really need it since you'll have a ton of health, basically infinite ammo, extreme damage, and probably a massive stockpile of medkits and armor, so you're already basically unstoppable anyway. maybe replace the invulnerability skill with "half damage" or something instead.
also chainsaw marines are way overpriced. they're effectively chaingun marines with less range, why are they MORE expensive?

credits are kind of useless (except for getting weapons earlier than normal but doom 2 gives you everything in the first few maps anyway- you can have a full arsenal by map08)
maybe they could be used not just for purchasing items but also unlocking skills and upgrades? like, start off with just the "lesser healing", "fireball", "shop", and "unarmed marine" skills (for example) and have to buy the rest. this would also be a good opportunity to add some more varied abilities, particularly in the projectiles category.
alternately, have a few weapons and items that can only be obtained through the shop.

speaking of credits, once your rank discount gets high enough you can actually generate credits by buying armor and then breaking it down for more credits than it cost. this is not actually very gamebreaking since by the time you get a high enough discount you'll likely have a ton of credits that you don't have anything to spend on anyway, and it's still really slow since you have to pay 50 EP for each broken armor and another 50 EP for each shop visit. i would recommend lowering the discount so that max rank means you have a 50% discount instead of 95%.

honestly, the real problem is that doomguy is already way overpowered by default. if you were to start out slightly weaker than normal and not gain as much from each level (or have less levels), it would be more fair. it can hard to balance "fair" with "fun", though, so don't go too crazy with the balancing. :P

this is a great effort so far, though. just needs some fine-tuning and more content (not TOO much more content; feature creep can derail a project surprisingly fast)
Very constructive, I like this :D

I SIGNIFICANTLY nerfed the damage increase per level, now you'll only reach 2x damage at max level instead of the rediculous 10x (I was probably drunk or something XD)

I've nerfed the HP/EP regen rate increaes per level now to about a quarter of what they were before, as I was starting to see myself too that it was getting rediculous. I had a good laugh at the fact I could heal faster than damage floors could even hurt me :P.

DAMN GOOD IDEA with being able to purchase skills, I defiantely need to look into that idea. I was never planning on you starting with all skills, I just couldn't decide whether I wanted to give the skills at specific levels or some other way, but buying them is actually a good idea.

I might honestly take a cue from Serpent Resurrection, and make Doomguy slightly weaker to start, so that you aren't as overpowered to begin with.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Kyle873 wrote:I might honestly take a cue from Serpent Resurrection, and make Doomguy slightly weaker to start, so that you aren't as overpowered to begin with.
Inheritance did that too.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

amv2k9 wrote:
Kyle873 wrote:I might honestly take a cue from Serpent Resurrection, and make Doomguy slightly weaker to start, so that you aren't as overpowered to begin with.
Inheritance did that too.
Already done. testing atm with 3/4th's vanilla DamageFactor.

edit:
I also just added movement speed and jump height bumps to the levelling. You can move a little bit faster now once you start getting higher levels. Also, by level 100, your jump height will have doubled.

I also just realized I'm a complete tard and having 100 items handle each level's DamageFactor is stupid, so I replaced it with an ACS formula instead. Can't believe I didn't think of doing that sooner -_-.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Also doing a new HUD, which can either be used or you can keep the old one. Not quite finished yet, but Opinions? I got the impression some people didn't like the old HUD because of it's intrusiveness or clutteryness, so I made a bit of an attempt to "compact" this one.

I also gave the ranks real names that match the actual enlisted Military titles, so now you can go from Private all the way up to Seargent Major of the Marine Corps. :P

edit:
Updated. Now I'm finally going to sleep. :P
-Ghost-

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [v0.6]

Post by -Ghost- »

It might help to cap the items you can carry as well. You end up with way too many armors/medkits, etc over the course of a playthrough. Armor drops also seem a bit too common, I almost always get at least 1 white armor per decent sized group of enemies (5-15 monsters).
Kyle873

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [v0.6]

Post by Kyle873 »

-Ghost- wrote:It might help to cap the items you can carry as well. You end up with way too many armors/medkits, etc over the course of a playthrough. Armor drops also seem a bit too common, I almost always get at least 1 white armor per decent sized group of enemies (5-15 monsters).
Done in v0.61, limit is now 25. Might get a bit more specific for each item type later. Still deciding what to do about the armor drops. Damn ZDoom's limited drop system. I'd seriously prefer not to create a bunch of dummy actors just to get lower drop rates.
Iniquitatis
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [v0.61]

Post by Iniquitatis »

Oh, the new interface is much better than the old.

EDIT: What? Is already 0.61? I just started playing with 0.6. :P
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Iniquitatis wrote:Oh, the new interface is much better than the old.

EDIT: What? Is already 0.61? I just started playing with 0.6. :P
You're welcome :D. It's not a huge update, but the saved skill category positions are pretty damn useful, surprised I didn't think of adding it earlier.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Here's what I've been working on most of the day :D

-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

That should help balance things a lot, rather than everything going up.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”