Samsara - No longer under active development.

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
TerminusEst13

Re: Samsara (Concept build) - v0.15

Post by TerminusEst13 »

i've played this for the past few days, and i've been really enjoying the concept of this.
Thank you very much, I'm glad you enjoy it. I'll try to keep improving it and making it even better.
2. the "grin" face that's displayed when you pick up a weapon doesn't display correctly. most of the time nothing is shown when you pick up a new weapon.
I think this has to do with the fact that the weapon drops can't get picked up, simply giving you the item item. I've noticed if you run over ammo as well then the grinface activates, but I'm going to see if I can make this happen consistently.
3. weapons in Doom you're able to pick up even if you have the max. amount of ammo for that type.
Noted and will fix, thank you.
4. it would be nice if the Zorch death-states for the Chex Warrior would be randomized when you kill an enemy. it's kinda tiring hearing the same Zorch effect and same death scream everytime you kill an enemy; some variation would be nice.
I'm not sure how many more variation of zorch cries or porting sounds I can make, but I can try.
and for that matter, since the Chex Warrior is more or less a clone of Doomguy in terms of weapon-power, maybe you could make him more unique by making him shoot small, fast projectiles ala Wildweasel's "Nazis!" mod? not that it would matter that much, but it's just a thought.
I'm hesitant to change him that much from his original incarnation, considering the changes he does already have from Doomguy--his Large Zorcher is faster than the shotgun, all his weapons are more accurate to make up for the lack of SSG, and his Zorch Propulsor does no self damage. That being said, he is still pretty much a clone, so I'll give it a shot and see how it affects things.
6. echoing the Crossbow issue, Corvus really would need the Crossbow on slot 2. for that matter, Chex Warrior can't use shell-equivalent ammo either on Ultimate Doom because of the same slot-issue.
Well, shit. Shit shit shit.
Note to self: See if there's a way to check what iwad is being played via ACS/Decorate.
When playing Hexen, you can't jump high enough to complete the game.

Notably, two levels where jumping high is required are Guardian of Steel (once all puzzles are solved, if you want to go to the hub's secret level by grabbing the torch in the center room) and Orchard of Lamentations (can't climb the giant steps to get to the Emerald Planet).
Well, shit. Shit shit shit shit shit. I knew testing on a server that had +sv_gravity 705.0 would bite me in the ass.
Uh.
I'm gonna try and figure out how to fix this.
for the dual zorchers, didin't somone make a super zorcher? (SSG equivalent)
Aye, but no other warrior should wield an SSG equivalent. The Super Shotgun is hilariously overpowered in Doom II and will be the most powerful non-ultimate in all of Samsara--possibly the only weapon that will/should come close is Timon's Axe. Only Doomguy will get to wield such a broken weapon.
Viscra Maelstrom

Re: Samsara (Concept build) - v0.15

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

more stuff:

1. BJ can pick up Weapon 7 for extra ammo even if he wields the Spear of Destiny.
2. the extra life seems to work a bit funky, even in ZDoom: i've died a number of times and the extra life i've had hasn't activated.
3. no offense, but Corvus is rather puny taking care of boss enemies in Doom in a well-manner: the Tome of Power just doesn't give him that kind of firepower against Cyberdemons, really.
TerminusEst13

Re: Samsara - v0.16 - Parias is here to kick ass for the Lor

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Intentional, fixed, and tweaked. Weapon 7 is the only weapon drop that can be picked up for the sake of DM play, in order to make it a more valuable item that others will fight over. Also, now the Tome of Power gives an extra 1.5 damage boost. It takes roughly about 25-30 tomed Crossbow shots to fell a Cyber now, compared to about 40-50 of Doomguy's rockets. Not quite as good as the 3-4 of the point-blank BFG, but. Eeehh.

That being said, version 0.16 is now released. While the most notable inclusions are B.J.'s toggle-able retro movement/Parias' inclusion/tentative Ultimate Doom support, there's also been a whole host of fixes. Please enjoy, everybody, and thank you for playing.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Jumping in the Hexen levels where it's required (you can add Traductus' Tomb, as you need to jump high to get back from it) is still hard or impossible with Blazkowicz, however it's fine with Doomguy and Corvus. Haven't tried Chexguy or Parias.
Viscra Maelstrom

in the words of Xaser: "HELL DAMN YES DAMN". i'll be checking this out ASAP.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Gez wrote:Jumping in the Hexen levels where it's required (you can add Traductus' Tomb, as you need to jump high to get back from it) is still hard or impossible with Blazkowicz, however it's fine with Doomguy and Corvus. Haven't tried Chexguy or Parias.
I've always found Silent Refectory to be a nice testing ground for this. If you can't get over the crates, you're pretty much sunk.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Timon's Axe isn't bound to slot 3, by the looks of things.
Viscra Maelstrom

okay, found some things with Parias on a series of playthroughs:

1. the mystic imbant duplicates itself on usage. meaning that once you uses it, you get another one of it in your inventory that's useless.
2. for that matter, the duplicate imbant has the correct nametag attached to it, but none of the other items Parias has do.
3. it's a bit silly that zombies in Doom can get gibbed by the axe or the hammer of Parias. maybe make them not gib when attacked with them?
4. Parias seems to receive very little of ammo when picking it up in Doom. not a huge misfit, though, since he can obtain an item which gives him full ammo.
5. if flying enemies in doom gets frozen in the air, they're floating around in mid-air. maybe make them lose gravity and fall down crashing in such cases?
6. speaking of being frozen in ice, Lost Souls don't get turned into ice by the Frost Shards.
7. also also, maybe make Pain Elemental unleash those very enemies when being frozen? or is it intentional that they can't?
8. there appears to be a bug with the weapon scrolling system: when i had only the Rod and the Frost Shards as Parias, i couldn't scroll backwards into the Shards weapon when i had selected the rod, and not scroll forward to the Rod when i had the Shards weapon selected. the bug got fixed once i got another weapon in my inventory.
9. obtaining the Flechette seems to direct you to an unusable weapon you need to switch away from, with a green blob appearing in the upper-left corner when your "weapon" is bobbing. after switching away from it the disappears from your weaponry.
10. the armor pick-ups have a ear-piercingly sharp noise. might want to lower the volume for them.
11. the invisibility for Parias and Corvus makes Mancubus and Hell Nobles fireballs pass through you, but it doesn't make Arachnotron blasts and Revenant rockets go through you. intentional?

that's what i've found so-far. i'll keep playing now and see if i can find something more...
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:6. speaking of being frozen in ice, Lost Souls don't get turned into ice by the Frost Shards.
This is intentional. Since, y'know, they're on fire.

Also, Terminus, you...you do know that player.setslot exists, don't you?
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

XutaWoo wrote:Also, Terminus, you...you do know that player.setslot exists, don't you?
You mean Player.WeaponSlot, right?

I don't think it's supported by Zandronum (yet).
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Hurr, yes. :P

And yes it is. It's been supported forever.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Aye, it is supported, but what isn't supported is reading beyond the first word. So (for example) instead of reading Player.WeaponSlot X, "Dragon Claw" as "give this player class the weapon called Dragon Claw", instead it reads dragon and tries to give them the Death Wyvern as a weapon.
Which, uh, leads to interesting results.
Jumping in the Hexen levels where it's required [...] is still hard or impossible with Blazkowicz, however it's fine with Doomguy and Corvus.
B.J. has the same jumping level as Corvus/Doomguy/Chexter, who all have a JumpZ of 9 (Parias has 10.75), so if they can make it B.J. should be able to as well. I haven't tested with retro movement on, but it should be as simple as toggling it off if it's giving trouble.
Still, I'll be sure to check it out.
Timon's Axe isn't bound to slot 3, by the looks of things.
WHOOPS it and Frost Shards are bound to 1. Sorry about that, will be fixed.
1. the mystic imbant duplicates itself on usage. meaning that once you uses it, you get another one of it in your inventory that's useless.
You're not the only person that's had this, but its occurrence seems...random. Sometimes it even fixes itself once you use it enough times. Basically the Mystic Ambit summons an actor inheriting from ArtiHealingRadius except with AUTOACTIVATE--but sometimes it doesn't actually activate. I'm not entirely sure how to fix this, or even what's causing it in the first place.
2. for that matter, the duplicate imbant has the correct nametag attached to it, but none of the other items Parias has do.
Zandronum doesn't support the Tag actor property yet, I believe, so none of the items have the correct name. I'll see if I can toss Tag on them all when I put out the next ZDoom build.
3. it's a bit silly that zombies in Doom can get gibbed by the axe or the hammer of Parias. maybe make them not gib when attacked with them?
I think it looks badass as all hell, personally, but I can change it.
5. if flying enemies in doom gets frozen in the air, they're floating around in mid-air. maybe make them lose gravity and fall down crashing in such cases?
6. speaking of being frozen in ice, Lost Souls don't get turned into ice by the Frost Shards.
7. also also, maybe make Pain Elemental unleash those very enemies when being frozen? or is it intentional that they can't?
I'm planning on giving monsters (sans obvious exceptions, like Wendigos/Lost Souls/etc) individual ice deaths rather than let the engine handle them...but I've also been thinking about the implications of being frozen and shattered. I was curious about how people felt about enemies shattered not being able to be Vile-revived or Pain Elementals not unleashing Lost Souls upon death. It's straddling the line between "nice bonus" and "gameplay altering", and I'm curious what people think would be a good side of the line to lean towards.
8. there appears to be a bug with the weapon scrolling system: when i had only the Rod and the Frost Shards as Parias, i couldn't scroll backwards into the Shards weapon when i had selected the rod, and not scroll forward to the Rod when i had the Shards weapon selected. the bug got fixed once i got another weapon in my inventory.
By "Rod", do you mean the Sapphire Wand"? I have a feeling this has something to do with the weaponslot bork that DarkArchon pointed out. Fixed.
9. obtaining the Flechette seems to direct you to an unusable weapon you need to switch away from, with a green blob appearing in the upper-left corner when your "weapon" is bobbing. after switching away from it the disappears from your weaponry.
Hm. Do you have weapon auto-switch on?
11. the invisibility for Parias and Corvus makes Mancubus and Hell Nobles fireballs pass through you, but it doesn't make Arachnotron blasts and Revenant rockets go through you. intentional?
The Ghost invisibility lets low-tier enemy attacks just go right through you, but higher-tiers/bosses can still hit you. I've been having a time trying to figure out where exactly to put the "high tier" line in the bestiaries, with who should be able to hit ghosts and who shouldn't--or if only bosses can. What do you think?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The spork doesn't seem to be bound to slot 1 either.

My vote is in favour of keeping axe gibs.

Is it just me or does Blaskowicz do a lot less damage per second than everyone else?
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Silly to gib a zombieman with the axe? How is that silly? I'd expect it with the amount of power that thing has. And ESPECIALLY hammer. It'd be more likely hammer would make different gibs but I'm not requesting that many new death types.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
The Ghost invisibility lets low-tier enemy attacks just go right through you, but higher-tiers/bosses can still hit you. I've been having a time trying to figure out where exactly to put the "high tier" line in the bestiaries, with who should be able to hit ghosts and who shouldn't--or if only bosses can. What do you think?
IMO anything that can(/not) hit ghosts in ZDoom Wars should(/not) be able to hit ghosts here. Not because I'm trying to compare this to ZDW (which, frankly, is unavoidable due to the nature of the project) but because I think it's a good system.
Alternately, have it so physical projectiles (bullets, icicles, etc.) pass through ghosts, while "energy" projectiles (fireballs, plasma, magic, etc.) and boss projectiles will hit them. Then again that would make Flemoids completely helpless.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”