Samsara - No longer under active development.

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
TerminusEst13

Samsara - No longer under active development.

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Welcome to Samsara.
This is a multiplayer project inspired by crossover fighting games, designed to bring these games that people love so much and give them a second life on the multiplayer front, taking the heroes and the weapons and pitting them all aside (and sometimes against) each other. When you play Samsara, you pick a hero from a classic FPS game, spawn in the battlefield with abilities and weapons from their original game, and then proceed to lay waste among all those that stand in your way in whatever iwad or levelset of your choice. Each of the heroes are strictly limited to their own weapons, so you won't have a nonsensical random mash-up of people wielding weapons just not suited for them.
Want to play in Heretic? No problem. Give Chex Quest a whirl? Go right ahead. Wanted to like HeXen but didn't like the low amount of weapons? Go on, enjoy it. Want to go strictly vanilla and play Doom II? Be my guest. Current iwads supported are Doom, Doom II/TNT/Plutonia, Heretic, HeXen, Chex Quest, Strife, and Harmony, and more are to come.

The goal of Samsara is threefold:
1: To provide an interesting competitive mod that will enhance, rather than break, deathmatch/capture the flag/etc play. While obviously nothing will match pure vanilla for srs tourney play, if desired one can have a match full of Doomguys and have little to no differences from vanilla play--and someone joining in as Corvus should not dramatically change things.
2: To stay true to the spirit of classic FPSes by presenting these characters with as close to their original abilities and weapons as reasonably possible. Playing with them should be very much like playing their original game.
3: To provide a fun experience complimentary with many other levelsets, be they cooperative or competitive, so that people can live as their favorite heroes once again and put them through wringers so many other inventive people have designed. Other heroes should not differ so drastically from Doom II that other mods would now be unplayable.

Whether you play in co-op and tear through endless hordes of monsters or play in deathmatch and tear through whatever friends or enemies challenge you, Samsara offers you the ability to live through your favorite games again on new battlefields or new iwads entirely.

http://static.**LINK_DISABLED**.org/wads/samsara-v0.3.pk3 - 0.3 Zanzamaranzadansafrazzlezangsabobangsadedangsacranzadrumoningalingadingdong download, in pk3. (35.67 megs)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo3kfidbd13e4 ... a-v0.3.pk7 - 0.3 Zanzamaranzadansafrazzlezangsabobangsadedangsacranzadrumoningalingadingdong download, in pk7. (26.0 megs)
http://static.**LINK_DISABLED**.org/wads/samsara-v0.3-zd.pk3 - 0.3 ZDoom download, in pk3.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5w1llzxzf3zvi ... 0.3-zd.pk7 - 0.3 ZDoom download, in pk7.
http://www.**LINK_DISABLED**.org/download?file= ... 1-beta.pk3 - 0.31 beta, the final build.

https://github.com/SamsaraDevs/samsaraJunk/wiki/FAQ - WILL CALEB AND STRIFEGUY BE ADDED?
https://github.com/SamsaraDevs/samsaraJunk/wiki/Addons - More add-ons can be located here, for additional gameplay options.
Spoiler: CHARACTERS
Spoiler: SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler: CREDITS
Spoiler: CHANGELOG
Spoiler: Fun trivia for server admins!
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 79 times in total.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Samsara (Concept build)

Post by Matt »

I really like how each character has special abilities based on their native game mechanics.

Fun fact: tooth-whitening toothpaste burns the throat if you laugh trying to imagine that gameplay video, along with all dialogue within, as an actual movie.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Having played this mod for a bit, I found that BJ's Spear of Destiny works wonders in enclosed rooms, and it wears down enemies quickly. However, enemies immune to ripping projectiles, such as bosses like D'Sparil, it's not as effective.

By the way, the pistol has infinite ammo I found. Not that I would complain, though.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

This is pretty cool. Some thoughts, though:

1.) The Heretic bow spawn points seem to spawn both Slot 2 and 3 weapon pickups. Is this by design?
2.) The Hexen monsters are enormous bullet sponges. Both Doomguy and Blazkowitz's pistols take so long to kill a single Ettin that it completely ruins the pace of gameplay. Maybe use a Damagetype so that non-Hexen classes do extra damage to Hexen enemies, so as to maintain the pace?
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I also noted that during gameplay, the enemies Chex Warrior defeats (sending them into another dimension) leave no corpses behind, which is a major plus as far as fighting Archviles are concerned.

Edit: I noted that in those crossover wads like "Hordes of Chaos" and "Resurrection of Chaos", the non-native monsters, if killed by the Chex Warrior, don't get transported to another dimension; instead, they die their normal death animations.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Thank you all, I'm glad you enjoy it.
By the way, the pistol has infinite ammo I found. Not that I would complain, though.
Yeah, fist weapons are gone, so Pistol weapons take their place in being infinite use cheap weapons. Everyone's Basic weapon also hits ghosts, so just in case Doomguy gets mobbed by Ghost Nitrogolems before getting the Rocket Launcher/Plasma Rifle he won't be completely defenseless.
The Heretic bow spawn points seem to spawn both Slot 2 and 3 weapon pickups. Is this by design?
Yeah. Heretic doesn't have an SSG equivalent, so rather than have people never get Weapon III, the Ethereal Crossbow gives both II and III. Should it be spawned later on?
The Hexen monsters are enormous bullet sponges. [...] Maybe use a Damagetype so that non-Hexen classes do extra damage to Hexen enemies, so as to maintain the pace?
A wonderful idea, thank you.
I also noted that during gameplay, the enemies Chex Warrior defeats (sending them into another dimension) leave no corpses behind, which is a major plus as far as fighting Archviles are concerned.
Trust me, that doesn't stop the Vile, haha. It's pretty strange to zorch someone, only to have the Vile revive their...corpse?
Would you suggest the Vile has an unzorching animation, or that zorching shouldn't let anyone revive at all?
I noted that in those crossover wads like "Hordes of Chaos" and "Resurrection of Chaos", the non-native monsters, if killed by the Chex Warrior, don't get transported to another dimension; instead, they die their normal death animations.
Uh-oh. Can you link me these wads, please?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I kinda want to suggest that the vile, instead of being able to, say, portal a monster back in, have a special attack just for you, Chex Warrior.
Gez

Post by Gez »

When playing as Corvus in Doom, weapon pickup points count as items. So it's impossible to leave with 100% items since item pickup points remain forever.
dljosef wrote:Edit: I noted that in those crossover wads like "Hordes of Chaos" and "Resurrection of Chaos", the non-native monsters, if killed by the Chex Warrior, don't get transported to another dimension; instead, they die their normal death animations.
That is unavoidable. You'll have to edit the mods in question, to replace actor declaration of the form:

Code: Select all

actor DoomImpInHeretic : DoomImp 1337 {}
with actor declaration of the form:

Code: Select all

actor DoomImpInHeretic : RandomSpawner 1337 { DropItem "DoomImp" }
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

@Terminus - Here are the two wads in question.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=13624 (Resurrection of Chaos)
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=13122 (Hordes of Chaos X)

Other than the Chex Warrior issue, the two wads work fine with this mod.

Edit: I forgot to mention that BJ, seeing that he has no weapon 3, works flawlessly with UDoom.
Akira_98

Post by Akira_98 »

Surprised this thread isn't 3 pages long by now. It's an awesome concept anyways. Had ammo issues in later episodes of Doom as Corvus, and Heretic as Blazkowicz. The HUD is a bit of an issue with Blazkowicz's chaingun, taking up most of the screen unless you're using the minimal HUD. Forcing it to scale may not be the best idea for that particular setting. All that aside, it's still fun.

Duke's planned, right? :P
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

holycrapwtfwhendidthiscomeout?!
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

When playing as Corvus in Doom, weapon pickup points count as items. So it's impossible to leave with 100% items since item pickup points remain forever.
Noted and will be fixed next update.
Duke's planned, right? :P
Being that this is an early concept build, I'm very open to suggestions as to what heroes to include. Since most iwad support is in, now, the big focus for a bit is going to be bugfixing and heroes.
They take a surprising amount of time to make, though, so don't expect one in the very next update. :p
holycrapwtfwhendidthiscomeout?!
On the 23rd. Please enjoy.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Wouldn't it be better if the ethereal crossbow and firemace were swapped? Try playing Ultimate Doom with Corvus -- unless you cheat, you'll never get the crossbow, so you'll never be able to use shell-equivalent ammo.
FireSeraphim

Post by FireSeraphim »

Might I recommend adding Caleb from Monolith's Blood as a playable character?
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

@Kinsie - As far as Blazkowitz's pistol goes, a majority of Doom II's enemies are bigger bullet sponges as well, and a majority of them tend to be unaffected by the ripper property of the Spear of Destiny's secondary projectiles and the ripper rockets.

Also, speaking of Hexen, apparently, Hexen's keyconf doesn't recognize the rest of the slot weapons if I'm not mistaken.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”