[request] Firing rotations for a sprite

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: [request] Firing rotations for a sprite

Post by Enjay »

Reactor wrote:Um, Enjay...mind posting that 3 (or so) Doomguy posture? It's very helpful to take a look at them during pixelwork.
I'm not sure what you mean. Something other than the DoomGuy ones I already posted? I only have the 5 rotations for that one.

Anyway, I went ahead and tried my own rotations based on yours (and cleaned up a few very minor bits and pieces while I was at it). They didn't come put too bad. I'd have never managed them from scratch but with yours as a template I got there. If you think you can make them better (which I'm sure you can), be my guest but if you don't feel like doing any more, I think I'm pretty well covered now. Thanks once again.

[edit] Heh, I just noticed he gets quite a bit shorter when viewed from behind. That's an easy fix though. [/edit]
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Not bad, not bad at all! I see you got what I meant "arm swapping"! To tell the honest, I couldn't done it better myself :) maybe if I wouldn't stick to those colours strictly which the soldier already has, I could make it more detailed, but hell - this is perfect as it is, I wouldn't mess up not one bit just to add a few more colours (too many cooks spoil the soup). I might also require a bit of help with project Tristania 2 (not graphical, but programming), so I see no reason why wouldn't I help you.

The Langoliers I made for DefconRazor were a million times harder EVEN with hard rip - and I haven't talked about the unpaletted textures I'm creating for Tristania 2 (yes, all 25000 of them). Actually, working on your soldier was truly a relief after all the 24 bit PNGs of the Diadron, so I could relax a bit.

(yes, I noticed the soldier's headwear afterwards, but it could be corrected very easily anyway)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

In that case, here it is again with the final touch-ups. Height is now more or less the same in all rotations (there is still a little variation but, hey, there always has been in Doom sprites) and I beefed up the back leg in the #3 view (original below).

I hear what you are saying about the colours. The greens are a little limited, especially towards the lower end. I'm going to be using translations on the sprite to give it better colours but to make that as easy as possible, I'm sticking with the main green range in the palette. I guess that I could have used some of the even darker ones but with the main greens occupying entries 112-127 and the darker ones 9-12... well, like I said, I'm keeping things easy. Also, I did the base of these sprites some time ago before I realised that multiple-range translations were possible. In fact, the sprites are old enough that, maybe, they weren't possible at the time when I made them.

I'm glad that Tristania 2 is a ZDoom project. I played the first Tristania but I had a little difficulty adapting to the the old engine. I got it working an everything but, for example, features like every entity occupying a 64x64 space made navigating some areas annoying (eg in the first map where relatively small trees or bushes completely block your way even if they look like you might be able to squeeze past them). I'll be interested to see some screenshots of Tristania 2 as and when you have them available.

Anyway, thanks once again for your help.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

You're welcomed :) If I can help, I gladly assist anyone, especially with graphics. I had quite a few years to master my graphical skills, my current level can be seen at the Diadron (although, to be honest, it's still a tough nut to crack). I had quite a lot of experience with these Wolfenstein-ish sprites...these were a lot easier to modify.

To be honest, Tristania 2 is a GZDoom project, since I want to use some models as well (for trees, bushes, and certain gargoyle statues that is), and I never EVER want to limit the colours of a walltype/enemy/object just because the palette doesn't recognize all its colours. I really needed that OpenGL support...I had just enough of the palettes at EoD engine.

By the way, if you need some futuristic soldiers, In Pursuit of Greed has plenty of them, and is quite rippable, if I may recommend.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

ttp

Post by ttp »

I know it has been a couple of years, but I have a similar request and project I am working on. I cant send private messages to you guys so please contact me.

Return to “Requests”