[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
UnTrustable

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by UnTrustable »

Blox wrote:Strategy? I mean like that, D'Sparil can easily unleash hell upon you - without Korax being in the way.
This made me think indeed of D'Sparil combining his magical spells with korax. (See sprite sheet #02)
Also made some rotations where D'Sparil can make his electrical attack while on the shoulders of korax.
I can also make it so, that they both fire at the same time, but i dont think that is cool in my opinion.
Spoiler: Korax-Rider_Sheet02
Im not aware of the details of the backstories of the Serpent riders in total.
Now by reading the posts, now i know... but ohwell, people can recolor DSparil, making him blue, and its looks like 'Thor' of the Beastiary (realm667)
is riding korax.
Recolor Korax, and this Thor is riding an other creature looks like Korax.
I dont know, :roll: i just did this combination out of fun, and if people laughs about D'Sparil falling off... well, then i succeeded :D

Trying to do a Heresiarch on Korax, like Enjay posted a few post back, and i figured out that doing Heresiarch is alot more difficult than i had with D'Sparil.
Spoiler: Heresiarch-korax-Rider
Gez

Post by Gez »

An idea I had to make a "real" Korax boss fight was to have it staged like the D'Sparil fight (first, Korax in his Heresiarch attire mounted on the six-armed chaos serpent; then you kill the serpent and fight Korax alone); but once you destroy Korax's body his soul sneakily flies off to the carcass of the chaos serpent and revives it. Then, bam, the chaos serpent starts fighting you with Korax's spells and you get the Hexen fight.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

That's actually not a bad idea at all. It'd work best with a new spriteset for the Korax-serpent, though -- perhaps a bit less spikey and more similar to standard chaos serpents, to really make the 'merge' hit home. :)
Blox

Post by Blox »

I see you downscaling sprites. It's not like this is a fix-it-all thing, but it definitely helps reduce a lot of manual tweaking.
Though if you don't mind the entire sprite becoming opaque, you might want to try RotSprite. (Or combine both! p:)
Bane

Post by Bane »

Thought i'd throw these up, in the hope that someone with a better understanding of shading than I, could make them look half decent :wub: Image Trying to make something similar to the stubby shotgun seen on the cover of PS Doom, and the rest of the gun is ok, but the reload is killing me.

This is the gun incase anyone is wondering which one I mean Image
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

MODEL RIPS :puke:
Image Image Pickup, idle, and
Image swinging.
...Okay, they're meant for WhoDunIt, whose weapons are also based off of models.
It took me a lot of effort to make the sprites not look like low-poly models (as you can see in the third sprite; it's a little distorted). I will put more work into this, but I'm just wondering what I should do to improve it.
gerolf

Post by gerolf »

For something like that, down-scaling is pretty much the way to go. Even in Heretic, D'sparil looked less detailed on the serpent then when he was off of it. It's not like the player would be paying too much attention to that, as they're getting shot at by Korax itself, and the Heressiarch would just add a bigger challenge. I mean, what we see here is not crap, it's very good work and as I said downsized or not, it doesn't quite matter here.
Bane wrote:Image
In my opinion, that type of shotgun (which is so sawed off) should be used in a Terminator style. The animation would just have the player sway the gun forward and back fast enough for the pump to move itself. (Though this is extremely unrealistic). OR make it a semi auto that can be held with one hand? Neither of these have really been done before..
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Minigunner wrote:MODEL RIPS :puke:
Image Image Pickup, idle, and
Image swinging.
...Okay, they're meant for WhoDunIt, whose weapons are also based off of models.
It took me a lot of effort to make the sprites not look like low-poly models (as you can see in the third sprite; it's a little distorted). I will put more work into this, but I'm just wondering what I should do to improve it.
I like it. Maybe it just has 'too much info' at it, I mean, it has much more details if compared to Doom Weapns.
Bane

Post by Bane »

gerolf wrote: In my opinion, that type of shotgun (which is so sawed off) should be used in a Terminator style. The animation would just have the player sway the gun forward and back fast enough for the pump to move itself. (Though this is extremely unrealistic). OR make it a semi auto that can be held with one hand? Neither of these have really been done before..
Not fond of those reloading sprites then? ( I know they still need a lot of work)
Blox

Post by Blox »

gerolf wrote:For something like that, down-scaling is pretty much the way to go.
I know, but plain nearest-neighbor scaling looks like butts.
That itsy bitsy tutorial of mine I posted to at least covers how you can downscale sprites without having to do a whole load of manual fixing. (And instead just some.)

At least if you' want to avoid having to cut the sprite out of a colored (usually black, argh) background again.
UnTrustable

Post by UnTrustable »

Downloaded the paint.NET and plugin. I'll see what it does.
gerolf

Post by gerolf »

Bane wrote:Not fond of those reloading sprites then? ( I know they still need a lot of work)
Well, I'm not really fond of that shotgun sprite itself to be honest.
Bane

Post by Bane »

gerolf wrote:
Bane wrote:Not fond of those reloading sprites then? ( I know they still need a lot of work)
Well, I'm not really fond of that shotgun sprite itself to be honest.
Fair enough, I understand it looks pretty tacky.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Also, just remembered this thing that Toenail posted a while ago. Anybody want to try to take a crack at it? :P

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 68#p376268
Springy

Post by Springy »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:Also, just remembered this thing that Toenail posted a while ago. Anybody want to try to take a crack at it? :P

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 68#p376268
Wow a Timesplitter reaper, never seen one of them made in Doom before.

Return to “General”