[v1.0.0] Psychic -- HEY LOOK ITS RELEASED NOW

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: [WIP] Psychic -- Public Beta #4

Post by Gez »

Xaser wrote:I'll do that on occasion -- if I'm not sure which to keep, I'll leave them both in since the earlier of the two is ignored. Not that I'd recommend the practice -- it doesn't work at all with .pk3s anyway :P
Yes it does -- if you use SLADE 3. Normal zip utility will overwrite, but SLADE is perfectly happy with you having a pk3 full of different files all having the exact same name.

The zip format certainly allows it; it's just that normal filesystems don't so the typical zip utilities will behave like a filesystem manager as they assume that's what the user wants.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

So have you got all the DIALOGUE lump stuff done for the Strife version?
I've been boning up on it so I could make that part of the patch I sent, but you're prolly way ahead of me :mrgreen:
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I'm not sure it needs to be done, actually. You can "replace" actors in conversation scripts by defining new ConversationID's, since DIALOGUE scripts use those exclusively to refer to items and ZDoom will only use the last assigned item for any particular ConversationID (meaning you can make a totally new item, not use "replaces" at all, and still get it to be given to you via a dialogue by defining its ConversationID property). I haven't touched the Strife code yet, though, since I've been focusing on getting the others up and working 100% first since they're arguably less complex. ;)

Thaks so much for this, BTW. It's mega fun blasting through the Raven games with it. ;)
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Xaser wrote:Thanks so much for this, BTW. It's mega fun blasting through the Raven games with it. ;)
No prob! It's awesome to be able to give something back to a mod that has given me and so many other people a lot of fun times!
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

What, no psyhacx? :P

I'm really looking forward to the heretic version.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

ChronoSeth wrote:What, no psyhacx? :P
I was actually working on a patch for that based on the new HacX beta that was released in time for christmas. But then I realized "you know what, it would make more sense to do this on the full version." :roll:
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Xaser needs to get HacxHacx finished before he thinks about PSYHacx :P
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

I first saw this in action from the Something Awful Let's Play Doom Mods showcase, and I decided to try it out myself with No End in Sight - something of a "Masters of Insanity combo meal". :p This is pretty fuuuuunnnn, and a great change of pace from the norm. I just wish the HUD was a bit larger.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Captain Ventris wrote:Xaser needs to get HacxHacx finished before he thinks about PSYHacx :P
I love Xaser to pieces, but with his workrate that means probably in about four years. :p
Xaser

Re: [WIP] Psychic -- Beta #5, now with Raven & Strife!

Post by Xaser »

Kaboom!

ImageImageImage

Beta 5 is out. Biggest new thing this time 'round is Heretic, Hexen, and Strife support (huuuuuge thanks to amv2k9 for kickstarting it and providing the initial DECORATE defs), though it also features some minor tweaks to things, more BM for enemies, and GLDefs thanks to DBThanatos. I've stuck the changelog in the first post since I don't have the old .txt with me to append to.

For those wanting to play Strife, here's a couple of gameplay notes you may want to read:
  • In Strife (and only Strife), Steel is considered 'silent'. This allows you to progress "stealthily" through the areas that "require" it. The Needlegun is pretty useful in such scenarios as well, but this will ensure you'll neve get stuck since you're always guaranteed to have Steel.
  • The Sigil is still present. It's in Slot 6, it runs off PSI instead of health now, and some of the firemodes (namely 2, 4, and 5) have been revamped to better fit the apparent power scale. You can use regular Psychic attacks with it too, but currently the animation for such is undone because Xaser am a lazy barg.
  • As Degnin ore cannot exist in the inventory bar, obtaining a piece of ore will allow you to disable forcefields with your Handguns. Simply shoot 'em after picking up some ore and they'll go poof.
  • All quest-related inventory items, such as Beldin's ring and the Guard Uniform, no longer appear in the main inventory but will still function the same. They are instead shown in the automap display's "Inventory" section (the key bar). This won't affect normal gameplay, so no worries.
  • Gold is no longer present, and as a result, merchants are pretty useless. This isn't likely to change since it involves changing Strife's dialogue scripts, which will break custom maps. You can still visit Irale with the Flamethrower parts, though he will make you a grenade launcher instead.
  • Stamina upgrades still exist, though accuracy upgrades do not. Be sure to visit Gerard from time to time to get your latest implant, but ignore Feris because he's a stubborn grouch.
This info's in the first post, too, for easy viewability and whatnot.

Anyhow, give it a whirl! It's still a beta so there's likely to be some glitches or whatnot, but Raven and Strife should be fully-playable now. Testing and feedback for those games would be particularly helpful. ;)
edward850

Post by edward850 »

You sold me on
Xaser wrote:Kab
Already downloaded.
I assume multiplayer is still supported?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Co-op should work just fine in all games 'cept Strife. I haven't tested PsyHeretic or PsyHexen in co-op personally, but there shouldn't be anything that mucks things up (though those are famous last words for some). So yes, your co-op sessions should still be good to go. :)
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Downloaded. :D

I'll be testing this to a ridiculous extent with strife, I assure you. :P

Edit: already found something kinda annoying; at the start you have to use your psy powers to kill the acolytes without setting off the alarm.

Edit 2: heh, you actually documented it. It's still kinda counter-intuitive, though.
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

I'm loving the new look of the harpoon gun, especially the 'reloading' animation it has now.

Also: Unsurprisingly, loading this up will Skulltag does not work, even though the game loads it without error... it's almost as if ST doesn't recognize the Pk3. (The game loads up to the default start screen, the player starts with the standard weapons, etc.)
edward850

Post by edward850 »

As expected, it seems Skulltag has messed up the skin loading system. It finds psyskins.wad inside the pk3, and decides to ignore everything else because it assumes it's supposed to only replace skins. Removing that, Skulltag still fails to launch, getting stuck on the +NOMENU flag.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”