Strife: Weapons of Rebellion 2 - V1.3 Released! 8/9/12

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
amv2k9

Strife: Weapons of Rebellion 2 - V1.3 Released! 8/9/12

Post by amv2k9 »

In February of last year, I began modding for ZDoom, and I began it with a little project for Strife called Weapons of Rebellion. I'd only discovered Strife recently, but liked it a lot. Much to my suprise, very little community content had been created for it; a few good maps, a weapons mod in development, and that was it. I had been learning the rudiments of Decorate at the time, and so when deciding what game I wanted to do a first project for, I thought "Why not Strife?" And so Weapons of Rebellion began. It started out simple; faster weapon switches, and eliminating the sisterweapon system in favor of one that made each weapon's sibling an altfire attack. As I learned more and more of Decorate, it expanded little by little.

While I take no credit for starting any trends :P, the Strife scene is certainly looking better today, with talented modders like WildWeasel, TiberiumSoul, Sangelothi, ChronoSeth, and Mikk- creating mods, and Khorus working on "Absolute Order", a successor to his Cacoward-winning Strife map "A World in Strife: Raiding the Dam". With all the additions to ZDoom since I shelved this project, I figured it's time to bring it back.

So here is Weapons of Rebellion 2. For those of you who haven't played Weapons of Rebellion, it's like this; drop some of Strife's vanilla weapons, and spice up the rest with those weapons' abilities, plus some all new functions.

With the advent of version 1.3, you will see some big changes that I'm pretty excited to implement, namely expansions in Strife's dialogue. There won't be reams of new dialogue to sift through for every NPC, but some NPCs will have additional things to say, and new ways to complete some missions. In addition, the secondary fire modes for your weapons are now modifications that need to be performed at various merchants once you've obtained the right parts.

Screens:
Note:HUD elements in earlier screenshots are not representative of the current build.
Spoiler:
Arsenal:
Spoiler:
Other Changes:
-Your helmet has a flashlight that runs off a rechargeable battery. On a full charge, you get about thirty seconds of illumination, and the battery will recharge whenever you're not using it. Allowing the battery to run all the way down will cause it to take longer to begin charging again.
-Targeters are replaced by money, since they were really only useful in the early game, and some of the meapon modifications kind of negate this powerup's usefulness.
-Wooden barrels may sometimes drop assault clips, crossbow bolts, med patches, medkits or money when destroyed.
-Environmental Suit storage increased from five to six.
-Shadow Armor storage increased to three.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
IMPORTANT NOTES:
-Weapons of Rebellion 2 currently requires at least GZDoom 1.6 to run.
-Remember to set a key to the "Change Ammo" and "Toggle Flashlight" functions in the Customize Controls menu.
Download Weapons of Rebellion 2 - Version 1.3
Last edited by amv2k9 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
amv2k9

Re: Strife: Weapons of Rebellion 2 - V1.1 Released! 5/11/12

Post by amv2k9 »

After testing a bit more I found a couple errors; one glaring and one cosmetic. So here's a hotfix for version 1.

Version 1.1 Changelog:

-Previously, mine explosions did nail damage, making them way too dangerous to you and too broken to use on enemies.
-Scope graphics now have the Bright keyword.
Last edited by amv2k9 on Tue May 15, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amv2k9

Re: Strife: Weapons of Rebellion 2 - V1.2 Released! 5/15/12

Post by amv2k9 »

Ooookay, let's try this again... Another hotfix, this time, the mines are ACTUALLY fixed.

Version 1.2 Changelog:
-Nails eliminated from Arbiter Minimine explosion. Damage and damage radius reduced. Dynamic lights added to explosion.
-Nails and naildamage reduced for Droneturret and Spiderbot remote detonation.
-Translation colors changed for gun-equipped enemy Stalkers; they're easier to tell apart from regular Stalkers now.
-Micromissiles now do a little more damage, and in a wider area.
Jansen344

Re: Strife Server

Post by Jansen344 »

Hey was wandering if you would be down to starting a Strife server. That mod might be pretty badass on a deathmatch or maybe a coop map. I'm really into Strife, but my modding skills aint that great, but it be cool if we made like a Strife revival or something, the game being badass the way it is. :D
amv2k9

Re: Strife Server

Post by amv2k9 »

Jansen344 wrote:Hey was wandering if you would be down to starting a Strife server. That mod might be pretty badass on a deathmatch or maybe a coop map. I'm really into Strife, but my modding skills aint that great, but it be cool if we made like a Strife revival or something, the game being badass the way it is. :D
'Fraid not. The computer I use for modding doesn't have net access, and my only net access is somewhere where I can't start up a server. Besides, you couldn't do a server with WOR 2 anyway, because it makes use of a lot of inventory checks and hacks that only look at player 1's inventory. Not multiplayer friendly.
Akira_98

Post by Akira_98 »

Small bump. It seems like it's not recognized when all the blue acolytes are killed in the town hall after destroying the power tap/coupling. Otherwise, found the minimines are probably my new favorite Strife-ish weapon, and the overall polished feel is nice. Gotta do something about that fall damage though. You can do a lot of damage to yourself just in town by jumping down stairs and ledges.

Also, semi-random side note: I wonder if Strife mods would be more popular if there were Doom-like levels for Strife, since using mods like WoR and Endless Strife either come down to playing through the beginning of the game again, or going on a small rampage in town.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Akira_98 wrote:Small bump. It seems like it's not recognized when all the blue acolytes are killed in the town hall after destroying the power tap/coupling.
Whaaa? I better go test this.
Gotta do something about that fall damage though. You can do a lot of damage to yourself just in town by jumping down stairs and ledges.
True. I bumped jump height up a litle bit to make some jumps a little less annoying, which is part of the problem. Though there doesn't seem to be much I can do... ZDoom does allow the player to change the falling damage formula/whether its on or off, but as that's a CVAR, it's off-limits to modders.
Also, semi-random side note: I wonder if Strife mods would be more popular if there were Doom-like levels for Strife, since using mods like WoR and Endless Strife either come down to playing through the beginning of the game again, or going on a small rampage in town.
Hopefully Absolute Order will help with that.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

1.3 will introduce some things I'm quite proud of, namely improved dialogue scripting. No more will different merchants charge you different amounts for what is now the same item, and the options will now match up with what the item is actually called!

Since I've been making leaps and bounds with my understanding of the USDF lately, I'm thinking about making a change to the weapon altfires; namely, that they will not be on the weapon when you first get it, and instead be mods that you buy from merchants across the Strife world. The big problem with this is that it breaks compatability with custom maps.
Sangelothi

Post by Sangelothi »

amv2k9 wrote:While I take no credit for starting any trends , the Strife scene is certainly looking better today, with talented modders like WildWeasel, Zero-X, ChronoSeth, and Mikk- creating mods, and Khorus working on "Absolute Order", a successor to his Cacoward-winning Strife map "A World in Strife: Raiding the Dam". With all the additions to ZDoom since I shelved this project, I figured it's time to bring it back.
Thanks :mrgreen: I tend to lack the motivation to work on my projects nowadays, but reading things like that are real uplifting, thanks :D
Akira_98

Post by Akira_98 »

Found a couple more bugs. The Harbringer's primary fire will always fire, even without primary ammo, so long as you have secondary ammo. There's also a bug involving the phosphorous grenades. Your A_Refire in 'AltHoldPhos' is trying to jump to 'AltPhosHold', so you can't refire more than once without the gun returning to the ready state.
amv2k9 wrote:Absolute Order
Definitely been looking forward to this since it was announced.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

amv2k9 wrote:1.3 will introduce some things I'm quite proud of, namely improved dialogue scripting. No more will different merchants charge you different amounts for what is now the same item, and the options will now match up with what the item is actually called!
It might be best to include this in a separate WAD to account for maps which make use of dialogue scripts.
amv2k9 wrote:Since I've been making leaps and bounds with my understanding of the USDF
You know, ZSDF gets rid of the ConversationID dependency, and otherwise uses the same syntax. I'm sure that you'll eventually run out of ConversationIDs at the rate you're going. :P
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

So, WoR 2 does indeed cause problems with the scanning crew Acolytes. I've addressed the issue; it was because I redefined the AcolyteBlue class to one which has the BRIGHT keyword in its firing frames. Strife is hardcoded do some kind of check to ascertain the death of all AcolyteBlues, which was screwing it up. Hopefully things like this are not done elsewhere.

On an unrelated note, while the Governor's mansion is locked down, it's locked with the Oracle key, of all things.
Akira_98 wrote:Found a couple more bugs. The Harbringer's primary fire will always fire, even without primary ammo, so long as you have secondary ammo. There's also a bug involving the phosphorous grenades. Your A_Refire in 'AltHoldPhos' is trying to jump to 'AltPhosHold', so you can't refire more than once without the gun returning to the ready state.
Right. I'll get on to fixing that!
ChronoSeth wrote:I'm sure that you'll eventually run out of ConversationIDs at the rate you're going. :P
Probably not; I'm not introducing a ton of new actors, just a few that will need to have ConvIDs so that the item can be given.
ChronoSeth wrote:It might be best to include this in a separate WAD to account for maps which make use of dialogue scripts.
Yeah, I'm actually doing something along those lines:

Big, big changes in store for Weapons of Rebellion 2. From now on, development will be split between two versions: Full and Lite. The Full version is intended to be run when you're just playing with vanilla Strife, while the Lite edition is intended for when you're playing custom maps such as Kaiser's Return of the Order and Khorus' Raiding the Dam. This is needed because starting in 1.3, WoR2 will have new, custom conversation scripts for some maps; if you were to run it with maps like Raiding the Dam, it'd overwrite the new scripts the map(s) has and break everything. In addition, in the Full version, altfires for weapons must be unlocked by completing objectives and/or talking to certain NPCs. The Lite version will give you all the altfires from the outset, since I can't really control how all that stuff could work in a custom map. You'll also be able to use the Lite version in the standard IWAD if you find hunting down the altfires to be a hassle ;)
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Well, I can see that I'm being completely out-done. :P

I'll definitely do a play through with this once you've released 1.3.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Double posting because eight hours.

I ran into a very fatal error (crash) with GZDoom when trying to play through Return of the Order... it happened when a spiderbot I had spawned "ran out of targets" (it displayed the flashing text declaring that there were "no targets found"). It's odd that it happened at all though, seeing as it was fighting a crusader. :?
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

ChronoSeth wrote:I ran into a very fatal error (crash) with GZDoom when trying to play through Return of the Order... it happened when a spiderbot I had spawned "ran out of targets" (it displayed the flashing text declaring that there were "no targets found"). It's odd that it happened at all though, seeing as it was fighting a crusader. :?
Woah. That's...not good. Lemme check the code, and I'll see if I can replicate this in that mod and vanilla Strife.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”