[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Lexus Alyus wrote:i suppose I'll accept yoyr reeasons for destroying my texturing...

If you deliberately ignore this project's premise anything else would have been a major surprise!
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Urm, I would tell you to do something bad, but I really need your help in the general forum, so I'll just say this: Your completely right and I fully agree with you... now help me with my motherboard dilemma please :).

:twisted:
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Lexus - I have added some of those pipes back to the first room and I think you will like the final result ;) BTW, I left most of your areasd as they have been because they are ok, so be kind now :)
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Tormentor667 wrote:@UltimateDoomer - You can always add new features and spice up the areas from week2 ;) And don't forget to place the secret weapon 7 there!
It was already there when I got the map.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, great :)

Some Stats on E1M5
-------------------------
After Week2
2286 Vertices
3041 Linedefs
4886 Sidedefs
732 Sectors
417 Things

After 2 days of Week3
4175 Vertices (+46%)
5275 Linedefs (+43%)
8828 Sidedefs (+45%)
1126 Sectors (+35%)
487 Things (+15%)
-------------------------
I have now revamped about 80% of all the E1M5 areas. The bad thing about this is, that I had not only to work on the untouched areas, I had also to work a lot on the areas revamped by the other two participants concerning style & detail. For now I have added just 2 new areas of which 1 isn't already finished: An underwater area (duke-teleport) to the main nukagepool (screenshot 2 above) and another outside area where you normally find the "Soulsphere" and some Medikits (+ Chainsaw and Suite). I removed the fact that this is a secret and made it a normal accessable area with some more new buildings in the outer part. You can enter one of these buildings and there you will find the "REAL LABS!!!" secretly hidden into the ground. But these labs have still to be done. Also the room before the exit isn't finished and I have to work a lot on the room before this outside area concerning style and detail. But then I am done and start with the placement of monsters and ammo :)

Screenshots will follow soon :)
Risen

Post by Risen »

You make it sound like stats are everything. Personally, I'm only concerned with how it plays and I think Lexus and I were well on the right track. Suggesting otherwise like this is taken as a personal offense.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, to be honest, I didn't want to say anything with the stats, just some overview for others (because you always can connect stats with detail if I am working on a map like this, but that sounds arrogant, so please forget about it).
And don't get me wrong, Risen, if I say that some of your and Lexus' parts needed a major touch up. I didn't say that they are bad, I just meant that some areas had places, where I saw that something is missing. And that was no question of "eye for candy", it was a question of episode-1 feeling and effort... damn, that also sounds a bit stupid and offending ;) Well, check the shots and you might see what I mean!

The new area with buildings behind the place where you normally get the secrets (medikits, soulsphere, etc) For the area you need the yellow keycard!

The place where you can get the blue keycard. I added some detail and stuff to this room!

The final revamped main nukage pool. I hope you guys like it now as it is! If you fall into the nukage, you will be teleported "dukenukemstyle" into another pool, so the small plates look like they are really swimming :)

This is just for you Lexus ;) I added the PIPEWAL1 textrures back to the first room and please tell me that you are happy now :(

I also changed the look of the room after you went through trhe thick pipe of the first nukagepool before the red keycard. It works now better with the grey pipe :)
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

/looks at Screens: :surprise:

/looks at his own map: :mono: :stuppor: :|
Seriously I wanna play this.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

The curvy stuff in shot 3 is teh omfg awesome.
arcticwolf

Post by arcticwolf »

Sweet. I'm very much looking forward to being able to play the updated version.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Nmn - Thx alot :) It's always a pleasure for me to gain some good words from someone of your calibre!

@Ixnatiful - I just retextured the slopes in this shot and added the lights. The main work was from Risen as far as I know ;)

@arcticwolf - Just 1 week and a few days left ;)
arcticwolf

Post by arcticwolf »

I'm not sure I can wait another week. ;) Seriously, though, I'll manage - and I'm really looking forward to the entire finished episode, too!
Curunir
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Curunir »

Ffs people, stop worshipping Tormentor.
I'm getting serious dejavu-s here. What the fuck, it's a map. An overdetailed map. There are mappers who can achieve far better atmosphere with thrice less vertices. While Tormentor is a good mapper (no use denying the obvious), he IS obsessed with detail too much, to a point where detailing becomes zenith and nadir and everything is just a matter of OMFGBBQLOLWTF MORE VERTICES!
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

So what? As long as it's good?

I think his City of the Damned map is one of the best looking Doom maps I have ever seen!
arcticwolf

Post by arcticwolf »

@Curunir -

Don't be silly. First of all, noone's worshipping him; people have just said that they like the map, at least judging from the screenshots. And furthermore, noone's based their opinion on the vertex/linedef/sidedef/... counts, either.

I agree that atmosphere isn't something that will come automatically if you just throw enough detail into a map, but accusing him of not being able to create atmospheric maps is ridiculous. Did you ever play TNT2, for example?

And, just for the record, detail is *good*. It's not everything, of course, not by any means, but there's nothing wrong with it if it's used skillfully, and T667 manages to do just that.

So there.

Return to “Levels”