ZDL 3.2.2.2 Released (UPDATED August 8th 2012)

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DOOMERO-21

Re: qZDL 3.0.5.5 Beta Released (UPDATED April 18th)

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

NeuralStunner wrote:
DOOMERO-21 wrote:nice, i have a question for play gzdoom or zdoom online use the sistem peer to peer or client/server?
Either one. For 2 players it doesn't really matter, for 3 or more Client/Server will generally perform better.
but when are only 2 players, peer to peer is the dominant? is possible change to client/server?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

As far as I know there's no practical difference between the two for 2P games. (Aside from C/S perhaps causing fewer headaches when firewalls are involved, from what [wiki=Command_line_parameters#Multiplayer_options]the Wiki says[/wiki]..)
lzvk25

Post by lzvk25 »

The "Always Add These Parameters Field" is not saved in the qZDL.ini.

For example I have my game with my mods added.

Then I go to the Settings tab and on the "Always Add These Parameters Field" I enter : -TURBO 200 +logfile C:/WADS/QZDL/zdl-log2.txt

And I check them on C:\Users\(my user)\AppData\Roaming\Vectec Software\qZDL.ini and see that in fact they are written under the entry :

alwaysadd=-TURBO 200 +logfile C:/WADS/QZDL/zdl-log2.txt
Spoiler:
So, I start my game and when I finish, I go back, I see that on the Settings screen, the parameters have disappeared.

The funny thing is that in the qZDL.ini the entry is still there, but if I don't re-enter the parameters, the entry will disappear and my game will start without the parameters.
Spoiler:
Could you please take a look at this issue ?

Thanks
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

Nevermind, I can reproduce it here, I'll have a look. For the sake of others, this is my standard diagnostic guide:
Spoiler:
lzvk25

Post by lzvk25 »

OK, just in case this helps something :

qzdl log first run - When I enter the values in the "Always Add These Parameters Field" box.

http://pastebin.com/A2RhUxh4

qzdl log second run - When I re-start immediately after finishing a game and discovering that the aforementioned parameters have disappeared.

http://pastebin.com/5Yj27xHZ

:?
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

lzvk25 wrote:OK, just in case this helps something :

qzdl log first run - When I enter the values in the "Always Add These Parameters Field" box.

http://pastebin.com/A2RhUxh4

qzdl log second run - When I re-start immediately after finishing a game and discovering that the aforementioned parameters have disappeared.

http://pastebin.com/5Yj27xHZ

I've updated to 3.0.5.6, it should fix this issue. Please update and let me know
lzvk25

Post by lzvk25 »

QBasicer wrote: I've updated to 3.0.5.6, it should fix this issue. Please update and let me know
Sorry, the error still remains. The values in the "Always Add These Parameters Field" box are still dissapearing like I said before.

Are you sure you are not confusing them with the "Extra Command Line Arguments" box or the extra=... entry in the qZDL.ini file ? Those are being saved properly.
Tormentor667

Re: qZDL 3.0.5.6 Beta Released (UPDATED April 23rd)

Post by Tormentor667 »

For some strange reason, it doesn't save my settings (IWADs, Sourceports), why?!

*EDIT*
I could import the ZDL.INI but I guess thats not a solution if I use qZDL for the first time for example.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

Tormentor667 wrote:For some strange reason, it doesn't save my settings (IWADs, Sourceports), why?!

*EDIT*
I could import the ZDL.INI but I guess thats not a solution if I use qZDL for the first time for example.
That's a bug I fixed for 3.0.5.7 (I dropped a prerelease to lzvk25 to see if that fixes their problem, I haven't heard back yet).

The basic problem was that the internal configuration state couldn't get written to the file if the "%APPDATA%/Vectec Software" folder doesn't exist. I've modified the writeINI to create any parent directories required to write the .ini file.

You (or anybody else) may want to try the latest pre-release at http://zdl.vectec.net/builds/qzdl-win32 ... -02-43.zip. Of course, it's pre-release, so there may be bigger bugs. You can still report them here, though.
lzvk25

Post by lzvk25 »

QBasicer wrote: You (or anybody else) may want to try the latest pre-release at http://zdl.vectec.net/builds/qzdl-win32 ... -02-43.zip. Of course, it's pre-release, so there may be bigger bugs. You can still report them here, though.
Sorry, I didn't notice the PM :oops:

I just tried the version you sent me, as well as this one, and they are working normally. :D

The only thing is that in my case the "%APPDATA%/Vectec Software" folder or C:\Users\(my computer id)\AppData\Roaming\Vectec Software folder already existed, in fact, it was created from the start when I imported my ZDL.INI settings from the very first time and just like Tormentor said, we need to test it from scratch. :?
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

Cool, I can compose a real release tomorrow then. Unfortunately the release date for 3.0.6.0 has slid back, for a few reasons, such as the complexity around reading map names.
lzvk25

Post by lzvk25 »

I can confirm Tormentor's suspicions, and I think it is even worst, if the "%APPDATA%/Vectec Software" folder does not exist, the settings will NEVER be saved regardless of from where you got your initial settings.

And if it is a first time installation, you better do your settings via the old ZDL and import them because otherwise for some reason the settings will NEVER be saved.

And finally, I think that the inclusion of the entry "nouserconf=1" makes matters worse for first time installations.

I don't know but wouldn't be simpler just to include a "base" ini file, always save it in the same folder as the application itself and never rely on crazy windows folders like "%APPDATA%" which changes from location to location, just like the old ZDL ? I say this because in my profession I also get nasty surprises from time to time because of this reason.
:cry:
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

lzvk25 wrote:I can confirm Tormentor's suspicions, and I think it is even worst, if the "%APPDATA%/Vectec Software" folder does not exist, the settings will NEVER be saved regardless of from where you got your initial settings.

And if it is a first time installation, you better do your settings via the old ZDL and import them because otherwise for some reason the settings will NEVER be saved.
Did you try that with 3.0.5.7 pre-release or with the current release? .7 should automatically create the folder, I tested that and it worked for me, so if it doesnt I need to fix it
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Seems to work now QBasicer, thanks for the info and the fix :)

So, when do you think are you going to add the wad library? :D
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

Tormentor667 wrote:Seems to work now QBasicer, thanks for the info and the fix :)
Great, I've had a couple of nasty little bugs, I'm glad to get them fixed.
Tormentor667 wrote:So, when do you think are you going to add the wad library? :D
It's in the pipes, while I haven't started on it directly, I've been working on and planning the changes that have to happen underneath. One of the things that needs to be done is make sure the code is thread safe, which it very much is not at the moment. I think when you see my plans, some people will be very interested.

Return to “Launchers”