DoomStorm (v0.92 March 2017)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DBThanatos

DoomStorm (v0.92 March 2017)

Post by DBThanatos »

Guns. Explosions. Gore.

*** What is this? ***

DoomStorm is GZDoom a gameplay mod for Doom and Doom2. It brings the weapons and some mechanics from People Can Fly's underrated game Bulletstorm.

As of 2017, a new mini version was released addressing several bugs and issues of the mod. You can see the changelog below.

*** I want screenshots! ***
Sorry. No time for that. Instead, I give you a couple videos showed during it's development.
Spoiler:
*** I want details about the weapons!! ***
You sure? Well. Open the spoiler then.
Spoiler:

*** Where to get it? ***

Download the mod in the link below:
-->Download here<--

Compatible with the latest STABLE release of gzdoom: 2.3.2

*** Beta you said? ***

Yes. This is the v0.91. Im releasing as a beta, because Im sure there are another ton of bugs I cant find myself, and perhaps, people around will be able to do so. But as far as features, it is basically done.

*** Changelog ***
Spoiler:
Last edited by DBThanatos on Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 21 times in total.
CorSair

Re: [WIP] DoomStorm

Post by CorSair »

Looks neat!

Question or two, though.
In my opinion, Bulletstorm guns in AEoD goes near to monster genocide (If you used them correctly, of course.)
Are enemies tougher in this?

And I saw the fabled Leash in use...
Is it going to be ported by 1:1, so players can make Homie Missiles, and other cool stuff? :P
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Hmm, What struck me as very interesting was very good looking additive muzzleflashes. I've tried to do them before but my tries have ended up in failiure.
This looks pretty good btw, Don't know how well it will work with the generic doom gameplay. But with custom maps and adapted monsters this could be really cool.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

CorSair wrote:Is it going to be ported by 1:1, so players can make Homie Missiles, and other cool stuff? :P
No skillshots. That'd be going over the point of losing our minds. Sorry. :P
Nash

Post by Nash »

How were the additive muzzle flashes done?
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

Code: Select all

#define MS_IN_AIR (int)
#define MS_STUNNED (int)
#define MAXSKILLSHOTS (int)

str BSScoreTable[MAXSKILLSHOTS]={...};

// ... monster calls a script when killed ...

switch(monster_state_reported)
{
  case (MS_IN_AIR && MS_STUNNED):
    BulletStormMessage(s:"Skillshot #598324384!");
    BulletStormAddScore(BSScoreTable[MS_IN_AIR] + BSScoreTable[MS_STUNNED]);
    Break;
}
Doesn't look like it'd be too hard to me. A little extra manual wrangling with DECORATE and you're good to go essentially

And you of course know how I feel about these weapon rip mods already
Nash

Post by Nash »

I meant "additive muzzle flashes" as in, the render style...

Also, music. \m/ :rock: :rock: :rock:
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

I was referring to the implementation of skillshots, the additive flashes are probably sprites that are stored as APNGs
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

I've watched a few gameplays of Bulletstorm, and it looks marvelous. And I always liked the "feeling" of using the ported weapons on AEoD. Definitely looking forward the release of this one.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

CorSair wrote:Looks neat!

Question or two, though.
In my opinion, Bulletstorm guns in AEoD goes near to monster genocide (If you used them correctly, of course.)
Are enemies tougher in this?

And I saw the fabled Leash in use...
Is it going to be ported by 1:1, so players can make Homie Missiles, and other cool stuff? :P
Monsters are mostly the same (except for the zombies, as they carry their Bulletstorm weapons too). Instead of modifying the monsters, Im modifying the weapon balance. I can guarantee is not the same thing you saw in aeod. And there will be no skillshots, as Cooke mentioned. There's no leash in that video BTW, I was just kicking stuff.
.+:icytux:+. wrote:Hmm, What struck me as very interesting was very good looking additive muzzleflashes. I've tried to do them before but my tries have ended up in failiure.
This looks pretty good btw, Don't know how well it will work with the generic doom gameplay. But with custom maps and adapted monsters this could be really cool.
It is just a weapon mod rather than a "total gameplay mod". There are a few new mechanics (not so new and not so interesting), but I can say I've been having a lot of fun testing it. Like most of the gameplay mods, is all about personal taste. Now, custom maps and all would be great, but since my mapping takes ages, and there's no free/willing mappers around this will have to stay purely as a gameplay mod only.
Nash wrote:How were the additive muzzle flashes done?
They are 32bits PNG taking advantage of the alpha channel. I dont know the technical temrs, as it is not my field.
darkhaven3 wrote: Doesn't look like it'd be too hard to me. A little extra manual wrangling with DECORATE and you're good to go essentially

And you of course know how I feel about these weapon rip mods already
That implementation is a certainly intriguing idea I never thought about, but that goes beyond the purpose of the mod. However, if this thing would ever see the light as a full mod rather than a gameplay mod, I'd definitely use this. Thanks for the suggesiton.

And while Im not totally aware, I guess I'd be right to assume you basically hate the looks of the weapons. That's the closest I could make them to look doomy. And I gotta say, it was a nice exercise for me to start adding the doomguy hands to weapons.
Ribo Zurai wrote:I've watched a few gameplays of Bulletstorm, and it looks marvelous. And I always liked the "feeling" of using the ported weapons on AEoD. Definitely looking forward the release of this one.
I honestly LOVE Bulletstorm, and the weapons were great IMO. I just hate that it flopped.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

DBThanatos wrote: They are 32bits PNG taking advantage of the alpha channel. I dont know the technical temrs, as it is not my field.
I'm guessing they just abuse the alpha channel and is bright. But not actually additive(because that hasn't worked out for me)? It does almost look as if it was though :P
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

My immediate reaction to this thread:
Seriously, I loved Bulletstorm and I'm glad someone is making a mod like this.

Sadly, I don't have any money... >.<
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

DBThanatos wrote:That implementation is a certainly intriguing idea I never thought about, but that goes beyond the purpose of the mod. However, if this thing would ever see the light as a full mod rather than a gameplay mod, I'd definitely use this. Thanks for the suggesiton.

And while Im not totally aware, I guess I'd be right to assume you basically hate the looks of the weapons. That's the closest I could make them to look doomy. And I gotta say, it was a nice exercise for me to start adding the doomguy hands to weapons.
If you aren't against it, after the mod is released I'll see about taking a peek at the weapon code and producing a "Skillshot tack-on mod" if I have time

And it's not that I don't appreciate the effort, but as far as the rips are concerned I generally hate model rips especially. Nothing personal
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

darkhaven3 wrote: If you aren't against it, after the mod is released I'll see about taking a peek at the weapon code and producing a "Skillshot tack-on mod" if I have time
Now I just might happen to gain enough interested to join in on this little charades, but there may be a few issues we have to address first. I'll get to that later.
darkhaven3 wrote:And it's not that I don't appreciate the effort, but as far as the rips are concerned I generally hate model rips especially. Nothing personal
Understandable. Unfortunately, we're definitely not spriters. Even I would make models in 3DS Max and rip them perfectly once complete, just to save some time.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Is it just me, or did the shotgun replacement seem under-powered. It took 2 shots to off the imp at the exit.

Otherwise, quite entertaining!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”