Brütal Doom v0.18

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Zombieguy

Re: Brütal Doom v0.15a Hotfix

Post by Zombieguy »

Just some cheap fan art. Nothing big. It took about 15 minutes. (1024x768)
Spoiler: Kinda big to just have lying around. -mgmt
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

More gore, man! =P
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Coming right up. ;) As soon as I have the time.

EDIT: Yeah, I forgot to add a spoiler.
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Well, my honest opinion on everything right now is:
I like the zombie sounds (not the imp sounds though), but not enough to have them included in the main wad. Maybe an optional addon or something?
As for the complaints about the gore being 'toned down', I haven't really noticed anything toned down since the last version myself, still seems as gory as ever (also, been playing single-player without the cleaneffects wad and whatnot)
Estopolis

Post by Estopolis »

After trying the test version I think the new weapon sounds are very good.
I especially like the Plasma Rifle.
The zombie sounds are fine but don't really fit in with most of the other monster sounds since they weren't touched.

Don't like the new Revenants.
Dan50

Post by Dan50 »

Will the BFG 10K and the grenade launcher ever be included in GzDoom's Brutal Doom? Also maybe have the new monster noises as a separate wad for people that do want to use them.
Cream-of-Plenty

Post by Cream-of-Plenty »

V16Test1 impressions:

Definitely on the fence regarding the sounds. They're crisp and clean, but some of them are ill-suited for the monsters, even if they do come from their Doom 3 counterparts. I'm not a big fan of the imp shouts, in particular. They're a little too reptilian / shrill. The plasma gun's report borders on "machine gun"--something more electronic would give it a more distinct identity, as in previous versions. The Mancubus cannon's audio goes on for a little too long, too. This is especially apparent when you fire a single shot that quickly hits its target, since the sound seems to play for a good 1.5 or 2 seconds.

Gameplay-wise, I love the cleaned up animations for the pump-action, but the iron-sights seem bugged. Sometimes a right-mouse click will bring them up right away, other times it feels like I have to hold it down a little too long in order to get them to pop up. I've also gotten stuck in a "jittery" animation between regular and iron-sights several times, which has prompted me to not use them.

The rifle, on the other hand, feels just right. Everything about it--its iron sights, magazine size, RoF, power, and sounds--are divine. Headshots feel especially wonderful with it. The only thing I'd like to see is an improved sprite at this point. I know the rifle's gone through numerous iterations already, but currently it's more or less a nondescript triangular shape; the black washes out most of its detail.

I'm curious if there are future plans for the Revenant Rocket Launchers, as I noticed they seem to have been removed. I feel like it's always been an underwhelming weapon with no distinct function: The Rocket Launcher and Grenade Launcher are better explosive weapons; the Plasma Rifle and Minigun are better automatic weapons. The Revenant Rocket Launchers are a strange marriage of the two concepts, resulting in a moderate-RoF, tight-explosion weapon that feels strangely impotent against most enemies. Compare it to the Mancubus Cannon--which has a lot of personality and is an absolute blast to use on crowds of lesser enemies like Zombies and Imps--and you'll realize that the weapon's just never been particularly fun to use.

I'm willing to say that if the weapon behaved more like it did for Revenants--firing twin, heat-seeking volleys--it would have a more distinct purpose in the Brutal Doom armory. Functioning as a "fire and forget" weapon, it could open up firefights in large areas against large groups of enemies. Imagine popping off 12-14 rounds on distant Hellknights before switching to another weapon to focus on closer threats. The missiles are slow, and they might not do as much damage as a direct GL hit, but they do the hard work, allowing you to deal with other targets. The ultimate force-multiplier.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Well, here's my sound edit.

http://www.mediafire.com/?um1y2x3s8uayxrg

Changes:

New sounds for switches/doors.
New SSG sound.
New "SHELL_IN" sound.
New mag drop sounds.
New revenant tracer explosion sound.
New rifle sound.
New "DSBOTTLE" sound.
New melee attack sounds.

Enjoy!
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Captain Mr. Chris wrote:Hey Archon, the monster sound pack definitely should be an optional addon as some of us want to hear the good old DSPOSIT# and soforth. :)
That's kind of the goal I'm trying to reach. :)

Anyway, I've finished the aforementioned monster sound pack and it's up for download:

Brutal Doom Monster Sound Pack- 7.38 MB

This addon is meant to be completely optional. However, it requires Brutal Doom, as it includes both the complete Brutal Chaingunguy actor and the complete Brutal Shotgunguy actor to incorporate the new Chaingunguy sounds, as well as fix a bug concerning the Shotgunguy not playing the new zombie sounds.

And, while I was at it, I've created an alternative sound pack, which is meant for testing purposes only. It replaces some sounds with some sounds from my archives, and some from SladeEXE's doing. It won't work with Brutal Doom itself, it's just here for Sarge_Mark_IV to have a look at it, but it's also here for the public to give critique on these sounds.

Brutal Doom Possible Sound Replacements- 1.49 MB
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Not fond with the player pain/death noises or the item pickup sound, as it's not subtle like the original DSITEMUP. :)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Hellstorm Archon wrote:
Captain Mr. Chris wrote:Hey Archon, the monster sound pack definitely should be an optional addon as some of us want to hear the good old DSPOSIT# and soforth. :)
That's kind of the goal I'm trying to reach. :)

Anyway, I've finished the aforementioned monster sound pack and it's up for download:

Brutal Doom Monster Sound Pack- 7.38 MB

This addon is meant to be completely optional. However, it requires Brutal Doom, as it includes both the complete Brutal Chaingunguy actor and the complete Brutal Shotgunguy actor to incorporate the new Chaingunguy sounds, as well as fix a bug concerning the Shotgunguy not playing the new zombie sounds.

And, while I was at it, I've created an alternative sound pack, which is meant for testing purposes only. It replaces some sounds with some sounds from my archives, and some from SladeEXE's doing. It won't work with Brutal Doom itself, it's just here for Sarge_Mark_IV to have a look at it, but it's also here for the public to give critique on these sounds.

Brutal Doom Possible Sound Replacements- 1.49 MB
I like your addon pack. My only complaints are that the Imp sounds are a little too loud, and the zombine sounds for the zombies feel out of the place.
DOOMGuy007

Post by DOOMGuy007 »

RV-007 wrote:
DOOMGuy007 wrote:...
The reload message is offensive...
I cleared out the reload message. Reload messages are not necessary since the other weapons have about the same lack of ammo count. Head shots for zombiemen and shotgunguys will not always directly work for every angle.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3531217/zdoomfo ... 4_edit.pk3
Zombieguy wrote:
SladeEXE wrote:I think it was tone down due to massive slow down.
Screw that. I doubt it makes a huge difference anyway. :/
Make the gore and decal unhide when in player's line of sight and hide when not in player's line of sight. This is the same like those flames. Should help reduce graphic/processor lag.
Yeah, but how come no muzzle flash for Pistol? Fine, I will have to make my OWN fucking addon for Brutal DOOM won't I? WON'T I??

(After numerous warnings, user finally got banned for this post. -mgmt)
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

DOOMGuy007 wrote:Yeah, but how come no muzzle flash for Pistol? Fine, I will have to make my OWN kek'n addon for Brutal DOOM won't I? WON'T I??
Yes, yes you will. So go and make whatever the hell it is you want already. (Hopefully this will end the pistol argument once and for all)

Remember If you don't like anyone's work, then you have 3 options.

1. Criticize, then stop there.
2. Edit the mod yourself, then show it or use it for your personal entertainment.
3. Make your own keken mod!

P.S. the rifle is fine as it is, the damn mod won a cacoward for this WITH the rifle, I don't think the sarge will change this entire mod just for one user's sake when a ton of users agree that It's fine the way it is.

To the sarge: Are you actually considering the berserk dual-wield suggestion(NOT the pistol, I mean like dual SG's, dual rifles or even dual chainguns)? It would be nice to know. Also, awhile back I saw a suggestion for using the archaron as a temporary walking turret, soaking most damage at the cost of speed and archaron's slow plasma gun. I think you could borrow a script from dwight from his mod: lizard squad. He had a script for a mech and a metal slug tank.

And to everyone else: Does anyone have a download link to the expanded armory of brutal doom? The dropbox link is down.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

DOOMGuy007 wrote:Yeah, but how come no muzzle flash for Pistol? Fine, I will have to make my OWN fucking addon for Brutal DOOM won't I? WON'T I??
Here, I made this for you. Sorry to hear about all these problems you're having with the mods people are going out of their way to make for you. Hopefully this one will help. Works best if you run it by itself.
BrutalDooMWithPistol.wad
(111.57 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Thus ends the saga of DoomGuy007. Let this be a lesson to us all - if a moderator tells you you're on Final Notice, there won't be any more warnings. Even something like this, like showing an utter lack of respect for one's fellow man, could result in one's inevitable banning.

DoomGuy007, grow the hell up. And when you do, well, you're just going to have to find another Doom-related forum.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”