[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

do you need E1M6? Cause NOD already sent it to me to work on
cyber-menace

Post by cyber-menace »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Regarding Z1M9, is it just your bit that needs improving or Bio's as well? His seems mostly done, although I do have one or two plans for it. (in your bit I've managed to improve the mountains by scaling the floor, but that's it so far)
I'm sure any little graphical touch-ups wouldn't hurt. Bio's section is very well detailed, so there probably isn't too much you could do to improove it anyway, but go ahead if you want.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

I must agree with Torm that this Vavoom Bashing is stupid. What is exactly ppl don't like Vavoom for-unlike Legacy-altough it has bugs it's waaaaaay more advanced than any other source port. 3d floors, quake style lighting, slopes, doh!!
I respect the author and his port just for the effort of implementing all this stuff to Vavoom and will NOT bash it.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Regarding Z1M9, is it just your bit that needs improving or Bio's as well? His seems mostly done, although I do have one or two plans for it. (in your bit I've managed to improve the mountains by scaling the floor, but that's it so far)
the room with the lift to the big nukage pool is only moderately detailed and the red key room and the blue key switch room were both thrown together real fast and are completly un-detailed. myabe you could add some crates or something?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nmn wrote:it's waaaaaay more advanced than any other source port.

Only if you reduce 'advancedness' to technical achievements. I think ZDoom is much more advanced because unlike Vavoom, ZDoom's scripting is significantly more versatile when it comes to controlling gameplay and it offers much more means to control the game.

Bottom line: You can do interesting architecture in Vavoom but little more than standard Doom/Hexen gameplay.
All the truly innovative ZDoom projects can't be done in it which reduces its 'advancedness' significantly. Think about it: no scrolling floors in Doom, no scripted actor control, no decent text output on the screen, no ambient sounds(!), no inventory items in Doom, no cross-game use of monsters and weapons, no easy way to add new monsters without risk of future incompatibilities (VavoomC doesn't count because it can't be used to create new actors without having to recompile the entire game code!) - it's missing quite a lot!

And let's not forget that default skyboxing of Vavoom. This one little issue that could easily be taken care of (but apparently nobody wants to!) ruins it completely for me and as long as this issue persists I will continue bashing Vavoom because until then it's worthless for anything but specifically created projects - and those are very rare.

(And that's all the Vavoon bashing I'm doing in this thread!)
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Lexus Alyus wrote: TDA: Stop being a dumb ass! How would you like it if I joined the anti "somethingthatyoulikealot" alliance!? Stop being so narrow minded! Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that the world revolves around you!
Erm. I did NOT say that the world revolves around me or even hinted that. The only reason I hate VaVoom is because I have been pissed off by it to an extreme degree.

And how would I like it if you did something like that? Frankly, I wouldn't care.

And I wasn't turning this thread in to a VaVoom bashing thread or was intending too.

I was just explaining my title.
Last edited by TheDarkArchon on Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

i still cant think of anything to do to Z1M4. hell, i cant even beat it...

i need a list of stuff to do please
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@BioHazard - Then add new areas and begin with placing monsters, straighten design and working on the route through the map!
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

One of my old ideas for E1M4 involved a comm tower above the base.
You make a lift somewhere, rising You get teleported to another identically looking elevator by teleport_group (the same thing right at the NEW beginning of the map-where You rise to the upper level by the elevator from the storage where the tram stops)
Once Your up on the tower You can make a really cool looking Phobos Outpost exterior. How's that for an idea?
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

actually, i had an idea
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Bio Hazard: As I said, the area where all the walls are light textures needs improving. Badly.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

yea, im revamping kirby's stuff. im trying to keep NMN's style (which is a bit difficult cause its not "MyStyle (TM)")
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Yeah, and ZdoomGL is really advanced because it allows pointless usage of point lights :D.

They are not very point lights! :D Or pointlessly lights... that are... point like... or something like that :D.

Anyway... my levels will be colourful and bright from now on... like, real psychadelic man! :D Maybe I should call them the LSD series or Mushroom Hill (a version of silent hill that is far more twisted :D)...

:twisted:
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

wow, that was profound

Return to “Levels”