Moments of Doom - Book now in development!!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Tormentor667

Moments of Doom - Book now in development!!!

Post by Tormentor667 »

I have just thought about collecting screenshots of the greatest moments in Doom, no matter what kind of. I thought about...
  • Great moments in original Doom games (e.g. UDoom, Doom2, Final Doom)
  • Greatest classic projects of all time (e.g. stuff like Batman Doom, Cleimos, Memento Mori, Alien Vanguard)
  • Greatest effects in classic projects (e.g. bridges, texture effects, other magic that was genious for the past)
  • Greatest modern projects (e.g. Action Doom, RTC-3057, Epic)
  • Generally any kind of Doom screenshots that is a blast and shows of incredible work of any kind, wether it's a wad, a map, a tc, a pc, a weapon mod, a special effect, etc. Everything's allowed, just keep it interesting
There are just a few rules to think about...
  • Any screenshot must be taken with deactivated HUD/SBAR/Weapon (screen fullsize)
  • Any screenshot must be taken without being targeted (+NOTARGET for example)
  • Any screenshot must be taken in at least 1024 x 786 resolution (the higher, the better - advanced port)
  • You are allowed to use any apsect ration of your screen resolution (e.g. 16:9, 16:10, 4:3, 5:4, etc.)
  • 32-Bit is allowed (the screenshots can look modern but should feel classic)
  • Special effects are allowed as long as they are part of the mod/project (yes to UTNT flames in UTNT, no to enhanced particles in Batman Doom for example)
  • When submitting something, you have to name the project title, the file link, the author and one sentence which describes why it is so special or what people can see
  • It is allowed to show off weapon/effect mods in other projects but not vice versa (showing of projects by adding weapon/effect mods)
  • GZDoom/Doomsday enhancements are fine as long as they are within the spirit of the original project (for example it wouldn't work well with Cutmanmike's MegaMan deathmatch, as it's supposed to be 8-bit!)
For clean shots here's something you can put in your ZDoom autoexec.cfg:

Code: Select all

alias	savescrn	"set ep_screenblocks $screenblocks; set ep_crosshair $crosshair; set ep_show_messages $show_messages"
alias	cleansrn	"savescrn;hidescrn;wait;screenshot;wait;resetsrn"
alias	hidescrn	"r_drawplayersprites 0;screenblocks 12;crosshair 0;show_messages 0"
alias	resetsrn	"r_drawplayersprites 1;crosshair $ep_crosshair;screenblocks $ep_screenblocks;show_messages $ep_show_messages"
The main reasons for doing this are two things I have currently in mind
  • The less interesting point is adding these to the Realm667 as "Screenshot of the Moment", nothing special
  • The more interesting thing is that I have planned to create a "Doom Photo Book"
This kind of book is going to be a nice-to-have goody, completely printed and bound as a high quality book that you can order directly. I am working as a media designer in a large marketing and printing agency, so doing this won't be a big deal for me. My main goal also isn't to earn a lot of money, so the production costs and the shipping will go directly from the print store to the people who are interested in this. For me it's simply something I'd like to do because it's a nice thing. And if other people want this as well, I am happy about it :) So right now, before starting with the whole layout and the concept, I just need material. This is actually a community thing and with some support, it might become a pretty cool community thing - it would be kinda hard to collect all the screenshots on my own later ;) On the one hand I might miss something, on the other hand I do not have everyone's taste.

So thanks for your support and I am looking forward to your feedback concerning this.
Best regards,
Torm

News from 26th of February 2012:
http://www.realm667.com/index.php?optio ... 6#JOSC_TOP
Now in development! Keep your screenshots coming!
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
Mike12

Re: The best moments of Doom! - The Book!

Post by Mike12 »

EQUINOX - by B.P.R.D
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11412

Equinox has always held a special place for me with not only it's frantic gameplay, but also its unique visual style and architecture, which it wastes no time in establishing as you start the first level:

(Hopefully I did this right, this sounds like a pretty cool project :D)
Tormentor667

Re: The best moments of Doom! - The Book!

Post by Tormentor667 »

Perfect, thanks for getting it started :)
Enjay

Re: The best moments of Doom! - Hang in!

Post by Enjay »

Well, I'm going to guess that this isn't really what you are looking for but, for me, this is still one of the most evocative views on Doom.

Second would actually be a sequence of sounds - music "Nobody Told Me About Id" starting, the flick of a switch, stairs rising, a door opening, along the way a pickup or two being gathered, the sound of a weapon firing - then, the sound of a cyberdemon's roar followed by the mechanical stomp-stomp-stomp of his hooves... :D
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Actually exactly what I would like to see :) That, and anything else that fits the above description :)
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Enjay wrote:Second would actually be a sequence of sounds - music "Nobody Told Me About Id" starting, the flick of a switch, stairs rising, a door opening, along the way a pickup or two being gathered, the sound of a weapon firing - then, the sound of a cyberdemon's roar followed by the mechanical stomp-stomp-stomp of his hooves... :D
or good old doomhell.mod
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Enjay wrote:Second would actually be a sequence of sounds - music "Nobody Told Me About Id" starting, the flick of a switch, stairs rising, a door opening, along the way a pickup or two being gathered, the sound of a weapon firing - then, the sound of a cyberdemon's roar followed by the mechanical stomp-stomp-stomp of his hooves... :D
Something like this...

http://www.mediafire.com/?j5pxcxjb2lzsdav

Not sure why one hoof sound is much louder than the rest.
leileilol wrote:or good old doomhell.mod
Ah yes, I've got that somewhere too.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

*points at the screenshot request* :roll:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Hey...not to be a spoilsport or anything, but does this really classify as a Project? I'd honestly consider this better placed in the General forum...
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

Who said projects have to be done in wad format? ;)
The screenshots are bleeding off the layout here, though, just sayin'...

EDIT: Oh!
Spoiler:
MAP26: Luxor of Epic 2. That view really impressed me when I first saw it.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Not to be a spoilsport or anything, but shouldn't you have moved it when you noticed it should have been in general? :P
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

leileilol wrote:or good old doomhell.mod
hellyes
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

For anyone who was around "back in the day" - particularly if, like me, you were lucky enough to have access to an IPX network - you'll remember just how amazing being able to connect two or more machines together and play with other people was. It was nothing short of a complete revolution in the way people played games. My friends and I used to go in to my work on Saturday mornings, fire up the network and Coop through an episode or two. Then we'd knock the living crap out of each other deathmatching. I don't think it is possible to get across just how mind blowing it was to realise that those other marines on the screen were your buddies sitting in the nearby rooms.

That was just before I took up teaching. When I did, you can be pretty sure that I very quickly established how to get Doom on to the network and started an after school gaming club. Damn that was a popular club! :)

For me, the map that sticks out in my mind as characterising those very early sessions is E1M2, particularly the big open area outside.

esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

It'd probably be best for sky stretching not to be used in these shots, because it distorts things pretty terribly.

(Particles, too)
cq75
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cq75 »

"Back in the day"? I enjoy playing Doom1 in deathmatch even now.

Return to “General”