[v1.0.0] NecroDoom - Ye olde mech-suit mod.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xaser

[v1.0.0] NecroDoom - Ye olde mech-suit mod.

Post by Xaser »

NecroDoom v1.0.0 -- download it!

NecroDoom is a gameplay mod featuring the Necrosuit, a heavy-weapons exoskeleton capable of delivering large doses of whoopass to anything that moves (or doesn't move, for that matter). It's mostly just a showoff mod for the recently-ripped Necrodome weapons, but I got a bit carried away and implemented a few neat things that should hopefully make for an interesting gameplay experience.

Full list o' Features:
  • 6 new weapons, ranging from twin chainguns to rocket pods.
  • Brand-new (sorta) military hardware, including the crowd-pleasing Napalm Bomb
  • Revolutionary (not really) dismount system -- enter/exit the Necrosuit at will (and blow it up if you so desire!)
  • New HUD, SFX, and title music for grins.
  • NEW: Cross-game compatibility! Works in all the Dooms, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife!
General Notes:
  • The mod requires at least version 2.6.1 of ZDoom. If the mod fails to start up, you need to upgrade already. ;)
  • Inventory items are used for various things, so make sure you've got inventory controls set up.
  • While the fullscreen HUD is supported, the weapon offsets leave much to be desired. Status bar is recommended.
  • Co-op is supported, although player translations do not yet work. DM is completely untested, but the plan is to support it eventually.
Necrosuit entering/exiting Notes:
  • To exit/enter the Necrosuit, utilize the "EXIT" inventory item. It's always available.
  • When on foot (becoming a "Runner", as Necrodome calls it), the empty Necrosuit CAN be damaged and destroyed. When it goes boom, it makes a rather large explosion, so be careful.
  • As a Runner, one can remote-detonate the suit via the Detonator ("DETO") inventory item. You have to use the item twice in order to actually confirm and execute detonation, for safety purposes.
  • Exiting the Necrosuit is primarily useful as a last-ditch escape method. When outside the suit, you're equipped with a decent infinite-ammo shotgun but have a limited pool of health (100 points, and Runners cannot heal).
  • If the suit is destroyed when you're on foot, a new one will be spawned at the starting point with base health (100HP, 0AP) and all previous weapons, ammo, and gear intact. Note that the Union Aerospace Corporation is NOT responsible for any situation in which a newly-spawned suit cannot be reached (e.g. MAP29). You have been warned. :P
  • Finishing a level while on foot will return the player to the Necrosuit at the beginning of the next map. If the Necrosuit is destroyed when the map is finished, the player spawns in a new suit with 100HP (0 armor) and full gear, as before.
  • If you die in the suit, you die for real. ;P
- - -

There used to be a crap-ton of other notes here, but most of those have been moved to the mod's textfile (also wadinfo.txt inside the .pk3). This version is hopefully final, though we all know what "final" really means. ;)

Have fun with it, and lemme know what you think!
Last edited by Xaser on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 9 times in total.
CruX

Re: [BETA] NecroDoom

Post by CruX »

Hah, love the beeping when you exit.

"How come I can't find any valets for this thing?"
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Yes.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nice. I like how the suited player uses different stances when firing depending on on which weapon is being used.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Oh resources, you spawn such nice things.
GuildNavigator

Post by GuildNavigator »

2 words: BAD ASS! (mod)

Such a beautiful HUD... and weapons. Gorgeously frightening..
Project_Hellbane

Post by Project_Hellbane »

I'm receiving this error
Gzdoom wrote
Script Error, "xa-necro.wad:decorate" line 1266:
"inventory.forbiddento" is an unknown actory property

what does this mean? is there a fix? if so please tell me.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Project_Hellbane wrote:I'm receiving this error
Gzdoom wrote
Script Error, "xa-necro.wad:decorate" line 1266:
"inventory.forbiddento" is an unknown actory property

what does this mean? is there a fix? if so please tell me.
What version of GZDoom are you using?
Project_Hellbane

I don't know how do you check? sorry still a noob :D
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Project_Hellbane wrote:I don't know how do you check? sorry still a noob :D
Open up GZDoom and hit the tilde key (that key above Tab & right of 1), and in the bottom right of the console box, you should see the SVN (subversion) number. It'll be a number in the thousands.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hmm, forgot to mention that the mod requires an SVN build. Fixed. Seems almost as if that's implied these days. :P

But yeah, his version's definitely not recent enough.
Project_Hellbane

Thanks, fixed it.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I've been tooling around with this for a bit, and in all honesty, it's not quite as awesome as I was expecting...despite the player being in an armored suit, you really don't get much of a feeling that you're any more powerful than your bog-standard FPS hero. No heavy clanking footsteps, the weapons really don't do a lot of damage (I frequently found myself running out of H-V shells on Darken2 map01), even the slightly increased player height doesn't seem to help much.

The graphics are excellent, though, and I have no complaints about the sound effects (outside of the aforementioned lack of clanking footsteps).
NuroGL

Post by NuroGL »

Holy hell! I loved Necrodome as a wee lil shit! This is definately what im after! Choice as mate!
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

If it doesn't really feel like you're in a mech, perhaps taking damage while in the mech could look different, ie cause the hud to go on the fritz momentairily, or put some kind of staticky filter across the screen. While the footsteps idea sounds cool at first, I think it should be something the player can turn off, if implemented. I could imagine it getting very annoying after a while.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”