[WIP] GZDoom - Survivor (demo released)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Drakon

[WIP] GZDoom - Survivor (demo released)

Post by Drakon »

This mod will be my first official release so I hope you will like it (when I finnish it). GZDoom only.

Description
Mod is story driven via in-game messages. It is simply about survival of crashed army pilot. Since he is not armed you have to create or find all your weapons by yourself. There is modified inventory system so you can carry only limited number of items. From items you find you can create new items via crafting (for example: sticks + feather -> arrows). Very important aspect will be material finding. Some materials are only dropped by certain enemies so it is up to the player if he wants to fight them and create something more advanced. Nearly all weapons have durability so they breaks after some time. Maps are formed into hubs so you can return later with better gear. In the end will be epilog with many possible endings based on some specific player actions. All new features are described in tutorial map.

Main features
Crafting and inventory system
Completely new enemies (some are only slightly modified)
Boss and miniboss fights
Special abilites of some enemies (for example hit-and-run tactics)
Damage types and resistances
Large selection of weapons (currently there are 8, several created from scratch)
Big maps, some with unique playstyle (dense fog, quicksand...)
3D floors, skyboxes, dynamic lights
Heavy ACS scripting (HUD, events, regeneration)
Many possible endings (based on defeated bosses for example)

Screenshots
Forest map
Spoiler:
Crypt map
Spoiler:
HUD
Spoiler:
Demo
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?d7w3ubcqk2gxq5t
Demo contains first map + tutorial map. If you want to try it I recommend to start with the tutorial because of new features. Intro/Outro is not complete yet so for the introduction story: you are survivor of crashed fighter jet during alien invasion (I'll have to work on this). If you find bugs, spelling errors or can suggest good improvement I'll be glad :).
Note: Please do not use IDKFA cheat, it ruins my inventory system.

Progress
I have about half of the game finnished. Most of the features are already implemented. I want to release this mod in 3 months but it can take more time.

Updates
I updated link to demo. I´m not sure why but it stopped working.
I also added fists as a starting weapon. But it is a last resort "weapon".
Last edited by Drakon on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
Scripten

Re: [WIP] GZDoom - Survivor

Post by Scripten »

This actually looks pretty cool. Can you elaborate a bit on the crafting system? Does it have an interface with recipes, or do you just select what you want crafted and the respective ingredients get removed?
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Scripten wrote:This actually looks pretty cool. Can you elaborate a bit on the crafting system? Does it have an interface with recipes, or do you just select what you want crafted and the respective ingredients get removed?
Thanks :). Yes you can select which crafting recipe you want and if you have all requested materials and tools you can create it. I add new screenshot with HUD.
Captain Proof

Post by Captain Proof »

Doomcraft?(I kid of course) It looks pretty good, I'll definitely play it.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Captain Proof wrote:Doomcraft?(I kid of course) It looks pretty good, I'll definitely play it.
Well the original idea was from Fallout On-line. I´m thinking of releasing demo version with first map + tutorial map for testing.
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Oh gee, some of those textures/sprites look familiar! :D
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Looking nice! It kind of reminds me of Skyrim. :)
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

chopkinsca wrote:Oh gee, some of those textures/sprites look familiar! :D
Well yes there are some your textures/sprites but I asked for permission :D. Some of them are modified (like loggun, it is simple stick now :)).
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Drakon wrote:
chopkinsca wrote:Oh gee, some of those textures/sprites look familiar! :D
Well yes there are some your textures/sprites but I asked for permission :D. Some of them are modified (like loggun, it is simple stick now :)).
As long as you credit me it's fine. Good luck on the project, looks good.
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

This looks great! Let me know if you need any help with resource/graphics, looks very promising so far!
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Mike12 wrote:This looks great! Let me know if you need any help with resource/graphics, looks very promising so far!
Well I have most of graphics needed for this and rest should be quite easy to finnish. Only thing I can think of right now is font. I use standart doom font which is only uppercase. If you know of decent font with both uppercase and lowercase I would be very grateful. :)
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Drakon wrote: quite easy to finnish.
.. more seriously, this looks rather promising!
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

This looks right up my alley, I'd love to try out a demo if you release one.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

JimmyJ wrote:This looks right up my alley, I'd love to try out a demo if you release one.
I planned to release demo this weekend. I still want to finnish some work that affects even the demo part.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Well I have created demo from my WAD. it contains first map + tutorial. I'll upload it during this day. Anyone knows about good upload site?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”