[Release] Icon of Sin Boss Fight for Doom 2 v07

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
RV-007

[Release] Icon of Sin Boss Fight for Doom 2 v07

Post by RV-007 »

Seeing that my efforts to bring general online support to the recent zdoom codes/scripts, I moved on.
This wad allows the Icon of Sin to personally attempt to grill your ass. Two wads for both offline and Skulltag. If you got questions/comments, ask on this thread. Yes, the parent/child relationship script between bossbrain, raileyes, and fireybreath actors/objects is still under development.

Icon of Sin Boss Fight for Doom 2:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3531217/zdoomfo ... om2v07.wad
Below is a link of a sample sprite for the upcoming sin spawns:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3531217/zdoomfo ... _skull.zip

Here are the screenshots:
Spoiler:
Notes + Standard:
Spoiler:
Last edited by RV-007 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:54 am, edited 34 times in total.
taufan99

Re: [WIP] iconofsinbossfight_v00

Post by taufan99 »

cool mod so far. but after playing this mod, i don't like your way making him powered up. he was overpowered now, and with exception you are/were a super cheater, you almost can't beat him now. Invulnerability sphere is FULLY needed now.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Is that a modification of the original map or an edited bosseye that spawns a bunch of actors?
'cause if you just added actor to the base map, you'll need to take that down because it's not edited sufficiently.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Looks like the former.

That aside, making the Icon of Sin into a true boss rather than just a summoner is a really nice concept, one that definitely deserves a chance. Editing the map itself isn't the best way to go about this, though, mostly because it renders it incompatible with hundreds of other mods.
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

taufan99 wrote:cool mod so far. but after playing this mod, i don't like your way making him powered up. he was overpowered now, and with exception you are/were a super cheater, you almost can't beat him now. Invulnerability sphere is FULLY needed now.
I know that the Icon of Sin is much tougher. This wad will most likely be for online (or not, depends).
terranova wrote:Is that a modification of the original map or an edited bosseye that spawns a bunch of actors?
'cause if you just added actor to the base map, you'll need to take that down because it's not edited sufficiently.
TerminusEst13 wrote:Looks like the former.

That aside, making the Icon of Sin into a true boss rather than just a summoner is a really nice concept, one that definitely deserves a chance. Editing the map itself isn't the best way to go about this, though, mostly because it renders it incompatible with hundreds of other mods.
That's a great idea to have the bosseye (there's only one, right?) to spawn the additional actors rather than to edit the map. That way, I don't have worry about combining other wads. Someone might want to use this idea on their own wad w/o editing the map as well. I hope that the bosseye actor won't respawn the actors. Changes will be done after two revisions.
Tapwave

Post by Tapwave »

RV-007 wrote: That's a great idea to have the bosseye (there's only one, right?)
Depends on the map. I think plutonia 2's Gatekeeper has 5 or so spawners, and HR1's IoS has 3-5 spawner.
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

terranova wrote:
RV-007 wrote: That's a great idea to have the bosseye (there's only one, right?)
Depends on the map. I think plutonia 2's Gatekeeper has 5 or so spawners, and HR1's IoS has 3-5 spawner.
This is going to be a challenge, lol. Maybe the bossbrain will be more helpful. The bosseyes and bossbrains might have the same DoomEd # (http://www.zdoom.org/wiki/Standard_editor_numbers). For sure, I will try spawning the actors by map coordinates rather than offsets (hope this is possible). I think it would be easier to just make different actors (bosseyes/bossbrains) for different wads w/ the Icon of Sin. Will also provide proper names (to file and thread) so that people will know which wad to use.
Last edited by RV-007 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

@OP: One thing I can't help but noticing is that you keep using the wad filename as the thread title instead of the actual mod title, which looks weird as hell. Spaces exist for a reason. :P
RV-007

Re: [WIP] Icon of Sin Boss Fight for Doom 2 Version 03

Post by RV-007 »

Thread names will be fixed. New version of wad out (and in estimate of four hours); includes Skulltag version.
I'll get around Plutonia 2 and HR1 (the Eygptian Icon of Sin, right) soon enough.
Tapwave

Post by Tapwave »

RV-007 wrote: I'll get around Plutonia 2 and HR1 (the Eygptian Icon of Sin, right) soon enough.
Nope, PL2's is basically a giant 3d one that looks better, and the one from HR1 is basically the same than vanillia, just with added eyes.
printz

Post by printz »

They're not eyes, they're foreheads.
Tapwave

Post by Tapwave »

Eyes as in Bosseye actors :p
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

I can't say for Hell Revealed 1 b/c the final boss is just the same Icon of Sin (although I realize that having the rails and flames could help clear out some of the monsters [it's really a difficult map!]). I might get to Hell Revealed 1 later.
As for the Plutonia2 final boss, I can do. There are other (aesthetically different) final bosses like in the Plutonia2 Revisited Community Project; however, I myself won't provide the rail/flame/etc actors to any final boss. I feel that some final bosses don't cut it for me to give them additional powers. The reasons could be that the map is already difficult enough or that the appearance/wad isn't to my liking. I know it's opinionated, but if anyone wants to slap rail/flames on a boss, I won't stand in your way.

The GateWatcher boss in the Plutonia2 pwad is a real bitch to setup. The face popup wall/texture was hindering my original design to use railguns on each eye. I had to make compromise in replacing the rail attacks for a custom missile. I make up that flaw with occasional spawning of boss cube monsters that do RAIL attacks so that should somewhat fill my expectation.
Wad and information on GateWatcher boss in other thread: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=31715
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

Wouldn't you know it, but there is a similar IOS sprite from the Spear of Destiny title. This miniature IOS is impaled like John Romero's head. I think will call this sprite "Sin Spawn". From the brain of the IOS, these things appear and will try and nimble the player, lol. Will also be included for the GateWatcher.

See the link @ OP.
Last edited by RV-007 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marine Infierno
Location: Colombia , Bogota , my aunt's house xD (my geek house)

Post by Marine Infierno »

When I read the title I thought it was the icon of sin in body ( although still very good idea 8-) )

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”