Doom: Mutation V2.1 Released! 6/6/12

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
amv2k9

Doom: Mutation V2.1 Released! 6/6/12

Post by amv2k9 »

What Is Mutation?
A weapons mod and monster randomizer that uses NO new graphics. Time permitting, I'd like to integrate the planned RPG features, which will allow you to upgrade your weapons and gain perks that modify certain aspects of your character by killing monsters.

The Reliquary:
Spoiler:
The Armory:
Spoiler:
Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Download:
Mutation - Version 2.1
Last edited by amv2k9 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ravick

Re: Doom: Mutation

Post by Ravick »

Yay! I love translation fest mods! :D

Its very cool!

But.. no changes on the mancubi??
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Ravick wrote:But.. no changes on the mancubi??
I did have a Mancubus variant, but it needs lots of work; basically it shot super-damaging clouds of poison gas at close range, but its long-range gas grenades weren't working.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Very well done, but there are a few things which bother me:
  • Rockets from the rocket launcher make no sound on exploding.
  • The grenade from the shotgun does not appear to cause explosive damage.
  • The Rocket Launcher's alt-fire doesn't consume ammo. If I broke it myself with some cheats I used (inadvertently), then a "don't do that" would be acceptable. :P
  • The Chainsawgun isn't very useful. The pistol's alt-fire can achieve a better rate of fire, but the chainsawgun is more accurate. However, it comes with chainsaws to encourage close-range combat. It just doesn't feel right.
  • Wouldn't it make more sense for the quad shotgun to expel two shots before having to reload when using its primary attack?
That's all I can remember from my quick playthrough earlier today. Despite the flaws, this is really fun and well-done.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Thanks for the feedback ChronoSeth! I'll get onto fixing those issues.

This has me a little confused, though...
ChronoSeth wrote:...grenades not doing explosive damage...
I've never had the grenade not go off and do damage. I launch one into a crowd and it always does damages to the enemies caught up in it :?
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

This is really. . . something. On the one hand, great job sprucing up the weapons and amping up the challenge by adding the new enemy types. On the other, a few nitpicks: having to use medkits/stimpacks manually can really be awkward in the middle of a fight, especially when there are dozens of bad guys and ample supplies that you can't just use when needed. Maybe if there was a way to add them to your inventory when your health was full, that would be better. Also, said new enemies like the invisible chaingunners and the arch-vile-Caco-thingamajiger just plain suck when you're in a bad spot and can't handily find a way to dispatch them.

Otherwise, kudos!
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Steve1664 wrote:having to use medkits/stimpacks manually can really be awkward in the middle of a fight, especially when there are dozens of bad guys and ample supplies that you can't just use when needed. Maybe if there was a way to add them to your inventory when your health was full, that would be better.
This is what I originally intended to do with them, and I think I'll do that for the next version.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

amv2k9 wrote:
Steve1664 wrote:having to use medkits/stimpacks manually can really be awkward in the middle of a fight, especially when there are dozens of bad guys and ample supplies that you can't just use when needed. Maybe if there was a way to add them to your inventory when your health was full, that would be better.
This is what I originally intended to do with them, and I think I'll do that for the next version.
Aaand maybe auto-using when low on health; It's easy to do, but if you dunno how to do it, I can handle it.
amv2k9

Re: Doom: Mutation V2 Released! 1/2/12

Post by amv2k9 »

Magban724 wrote:Aaand maybe auto-using when low on health; It's easy to do, but if you dunno how to do it, I can handle it.
I know how, but I need to see if it will work out ok. From Version 2 on, Stimpaks and Medkits are handled differently to allow for instant health refill on pickup, or added to inventory if health is near max.

Version 2 is out! Check the first post for the download

Version 2 Changelog:
-Explosion sound added to rockets.
-Quad Shotgun can fire twice in primary fire mode before reloading.
-Hold down primary fire when using the Chainsawgun to achieve a faster firing rate. Faster firing degrades accuracy, however.
-Rocket Launcher altfire now takes away Cell ammo properly.
-Plasma Rifle altfire now takes away Cell ammo properly.
-Infernal Baron corpses now disappear completely instead of going translucent.
-When health is at 90 or below, Stimpaks will be used automatically instead of going into inventory. Same goes for the Medkit, except it will be used automatically if health is 75 or below.
-Previously, picking up the Quad Shotgun in a level would give you a glitched version that "locked" you into that weapon, due to a backup version being kept in the actor definition. Said glitch didn't happen when using the "summon" console command. This has been fixed.
-Previously, picking up a Berserk didn't select the fist. This has been fixed.
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

I've been trying out the new version with the demo for TNT2 (which has been fun, by the way), and it's working fine; I really appreciate the change to the inventory system. Holy crap does the chaingun eat up ammo when it's going into overdrive though. Still, I'd rather have a ton of dead enemies and have to worry about ammo than have a bunch eating my face while I'm still plinking away at them. Also, I wouldn't object if the mini-Berserk gave you something like a 50-point health boost, or at least something to justify using it in lieu of waiting to find a berserk pack in a level.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing variants of those Wolfenstein Nazis. In the mode similar to Order vs. Chaos, you not gaining health back because of killing them can be very problematic to say the least.
amv2k9

Re: Doom: Mutation V2.1 Released! 6/6/12

Post by amv2k9 »

Version 2.1 of Mutation is now out! Check the first post for the download.

Fixes/Changes/Additions:
-SBARINFO uses forcescaled to make the HUD easier to see at higher resolutions.
-WolfensteinSS enemy now gives health on the "Run and Gun" difficulties.
-WolfensteinSS variants have now been added.
-Large ammo pickups now break down into small ammo pickups when they're damaged or run over. Should make picking up ammo less wasteful, for example, when a map forces you to grab a large ammo pickup and you're only down by a few rounds.
-Time between monster respawns doubled on the Run & Gun: Extreme difficulty.
-DamageFactor decreased from 2 to 1.75 on the Run & Gun: Extreme difficulty.
-The first standard sergeant enemy you see will always drop a shotgun. Successive sergeants have a greater chance of dropping shells, but may occasionally drop the shotty which also gives you some explosive ammo.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

I love the ammo pickup breakdown feature, wasting 19 shells cause I'm almost topped off makes my OCD kick in and I get frustrated.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Download now hosted @ Mediafire.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”