HEH support

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
SargeBaldy

HEH support

Post by SargeBaldy »

i attempted to use a HeHacked patch for ZooM, then was disappointed to find ZDoom doesn't have support for it. will it in the future?
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

This has been asked many times before, and the answer has always been no.
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

why the heck not? that would be incredibly useful, especially considering people are using a lot more heretic items in doom wads. and i'm sure there's a lot of really cool things you could use the codepointers for. is the source for it not released or something?
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Because it would be a pain in the ass for Randy to continually update the code to support it.

Post-compile editors like DHE and HHE rely on the EXE always being in the same state. Basically, by exploring the EXE with a hex editor, the author was able to flag certain locations within the file. The location of the Imp's starting health, for example. Or the frame table, etc. When you load in a patch, the EXE is hacked and those locations are changed to the settings you choose. This worked just fine when updates to the Doom executable were few and far between. However, every time Randy recompiles ZDoom, the locations of all the data changed, and the DHE code had to be rewritten. As I understand it, he's overcome that by writing an extensive handler for .bex/.deh files. However the prospect of doing it all over again to add HHE support is not something he wants to contemplate. :P

In short: You're not getting HHE support, no matter how much you ask for it, so don't expect to ever have it. The only way you're going to be able to modify the Heretic/Hexen pointers etc is through DoomScript, and that's gonna be a LONG time in coming.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

HotWax wrote:Because it would be a pain in the ass for Randy to continually update the code to support it. ...and other relevant stuff.
Randy has also said that he has already implemented a number of things in such a way that would make HHE (and HEX for Hexen) patches impossible to support.

So as HotWax implied WFDS™ is the answer.
Mighty Duck X-treme

Post by Mighty Duck X-treme »

Enjay wrote:So as HotWax implied WFDS™ is the answer.
Heh, I guess you got that trademark sign from one of my posts :p

I used the Character Map to obtain it. However, I have now learned to type it in by turning on the Num Lock, then by doing the following: Alt+0153
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Mighty Duck X-treme wrote:Heh, I guess you got that trademark sign from one of my posts :p
I was using it on the old phorum too. :P

But you're right, I did find it with charmap because I can never remember the alt keystokes for any extended characters, except maybe the ü in Lüt. :)
Mighty Duck X-treme

Post by Mighty Duck X-treme »

By the way, how is Lüt pronounced?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Loot I think.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

"Lüt" not Loot. Uh, like from überleet.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hirogen2 wrote:"Lüt" not Loot. Uh, like from überleet.

Ahhhh you mean like ooberleet? :P

Lüt/ Loot

über/ oober

All sounds the same to this native English speaker. :?

Edit:

Aha! Help was at hand via Google.

"Say Ü as in the French Word Sûr. This ü sound does not have an English equivalent. If you speak French, though, you're in luck: The ü is very close to the u sound in the French word sûr. If, on the other hand, you've never spoken a word of French in your life, say ee, hold your jaw and tongue in this position, and then round your lips as if you were pronouncing u."
Last edited by Enjay on Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I've never seen the term "leet" used in any way other than to mock people who say "leet." You know, ones who say it not ironically. I hear they are an endangered species; people ought to be more sensitive.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

>Ahhhh you mean like ooberleet? :P
No .... :(
Can't help it. There is no ü in phonetic language for the English :)

"Say Ü as in the French Word Sûr. This ü sound does not have an English equivalent. If you speak French, though, you're in luck: The ü is very close to the u sound in the French word sûr. If, on the other hand, you've never spoken a word of French in your life, say ee, hold your jaw and tongue in this position, and then round your lips as if you were pronouncing u."[/quote] Yeah that's it. In fact, sûr is that ü. But not that deep, since it is Lüt (short ü), not Lütt (very short ü since double t).

Return to “General”